SD Card digital music player

Just got the new Audio Advisor catalog. They list a number of DACs from Benchmark, Bryston, Cambridge, Musical Fidelity, NAD, Parasound, and PS Audio. USB input is listed as a feature on every single one.

In the case of the Benchmark, my post #6 applies - it has a USB 'B' socket on the rear so its bound to be a device only. It therefore can't act as host to obtain the data off a USB stick. I suspect this may be true of many (if not all) of the other DACs you cite.

Almost all new DACs do have a USB input.
Most of the time it is asynchronous USB and UAC2 (24/192)
The ones using the Xmos usb receiver often support DSD (DoP, DSD over USB) too

Opus111 is right, all of them are devices, no host options.
Streaming audio players are often capable of reading a USB stick or a HD.
As they are connected to the network (Ethernet, wifi) and often DLNA compliant, they do have a build in OS.
If this is e.g. embedded Linux, adding USB support is a breeze.

I did not look closely and do not care enough to go research each one, but the ad copy certainly implies yu can stick a USB stick in and play from it on most of them. As for whether I believe the ad copy, not really, but see first clause, first sentence of this post. :) I am not saying you all are not correct, I quite imagine you are, I just happened to see the table and thought of this thread. Alas, misled by marketing, again, what a shock. ;)

use a AK100 as a portable player , or via 3.5mm headphone to rca adaptors
as a cd transport into my main system . Excellent sound quality
RBCD to 24/192khz
http://www.astellnkern.com/

That was my experience with the Invicta also. The SD card is simple (no computer hassles!), and plays WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and DSD files - with really good sound. It's a nice feature; wish more DACs supported SD cards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing