self-isolating......another way to define an audiophile.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce as you are probably reading this i ll ask you the same question as i asked atmasphere .
What is in your opinion the most capable of reproducing/ replicating a direct mike feed.
Tape , direct to disc lp or digital ?
Tape...... then hi-rez digital.... then D2D.......

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Though it was a little chilly yesterday morning teaching. With everyone off from work.... seems everyone wants to learn to ride!!

90458642_10221531963265738_1954866678445637632_n.jpg

Reactions: andromedaaudio

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I've always considered music listening as my emotional respite since I usually listen, one on one, for two to three hours a day. Now, it is a basic tool to maintain my phsycological wellness.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I've always considered music listening as my emotional respite since I usually listen, one on one, for two to three hours a day. Now, it is a basic tool to maintain my phsycological wellness.
+1

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In holland we have a saying that if you take your hog for a ride you need to take a bag with you as well .
:)
To put in all the parts that fall of during the trip :oops:

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
working 10 hours a day and then playing inside the house generally sucks.

we took a walk to grab a few items including lunch - was surprised how many folks were out. families were not obeying the Newsom shutdown

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Stuff is very shutdown in my area. People travel 30 minutes to Idaho and go to restaurants/bars.

There's no way I'm not walking my dogs. Everyone where I live is doing that.

Ironically I haven't listened to much music.

Reactions: KeithR

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
working 10 hours a day and then playing inside the house generally sucks.

we took a walk to grab a few items including lunch - was surprised how many folks were out. families were not obeying the Newsom shutdown

With everything shut down the only permissible activity is hoarding.

We, are for the most part business as usual people still calling in and making appointments and showing up. Our show room will be by appointment only starting next week and they closed the Motorsports museum for the time being.
I am in Scottsdale AZ. Everyone here is going about there normal lives as much as possible. A lot going hiking and biking and other outdoor activities.

The scene inside Wal-Mart yesterday evening was that out of a bad Sci-Fi movie. The behavior of people is highly disappointing.

I sure wish restaurants would keep there servers and have them run deliveries instead of letting them go.

I have a lot of friends in the home theater / automation / lighting / shades / security industry and they are suffering greatly.

Last edited:

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
We are still working every day but when the order comes down to shut down then so be it. Roads and highway are empty.
Provincial government has ordered almost everything thing to be closed.
Restaurants are take out only, coffee shops same. They had to remove their chairs and tables from the premises. So many people laid off, really sad.
Grocery stores are open to seniors only from 7-8am and have reduced hours of operation till 8pm. No bulk buying allowed as a restriction has been mandated by owners of stores.
Social distancing is being adhered to by most people except the young crowd. That will change soon as most affected here in BC are 30-50 year olds.
Heading to the island for a day trip and to work on cottage.
Listening to my digital set up every day for about 3-5 hours so nice.
This is so easy and am really enjoying my set up.
Thanks Emile, Vincent and MikeL

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Sounds like our fellow mates have it pretty bad in the US... In fact another mate of mine said that Michigan state is nearly in a curfew! now that's serious. And so is my mother land, Colombo. But that's mostly because our brave people are used to Dengi fever, diphtheria, filaria, malaria and dihorrea...basically all the tropical nasties..., oh and I forgot the Dec 2004 Tsunami that wiped out over 130,000 people alone in SL! Worldwide numbers from Covid19 deaths is 14,000 but it seems to be climbing, and that's obviously something of concern. However, you see our people are pretty naieve and ignorant at the same time.

So the govt issued several warnings, and advice about social distancing, self-isolation and good habits of personal hygiene...but did they listen? hell no! Instead our jolly folks went night clubbing, attending cricket matches and the socially elite were in full swing! Including a group arrived from Italy who were asked to be quarantined immediately but instead also ran off to join the Venga bus!

So, finally the Army was called in, curfew laid down flat! Two weeks in a row, and the Italian bunch caught and shot! Just kidding, they were forced strict isolation, no shooting.
So now all is well and well is all, and people are allowed a few hrs a day to run errands and buy some essentials. Its about time they listened.

Now, over here in Aus, down unda... things are going according to plan but the sudden lockdown process and especially those affected directly with their jobs, sadly there's no income. Our social security system referred to as Centrelink can't keep up with the excessive demand, hence the impedence swing dipped to less than 1 Ohm on that one, causing the govt power amplifier to shut down! So now onto monoblocks...I'm guessing.

Anyhoo, relating to some of the comments from fellow members, I simply cannot understand the behavior of some people. I've got so many stories, I can make a movie out of it! I think the worst one I whitnessed at a similar store that I work for, is where a lady bought some toilet paper, went outside to the Carpark to place the items in her car, she heads back to the store to buy other groceries...returns to the Carpark to find her car windows completely smashed, and you guessed it folks- toilet paper missing but laptop untouched, go figure!

The point I'm trying to make, we can all criticise what our govts are doing, whether it's right, wrong, acted too late, reacted too slow...whatever, I'm starting to wonder where is the humanity? Or does it even exist...

One thing I do know for sure 100%, those that react unlawfully, cause violence for no good reason, and act like hooligans, sadly and definitely do not enjoy their music!

Re. Ron, when you mentioned one of your hobbies was "plastic models" I had a bad image of something else, thinking that you were self-isolating hence using plastic models... Then it hit me, oh! Plastic airplanes... cheers Ron!

Enjoy those tunes, I sincerely believe it keeps us audiophiles sane! And someone called us audiophiles crazy... Yeah right!
Cheers, RJ

Reactions: Bobvin

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
interesting hearing all your experiences , In uk was out trying to find a wifi dongle for a family member working from home but everything shut , pretty remarkable as these guys normally open 7/7

still partially working as folks depend on me for essential matters but not looking forward to staying at home more

we do have loads of toilet paper where i live though !

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This toilet paper thing has me baffled. There was a time when there was no such thing. Remember when baby diapers were cloth and you washed them.
If you have running water in and out of your house there are ways to clean up.
Toilet paper hoarders need to stop and think there are people that dont have plumbing and can probably only afford a pack a week.
Costco finally said the will accept no returns on toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
On the subject of humanity I am more and more dissaponted every day at the street level.
On the trying to figure this out and get answers fast I am amazed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Just clocked off work, got home to catch up on some news... Now the Aussie govt is talking about stage two lockdown. So this would mean virtually every type of business, retail and other major industry. However, they will ensure essential services are kept open as it's our duty to provide essential services. So we're still forging ahead, as grocery retail, forces, ambulance service, paramedics, fire services, medical facilities and so on...
I would certainly like to add far more "essential services" than just this list. For example, our local gym and barber shop closed just yesterday. I've been trying long and hard to shape my bulging gut, or shall I term it as my extra side impact and front air bags... similar to a muffin top, it's extremely difficult to work 10-12 hr shifts, please customers, manage a store and a team of 100 people all the same time and keep in ship shape shape!

I was nearly getting there, looking like Arnie at the top section but like 9 months preggy at the mid section and anorexic at the bottom section... basically a meatball on toothpicks kind of physique. So starting from 114kg last Dec and down to 106kg as I'm typing this... with the bloody gym and hairdresser closed, oh no! I'll be looking like meatball Arnie with goldilocks... yikes!

So the govt imposed a 30min ban in the hair salon etc., but now decided to scrap the ban but are still considering stage 2 lockdown, whatever.

Ok, I'm aware that there are many great home workouts that you can adopt and still keep fit. However, as the great A Schwarzenegger and Ronnie Coleman used to say, there's nothing like holding and curling cold raw iron, correct!

So the good wife says stop whinging about frivalous stuff and get down and clock in some push ups. She reckons 5 sets each with 10 reps, that's bloody 50 push ups in total, load of bollocks!
I Can't even do 10 properly without crash landing the cargo bay and landing gear at the same time!

So I just wanted to let yall know that I managed 10 push ups today, before going to work, hooray!
This I must say has made me very delightful, and I recollect another member mentioning that during these crazy virus times, it's sometimes difficult to actually listen to music. And so that's the point I'm making, if you're not happy and content, regardless of whether your system costs over a million $$$ if you're not happy and worried about the rest of the world, concerned about your loved ones, thinking about doomsday... you actually cannot enjoy the music!

So with that said, I highly encourage fellow mates not to feel negative about all this panic virus, it's not the end of the world, and be strong don't let it control you! Just 10 push ups a day will keep the doc away, not really an Apple...
Then, build a good sweat, pump some iron, hit the nature strip with a few sprints, and hit the showers. Then power up the system, and you'll feel fantastic! It's a marvelous thing!

Today in the arvo, I will go for 20 push ups, I think I've still got it. Cheers maties,
Big woof, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This toilet paper thing has me baffled. There was a time when there was no such thing. Remember when baby diapers were cloth and you washed them.
If you have running water in and out of your house there are ways to clean up.
Toilet paper hoarders need to stop and think there are people that dont have plumbing and can probably only afford a pack a week.
Costco finally said the will accept no returns on toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
On the subject of humanity I am more and more dissaponted every day at the street level.
On the trying to figure this out and get answers fast I am amazed.

9AA02927-F919-46B5-9241-E49136B3E7DC.jpeg

Reactions: gian60 and cjfrbw

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Yes,
for now until 3 of april,but sure will be postpone to half april and more
Italian government tell could be we will solve this problem end of july
Really disaster for the very weak Italian economy and stupid government

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing