Science ... Nuclear / An Open Discussion ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

After watching Chernobyl, the 5-part mini series from HBO, I know there are many inaccuracies, I researched and still am extensively on nuclear energy and what it all means from all aspects of the fences.
I didn't study this subject @ the university, I did not get any diploma, I never worked remotely close to a central nuclear reactor, I know less than nothing except for Wikipedia, articles, few books, HBO TV, the Internet, You Tube, etc.
I trust no one, I believe no one, science is mainly Mickey mouse stuff (sarcasm emoji here), and subjectivity is even less.

Then why starting a thread about nuclear? It's the energy of our future, they are building more and more nuclear reactors today and tomorrow. Nuclear powers cities, sound systems, refregirators, Air Conditioning, cars of tomorrow, jet planes, etc.

An accident like Chernobyl only killed 31 people, then why make a big deal, why is it HBO most watched program right now, why people care?

This is open to discussion, for learning more about everything nuclear that we don't know.
I know nothing, that's why I'm starting this thread...to discuss in the hope to learn from others.

If someone has an interest on this subject, great, if not I won't be talking to myself and I will simply explore another subject where people have a greater interest, like home audio improvements, live music recordings, microphones, loud music reproduction, soft music listening, musicians we like, music we love with passion and emotion, while we are still alive on this beautiful blue planet.

* That Chernobyl show on HBO had a small impact; there are numbers interesting for science studying, there is a lot to learn, I would love to learn more, to discuss nuclear seriously and everything related as a serious adult living on the same planet as the other 7.65 billion* people living today on it.

I could have chose solar power energy, wind turbines, wave generators, fossil fuels, etc., I picked nuclear, that's all.
Where do we go, who do we trust, what does it take to make a mistake that would cause the next manmade catastrophe? It's up to who?

* Billion, not million.

Last edited:

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
Just for the record, the reactor that exploded at Chernobyl was graphite moderated and water cooled. The graphite pile had no container envelope surrounding the pile. The pile was out in the open inside a cement building. For these and other reasons related to its implementation, it was an accident waiting to happen. Not even the reactors at Hanford, WA were as dangerous, and they have all been decommissioned.

Estimates of the direct and indirect (long and short term) mortality and morbidity impacts of the explosion are controversial.

Reactions: NorthStar

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Then why starting a thread about nuclear? It's the energy of our future, they are building more and more nuclear reactors today and tomorrow. Nuclear powers cities, sound systems, refregirators, Air Conditioning, cars of tomorrow, jet planes, etc

Not so sure that this is correct. No doubt more nuclear generators however as pointed out Chernobyl was an old fashioned graphite tipped and this was the cause of the nuclear reactor becoming a nuclear bomb when the graphite tipped rods were re-inserted

Further the way I see it is that the energy of the future is solar and that is here now. In the next 20 years over 50% of houses in America will have solar and within 50 years every house will be built with solar

Here is the stat for world wide nuclear generators

450 nuclear power reactors exist around the world today
Around 11% of the world's electricity is generated by about 450 nuclear power reactors. About 60 more reactors are under construction, equivalent to about 15% of existing capacity. In 2017 nuclear plants supplied 2487 TWh of electricity, up from 2477 TWh in 20161.

Reactions: NorthStar

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
[(...) Then why starting a thread about nuclear? (...)

Probably for the pleasure of having another almost religious-political flamed thread in WBF, that will have no connection to audio unless someone has a private nuclear power for his system.

Considering that the main input seems to be a movie and a quote from the World Nuclear Association I can't see the point in producing coffee-talk around nuclear in WBF. Surely IMHO and YMMV.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Probably for the pleasure of having another almost religious-political flamed thread in WBF, that will have no connection to audio unless someone has a private nuclear power for his system.

Considering that the main input seems to be a movie and a quote from the World Nuclear Association I can't see the point in producing coffee-talk around nuclear in WBF. Surely IMHO and YMMV.

Of all the WBF members you are one who I respect the most.
Yes Francisco, the main reason why I started this thread is for Steve and Ron to make WBF strictly a high end audio forum. I'm kidding of course.

My intro was with a video, did you even watch it, did you also watch HBO Chernobyl?
If not you are very welcome.

And your reference to politic and religion; please we sure don't need it my very dear friend.
If you cannot discuss the subject without intelligence, please don't comment.
You lost a brownie point here Francisco. Don't piss in my cereals today, just don't.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Steve and Ron, you operate a website with various subjects; space, films, TV shows, science, technology, music, kitchen appliances, beds, computers, speakers, turntables. CD players, cars, pets, photography, ...and much much more.

If you don't want those subjects, just get rid of them.
If you do then move forward and respect good ethics and good policies for everyone.
Francisco's comment you just thanked him. Please close this thread, it goes against WBF TOS.

I'll stick with audio, no more science, no more photos, no more TV shows, no more movies, ...just audio. That way everyone is on the same page and Francisco's comment above, with your approval, ...we're all better off.

If you don't want to learn more about nuclear, and you think you know already everything there is to know, close this thread.

Let's move on and talk other things instead...like music, and films too...both are part of our culture. Nuclear is not part of stuff we like talking about because we already know it all. Emoji here with humor.

You don't want a nuclear discussion, no problemo...you made that very clear.
Let's talk fast cars and fast audio...we all love that and there's zero fear.
I really don't care about nuclear, that's the true reason I started this thread. Emoticon here with a smile in his face.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Of all the WBF members you are one who I respect the most.
Yes Francisco, the main reason why I started this thread is for Steve and Ron to make WBF strictly a high end audio forum. I'm kidding of course.

My intro was with a video, did you even watch it, did you also watch HBO Chernobyl?
If not you are very welcome.

And your reference to politic and religion; please we sure don't need it my very dear friend.
If you cannot discuss the subject without intelligence, please don't comment.
You lost a brownie point here Francisco. Don't piss in my cereals today, just don't.

Bob,

Please do not take my opinion as a personal attack on you. It is my understanding that nuclear is now mostly a political affair, and any intelligent and honest debate on it must include politics, something our TOS excludes for reasons everyone understands.

Apologies to disturb your cereals!

Steve Williams

I totally agree so this thread will be closely monitored

Personally Bob if you’re going to do something I’d rather see something on Solar. The sun is free. Everyone in 50 years will have solar energy

I put mine in last October and haven’t had an electrical bill since. I was told here it would screw with the sound I get in my room. I’m here to say that this is just not so. Not with the new microinverters.

Reactions: jeff1225

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have had solar ever since I bought my Pass amps, and that was 4-5 years ago, and it certainly hasn't affected the sound. However, it certainly made a difference with my electric bill.

Now if I could get a private nuclear power system for nighttime power then that would be ideal. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Francisco, you're the one who brought it here, not me.
I like you too much to see it as a personal attack.
I understand the fear that religion, politics and sex have, and this not my intention.

There are various subjects, even music and films and high end audio which have religion, racism, politics, sex, ...etc., related. But we are an intelligent community, and we know how to not involve any of it. I'm 100% extremely clear on that. That is why I said to Steve and Ron they can change direction where there are no more subjects; films, TV shows, movie trailers, music videos, science and technology, computers, ...all subjects that can have any political, religious, gender, ...etc., relation. When we talk ultra high end turntables and rare tubes and exquisite music recordings...we don't talk religion and politics because they don't play a role in the high end audio industry.

Films, many do. Even the Marvel films. But we don't talk about it.
I understand the fear; Ron is solid on that...we all know, and we abide by no sweat.
Steve and everyone agree with Ron's philosophy, and I first.

There is a balance, and it's that balance we all respect.
The balance is to control in not going where there's no positive end.
It's the positive one I'm interested in...the facts, the science, the respect of living, learning, ...and NEVER involve politics and religion and violence and sex.

Avengers: Endgame is a movie, based on comic books, superheroes fighting the evil.
Stan Lee, when he wrote and drew his comic books, he was only thinking entertainment.
He wasn't making up stories based on real events.

Nuclear reactors when they first started to be built, it was to power our electrical appliances, our hi-fi stereo systems, to spin our turntables. Some weren't build to high standards, so our speakers didn't reproduce high end sound (humorous emoticon here), and we are starting to learn from past mistakes. But it will happen again.

Please Francisco, watch the Ted video first, watch the HBO show on Chernobyl, and please stay within the confinements of our main interest. I hate politics with a deep passion, most probably more than Ron.

If you have zero interest, and now I know that you don't, please just stay with what you like best.
I understand your fear, you aren't alone as you can see.
It's in the control, and if it's too hard to advance scientifically without interruptions from outside influences politics related, just don't discuss the subjects that you fear.

I love subjects of our galaxy, of our energy, of our androids, of 5G, of technology, OLED, MICROLED, 8K TVs, I love cars, gardens, trees, mountains, fresh air, clean water, good food and wine, I love people, I love life, I love music, I love my planet.

I'm just human, like you, like us all. I want peace, music, happiness, health, ...I want the best world to live in for us all. Who owns the planet Earth, who bought it, who has the ownership papers?

* Some typos corrected (too small that tablet), but very portable.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I have had solar ever since I bought my Pass amps, and that was 4-5 years ago, and it certainly hasn't affected the sound. However, it certainly made a difference with my electric bill.

Now if I could get a private nuclear power system for nighttime power then that would be ideal. :)
Bud

of course you can

It's called a battery, and now there are several choices other than Tesla.

The size of them are shrinking which is a good thing and that's what you use at night to be totally off the grid

Ive already banked over 5000 kWh since October and the hottest months still lie ahead so for me I don't care as I am producing more than what I am using. If you're not producing enough then for sure consider a battery in the garage

Reactions: the sound of Tao

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I totally agree so this thread will be closely monitored

Personally Bob if you’re going to do something I’d rather see something on Solar. The sun is free. Everyone in 50 years will have solar energy

I put mine in last October and haven’t had an electrical bill since. I was told here it would screw with the sound I get in my room. I’m here to say that this is just not so. Not with the new microinverters.

Steve, you are very smart. You know that Chernobyl HBO show is worthy.
Yes there are many inaccurate facts, but it is still a show to attract audience, to make money.

Yes we can talk solar energy; Australia has a big central solar plant...Elon Musk plays a big role.
We can also talk wind turbines; I know a thing or two about that too...one of my brothers have a dozen of them in his backyard.

I understand why you closed the thread on the Netflix show...When They See Us.
You and I and others too we love great shows, documentaries, real life events, and we can be very passionate about them. I changed my mind about Making a Murderer; for a while I thought they were innocent. Now no more, and Kathleen Zellner no matter what, no matter how screwed the people are, she's between a failing justice system and a moral dilemma. Good luck to her.
This case is close now for me.

The central park five I saw Oprah's interview, the four episodes, I went deeper in researching all the facts. It is a very very sad case, and abuse of power motivated by zeal and uncontrollable fear.
I'm done with this too, we know who did it, and he did it alone. I understand why people are now falling from grace to disgrace...next are the cops.

This thread is on nuclear, the Ted video was my first intro, inspired by deeper research from that HBO show on Chernobyl. I understand that it's not our country, not our values, not our system to do business with our own people, I understand the lies and I disapprove because lies kill.
But that's not what I'm interested in, I want to know how safe are the people @ the aim of nuclear energy (reactors) in the world today...old nuclear power reactors and new ones being build as we speak. ...The pros and cons, I want to learn more, I want to hear the WBF member's voices.
Not politics, not religions, not skin colors, not genders, not nothing else than what's good and bad for the planet and its people 100, 1,000, one million years from now...in our waters, oceans, rivers, wildlife, dogs and cats, in our atmosphere, in the air we all breathe across the six continents.

Screw all the politicians, it's science I'm interested in, for the best of the planet and the people who live on it.

If it's too much fear, no sweat, I'll put a good jazz album on the system and roll with it.

Steve Williams

They can charge us a lot more for "renewable" energy. But, hey, they know their customer base especially here in Silicon Valley.

which utility is it PGE?

Ours is SDGE which allegedly is the most expensive in the nation

Today I got their new summer rates when they can nail you due to the hot weather

one kWh in on peak time (400 to 900PM) has a summer rate of $0.57. That is simply outrageous

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
which utility is it PGE?

Ours is SDGE which allegedly is the most expensive in the nation

Today I got their new summer rates when they can nail you due to the hot weather

one kWh in on peak time (400 to 900PM) has a summer rate of $0.57. That is simply outrageous
Gas and electric. I keep thinking panels make sense here but we are nowhere near 57 cents so I think the payoff period is still very long.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Bud

of course you can

It's called a battery, and now there are several choices other than Tesla.

The size of them are shrinking which is a good thing and that's what you use at night to be totally off the grid

Ive already banked over 5000 kWh since October and the hottest months still lie ahead so for me I don't care as I am producing more than what I am using. If you're not producing enough then for sure consider a battery in the garage

Steve, my solar is mostly positive with only very hot days running the AC and the stereo at the same time going negative in the summer. The winter depends on how often it rains (cloudy) being the main factor in whether I am positive or negative energy wise. The previous winter we had a lot of rain, which was good from a drought perspective, but bad from a solar perspective. My house is only 1100 square feet, and the west facing roof is covered with the solar panels. However, the previous owner mounted the heater/AC on that part of the roof, so that reduced my available area. Anyway, if I have to pay $100 a year for electricity I can live with that. Even retired. :)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The initial cost of solar is high, the materials are toxic, and solar cells are as yet very inefficient. The batteries needed for storage when solar output is reduced (cloudy days, night) are expensive are themselves filled with toxic materials plus carry a risk of explosion and fires. There are some very promising solar cell technologies but they will take a while to become commercially viable. There are also some test farms using concentrators (mirrors, like in the old James Bond movie) to boost output but there are drawbacks like thermal management and reduced cell lifetime. You need a lot (LOT!) of area to produce sufficient solar energy to power a city. And speaking of political, a lot of the cells come from China, sooo...

What about wind power? Also many issues including storage but another alternative. Hydroelectric power is another alternative though I am not sure how many viable flow sources (rivers) remain. Sadly we have let our dam infrastructure deteriorate badly.

For the the record I am pro-nuclear energy but unfortunately most development (fission and fusion) in this country (U.S.A.) was halted due primarily to political, not engineering, concerns. Several of my friends graduated with nuclear engineering degrees as that was going to be the future for sustainable energy; I think all are working in different areas now (or retired, would be me!)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing