Share Your Thoughts and Best Rooms at THE Show 2024

steve williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had a fun day touring the rooms at THE Show as there were hardly anyone there today so it was easy to find the sweet spot in the rooms. It was also good to meet many WBF members and looking forward to more of the same tomorrow although I anticipate it will be busier on the weekend

Here are my favorite rooms in no particular order

Ken Songer (Songer Audio) continues to impress me with his field coil driver speaker as it was amongst my favorites as well last year. This year Ken introduced his new Driver in the S1X and it was again a true joy to hear. Everything that was played in an otherwise very modest front end electronics lit up my ears. But the one song that his wife played that did it for me and is a must hear to understand how great these speakers are was The Sound of Silence from The Ghost of Johnny Cash.It was spooky good

Damon Von Schweikert highlighting his Ultra 55 speakers which were truly magnificent

Evolution Acoustics and the System 3 with Westminster bridged REI amps along with the Westminster Quest preamp and the new REI outboard phono stage. I loved this room even ore so I think than the even bigger Sytem 6 shown last year.Seeing Eddy and Kevin in the place of our dearly departed Jonathan Tinn was also a fun time

Alma Music was there again this year and in one of their rooms they played a speaker which I have heard of but have never heard before and that was the Boenicke W13 which was driven by a DartZeel integrated and it was to my ears something very special. I was also taken by the wood mid range driver. I thought for the price these speakers are worthy of an audition

Colin King and Gary Leeds partnered in 2 rooms with both rooms having Wolf von Langa speakersin the bigger room with the field coil driver and a smaller Wolf von Lange bookshelf speaker that at $10K was truly remarkable to my ears along with the famed Trafomatic electronics, a LampizatOr Poseidon and the new Ars Machine turntable that Gary brings in from Germany. Both of these rooms are a must hear as well. Have them play for you The Ballad of Bill Hubbard by Roger Waters on the bigger speakers. You'll be impressed.

I took a bunch of photos but these rooms deserve a listen as you wont be disappointed

What are your first impressions to all members who attended.

I had a fun day touring the rooms at THE Show as there were hardly anyone there today so it was easy to find the sweet spot in the rooms. It was also good to meet many WBF members and looking forward to more of the same tomorrow although I anticipate it will be busier on the weekend

Ken Songer (Songer Audio) continues to impress me with his field coil driver speaker as it was amongst my favorites as well last year. This year Ken introduced his new Driver in the S1X and it was again a true joy to hear. Everything that was played in an otherwise very modest front end electronics lit up my ears. But the one song that his wife played that did it for me and is a must hear to understand how great these speakers are was The Sound of Silence from The Ghost of Johnny Cash.It was spooky good

Damon Von Schweikert highlighting his Ultra 55 speakers which were truly magnificent

Evolution Acoustics and the System 3 with Westminster bridged REI amps along with the Westminster Quest preamp and the new REI outboard phono stage. I loved this room even ore so I think than the even bigger Sytem 6 shown last year.Seeing Eddy and Kevin in the place of our dearly departed Jonathan Tinn was also a fun time

Alma Music was there again this year and in one of their rooms they played a speaker which I have heard of but have never heard before and that was the Boenicke W13 which was driven by a DartZeel integrated and it was to my ears something very special. I was also taken by the wood mid range driver. I thought for the price these speakers are worthy of an audition

Colin King and Gary Leeds partnered in 2 rooms with both rooms having Wolf von Langa speakersin the bigger room with the field coil driver and a smaller Wolf von Lange bookshelf speaker that at $10K was truly remarkable to my ears along with the famed Trafomatic electronics, a LampizatOr Poseidon and the new Ars Machine turntable that Gary brings in from Germany. Both of these rooms are a must hear as well. Have them play for you The Ballad of Bill Hubbard by Roger Waters on the bigger speakers. You'll be impressed.

I took a bunch of photos but these rooms deserve a listen as you wont be disappointed

Thanks Steve for stopping by our room, I'm so glad you enjoyed the system.

As the "speaker guys," we often get the lion's share of the credit (or blame) for how a room sounds but it's a team effort as you know. So I'm happy to share any success with the rest of the group.

Scott Walker Audio curated this system which includes the following...

SOURCES
Ideon Absolute Streamer, Time Re-Clocker and DAC Epsilon.
Sonorous ATR 10mkII tape deck

ELECTRONIS
JMF Audio PRS Preamp and HQS 7001 amplifiers

CABLES and POWERCORDS
MasterBuilt Audio Ultra Line

RACKS
Artisania Exoteryc

ROOM CORRECTION
ACS TubeTraps
Von Schweikert Audio Shockwave V-12XS Mk II

20240607_170127.jpg

Reactions: Mcsnare
Day 2....another fun day today as I enjoyed meeting up with WBF members and chatting. I expected that today being Saturday would bring the crowds but IMO the traffic seemed only slightly more than yesterday so I can't figure that out but it was easy to find the sweet spot in all the rooms

Two rooms in particular caught my attention and to those going tomorrow I would definitely have a listen as I felt these to be amongst the best Ive heard so add these to my list

Akustika Eterna Lucet- megamonster of an amp--- an 801A SET DHT Amplifier: 4.5 watts, $180,000, 3 chassis, 340 pounds! Pure Class A played iinto a speaker I didn't know but was 98 Db efficient. The sound I thought was excellent

What I didn't know was that this amp is being brought into the USA by WBF member Carlsbad who lives all of 30 minutes south of me. Jerry has a backgrounf=d in Physics and works at San Onofre but has a love of music.The amp is made in Ukraine and the genius behind this amp was in attendance as well . I enjoyed meeting them both

Another room that I was simply gobsmacked by was in one of the largest rooms at the hotel and sponsored by The Audio Group of Denmark where they showed two speakers played on very simple electronics and the enormity of the soundstage and the realism to the sound totally baffled me. They are extremely well made and one being a larger model of the one in the other half of the room. I had to keep looking around the front end gear and it was a server and a small amp. The sound was exceptional

I couldn't find a price sheet on these speakers but they have to be heard in this giant room to understand how good they are

IMG_6028.jpeg

IMG_6031.jpeg
IMG_6030.jpeg
IMG_6029.jpeg
Just wrapping up my little get together at my house where 4 WBF members came back to my house for a listen. Looking forward to hosting Mad Floyd and Al M on Tuesday before they head back to Boston

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate the kind words and enjoued talking to you today. I've been too busy getting ready for the show to post on the forum. One clarification. Stas, my partner, is from the Ukraine but he lives here now and we hand build the amps here in San Diego.

Thanks again,
Jerry

Another room that I was simply gobsmacked by was in one of the largest rooms at the hotel and sponsored by The Audio Group of Denmark where they showed two speakers played on very simple electronics and the enormity of the soundstage and the realism to the sound totally baffled me. They are extremely well made and one being a larger model of the one in the other half of the room. I had to keep looking around the front end gear and it was a server and a small amp. The sound was exceptional

I couldn't find a price sheet on these speakers but they have to be heard in this giant room to understand how good they are

If I am not mistaken, these are Borrensen X3 speakers which retail around 11000$

My wife and I also immensely enjoyed the Akustica Eternal room. Very natural and relaxing sound that really revealed the "soul" of the music for us and kept us in the room for 4 or 5 songs. I would have liked to hear how this system sounds playing rock or large scale classical.

We were also impressed by the Borresen X1s at the bargain price (in today's market) of $11k paired with the Axxess Forte integrated. Proof that a very good sound system can still be had for less than the price of a car.

There were definitely many other very fine sounding systems, but those were the two rooms that stood out to me.

My wife and I also immensely enjoyed the Akustica Eternal room. Very natural and relaxing sound that really revealed the "soul" of the music for us and kept us in the room for 4 or 5 songs. I would have liked to hear how this system sounds playing rock or large scale classical.

We were also impressed by the Borresen X1s at the bargain price (in today's market) of $11k paired with the Axxess Forte integrated. Proof that a very good sound system can still be had for less than the price of a car.

There were definitely many other very fine sounding systems, but those were the two rooms that stood out to me.
Thanks for the kind words. We really enjoyed listeners like you who enjoyed multiple songs and we took a lot of requests including rock and roll. I'll say that Rock sounds very different on this system. Notes move apart and distortion seems to disappear. I hear things in Sympathy for the Devel I've never heard before. The live version of "Whole Lotta Love" got very positive comments.

You are welcome to message me and once I get the system back togeher you are welcome to come to my home and listen to all your requests.

Jerry Stephenson
Akustika Eterna co-founder

Reactions: Designsfx

Evolution Acoustics and the System 3 with Westminster bridged REI amps along with the Westminster Quest preamp and the new REI outboard phono stage. I loved this room even ore so I think than the even bigger Sytem 6 shown last year. Seeing Eddy and Kevin in the place of our dearly departed Jonathan Tinn was also a fun time

Hello Steve. We too missed Jonathan again this year. We frequently shared great memories of previous shows. Thank you for the inclusion on your favorite room list!

I just wanted to take a moment to echo @steve williams thoughts regarding the truly incredible creation Stas shared in the Akustika Eterna room. For those of you who didn't have the opportunity to experience it, it is in every sense of the word a masterpiece.

Molto bravo, Stas Slobodyanik. Should you require a loudspeaker at any point in the future, allow me to put forward Songer Audio for your consideration. It would be a privilege to provide as transparent a window as I can into the beauty of such work.

@Carlsbad - Jerry, I'm so pleased to be in touch. Meeting you was a highlight of the weekend.

Thanks Ken @songeraudio ,
It was an extreme pleasure to meet you and your wife this weekend. Stas isn't a member here yet but I will certainly pass on your kind words.

We both absolutely loved your speakers and look forward to an opportunity to pair it with our amp. We are still getting the system unpacked, taking in all that has happened, and doing a lessons-learned from our first show. It was a whirlwind. We were fortunate to be located adjacent to your professional and well presented room.

Here's to hoping we see each other again soon.

Jerry

I found four rooms that I really liked, for one reason or another. Here in no particular order are the rooms that moved me.

Scott Walker - Estelon/Vitus/Taiko/ART - a very alive sound.

The Hear This/Gestalt room with Trafomatic Audio 300B SE integrated amplifier with Wolf Von Langa "Son" field coil hybrids. On Saturday the ARS Machanae turntable was serving up some very beautiful music. Always a pleasure to hang with Colin and his great picks in eclectic music.

PAD Hifi TAD room - I'm probably a little biased, but his room sounded much better this year than last. And that was on the smaller but newer Compact Evo 2.

The Audio Association - Ed Sudario - The Evolution Acoustics System 3 with WestminsterLab amps/pre/phono was big and bold. Great sound.

Reactions: gestalt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing