SET amp owners thread

What did you prefer about the Aurora over the Lamm?
More transparent, wider bandwidth, that sort of thing. The Viva brought out more of what was on the recording. We had a set of our M-60s on hand for that comparison as well.

If possible try to locate the ViVA Aurora “T” version of the Monoblocks. This is a special version with a pair of VT-4-C (211) for rectifiers, a VT-4-C (211) driver , 845 output tube, and superior transformers and irons. This is the ones that Lloyd Walker preferred and which I own.

Last edited:
More transparent, wider bandwidth, that sort of thing. The Viva brought out more of what was on the recording. We had a set of our M-60s on hand for that comparison as well.
Thank you.

If possible try to locate the ViVA Aurora “T” version of the Monoblocks. This is a special version with a pair of VT-4-C (211) for rectifiers, a VT-4-C (211) driver , 845 output tube, and superior transformers and irons. This is the ones that Lloyd Walker preferred and which I own.

Interesting! I had not heard of that version!

Last edited:

Are you able to describe the differences in sound between the standard model with 845 rectifiers and the T version with 211 rectifiers?

Are you able to describe the differences in sound between the standard model with 845 rectifiers and the T version with 211 rectifiers?

No, I cannot. Never heard them with 845 rectifier tubes. If Bob at Profundo Audio is still around, reach out to him as he is the authority in the US when it comes to ViVA amplification.

No, I cannot. Never heard them with 845 rectifier tubes. If Bob at Profundo Audio is still around, reach out to him as he is the authority in the US when it comes to ViVA amplification.
Thank you.

Is the "new" Aurora the T model to which Carlos referred?

the one that Gian is referring to replaced his viva with CH, on Alexandria X2S2. I heard that system before and after

the one that Gian is referring to replaced his viva with CH, on Alexandria X2S2. I heard that system before and after
And what did you think about the difference ?

And what did you think about the difference ?

both sounded like the Alexandria with some colour. One beautifying, one sterile. The CH with Stenheim sounded much better than both, and other SET based systems sounded better than all. So, you really need to match the amp to the speaker and have a good speaker

Reactions: Lagonda
Not sure how a blackbody radiator at a couple thousand degrees C emits x-rays. Please explain that…
I was being a bit tongue in cheek... but:

In a perfect world, it likely would not.

Its not the temperature, its the voltage. High voltage tubes, if subjected to high voltages, produce Xrays. Most are contained within the tube and at the voltages present with only 2000V or so, the production will be small. But some will escape the tube, since the plate has to be connected to the outside to get its voltage.

Not sure how a blackbody radiator at a couple thousand degrees C emits x-rays. Please explain that…
this is so candidate the 833 tube with 3kv anode voltage. then your wife can see what you had for lunch inside you..joke;)

Its not the temperature, its the voltage. High voltage tubes, if subjected to high voltages, produce Xrays. Most are contained within the tube and at the voltages present with only 2000V or so, the production will be small. But some will escape the tube, since the plate has to be connected to the outside to get its voltage.
baby light my fire :D I´m building GM-70 monos...1KV operating 100mA

• Haha
Reactions: DasguteOhr

GM70 runs at maybe 1300V max.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob
It was the 18 Watt unit using 6C33s.

Again this is just my opinion but the Viva seemed easier to listen to, being more lifelike. One of the ways it did that was to be more pronounced in the bass. The speakers we used we still have and are not the best speaker for SETs. They are 93dB 1 Watt/1 meter and 16 Ohms. The latter part good, the former, not so much.

Ralph, have you heard the original Lamm ML2 with an easier speaker load say, 16 ohms and 105dB? I ask because I have read your posts which suggest such SET amplifiers sound best when using less than 10% of their power rating for lowest distortion.

Reactions: French Fred

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing