self-isolating......another way to define an audiophile.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
As an only child who grew up engaged in solo hobbies (amateur radio, Heathkits, photography, plastic models, Estes rockets) I would be very happy to just stay in the house (if it ever is finished) with Tinka and Lola. Listening room, home theater room, small gym room, tool desk in the garage, deck, small pool/hot tub, fire pit, palm trees, view . . . no reason to leave.
We have more in common than we don't lol! I was not the only child but the only boy in a house full of girls and a fairly nonparticipating dad. All of those things you listed with adding a lot of skateboarding and surfing to the mix.
And we are home bodies too.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
no doubt that Tidal and Qobuz do scratch the itch for new music to a large degree. but i will ALWAYS miss my Saturday afternoon Tower Record weekly stop on the way home from work. that was in my library building days and the process/therapy of looking, buying, opening, and listening was a joy. reading the jackets and backs of Lp's and CD's was educational. Roon is remarkable in filling that void and i do appreciate that......but it's not quite Tower. with hirez digital streaming, the musical performance does now surpass the CD's i bought from Tower for the most part.

of course Tower Records was a singular affair too, not any sort of social thing.

When I lived in LA during med school in the 70's, there were fewer places I'd rather be at midnight on a Sat night than Tower records on Sunset Blvd. It was an incredible place, full of deplorables and music freaks like me! I probably combed the bins with plenty of soon to be rock stars I didn't recognize standing right next to me. By the time Tower closed, I was in Philly, and although that Tower was not in the same league, I miss them all nonetheless. There was a vibe and a happening that Amazon and Roon cannot replace.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Tower on Newbury Street in Boston was amazing....3 floors, mainstream, jazz, classical. Each floor was it's own world. Just amazing

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Tower in downtown Bellevue was my Saturday place. i recall for a few years in the late 90's i saw Paul Allen (Microsoft co-founder) there many Saturdays. famously not casual about his love of music.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
When I lived in LA during med school in the 70's, there were fewer places I'd rather be at midnight on a Sat night than Tower records on Sunset Blvd. It was an incredible place, full of deplorables and music freaks like me! I probably combed the bins with plenty of soon to be rock stars I didn't recognize standing right next to me. By the time Tower closed, I was in Philly, and although that Tower was not in the same league, I miss them all nonetheless. There was a vibe and a happening that Amazon and Roon cannot replace.

Don't forget Aarons in West Hollywood --I once chatted to Dustin Hoffman over a bin!:p

BruceD

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
On the subject of the OP
I logged in last night looking to begin a thread titled
'what a brilliant time to be an audiophile',
thought I'd best check for duplication, and as ever, Mike got here first, and more thoroughly ?
Admittedly, i then got sidetracked by Marc's' domestic acronyms. Never knew i was a LAT. Was too busy being a DINK, i guess?
(If anyone members that 80's distinction).

But i must have finally pleased the hifi gods, cos I've just had two major 'eureka' moments in the last month, and damn, my system is singing. What's more it's come the hard way, by mastering a discipline that previously would have seen me getting a pro in; cartridge installation and fine tuning setup. My hifi guru said it was rewarding, and, by crikey he was right. Additionally the whole swap was brought on by a magnificent piece of clumsiness, so the discovery that i prefer the understudy to the lead has come via the cack handed medium of a severe temporary setback handled effectively, so is just a wee bit more satisfying as a result. Gives hope to us all, in this dark hour (ahem)

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Marty you ever go to the Rock 'N' Roll swap meet at Tower Sunset.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Ron....did you say Estes rockets....I was a closet pyro.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Ron....did you say Estes rockets....I was a closet pyro.

LOL Closet pyro ... my 24 year old daughter who lives 2000 miles away sent me a you tube video of rockets and said we needed to build and launch some rockets again.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Tower on Newbury Street in Boston was amazing....3 floors, mainstream, jazz, classical. Each floor was it's own world. Just amazing

I was spending 4 hours at least, just about every Saturday; incredible place indeed

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy and VLS

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I've run my business from home for almost 2 decades now, so social distancing is easy for me. Hard for my wife who is a commercial banker, used to interacting with business owners daily, and regularly doing the social function / fund raising / charity events. Those events constitute the bulk of my "social life". I'm quite content here, even for my bike rides I head to an isolated river road through the forest where I seldom see another cyclist and maybe a dozen cars over a 2 hour stretch. Like Mike L, its easy to just slip down into my music room and chillax. Though I will admit this whole Wuhan Virus thing has me experiencing more anxiety than normal (no thanks to Bob in Vancouver!), so I have to watch how many times I find myself in the wine cellar.

It would be a shame to catch the Wuhan, get sick, and leave all that wine for someone else to drink.

Daily though, I offer many prayers for all those deeply affected by this damn virus. And at the risk of being political, I curse China for keeping news suppressed and hiding its existence, allowing it to spread out and wreak havoc on the world. People are suffering. Most of us on this forum have some means and are blessed, many in the world struggle to make rent even with a job.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I just go for a ride.....

View attachment 62892

I used to have a motorcycle in my early 20's, no way would I do that now. When is what is supposed to be joyful turns stressful, time to give it up.

Exercise, stereo, cigars, and a shot of tequila once or twice a month.

Oh, and living on a river and being able to kayak anytime I want to, including in the middle of winter.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Bruce as you are probably reading this i ll ask you the same question as i asked atmasphere .
What is in your opinion the most capable of reproducing/ replicating a direct mike feed.
Tape , direct to disc lp or digital ?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Crikey.
€1.50 /litre here. Just for regular.
And you've got the best beer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing