Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Who is making the GF Treasure Globe? I thought it was Shuguang, but there are no factory brand markings on the tube. The base is the same color as Shuguang.
I think so, yes. Been wondering in fact what the difference is (to the WE-6SN7-plus mentioned above), apart from the glass, support rod, too mica and getter position.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Following this as I’m curious if anyone tried/knows this, but am wondering what “new” means in this context, as Shuguang’s factory appears to have been closed several years ago, and despite earlier plans of reopening another, there have been no further news?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.
Apparently they are still in business, maybe they closed the factory that made the "winged" tubes. They are shipping the WE6SN7s, still haven't found a review.

Reactions: Khorn
Aug 23, 2021
Hello all

I have been tube rolling again.I been playing without 6SN7 and 6f8g again. The one KenRad 6f8g got noisy and I have been going through many boxes. I got more than a few 6f8g and now for the first time discovered KenRad made more than one 6f8g,one with round plates and one with ladder plates than are offset,exactly like the KenRad VT231 plate structure.Still can’t decide what sounds better,both have something special.One thing is for sure,the ladder plate one with the same plate structure does sound anything like the KenRad VT231.I don’t know if it is because of the adapter,but the VT231 got much more grunt in the low frequencies and the ladder plate 6f8g got more extended high frequencies.The round plate Kenrad is maybe the more balanced one,but it is not so easy.They are both excellent.When I further went through my boxes I found about 14 pairs of NU 6f8g and about half look exactly like the Ken Rad 6f8g round plate,they are 100% made on the same production line,the question is ,was it one the NU or KenRad line.I suspect they are Kenrad made but labeled NU.On the boxes are the date Nov 1944.Always learning something new.

It is always nice to go through old boxes,I found so many tubes I completely forgotten about.The last time I went through the boxes was maybe 25 years ago and these boxes traveled the world with me, but the last years,I never had time and bought many tubes again and sometimes paid rediculous prices.Today I found many treasures,few pairs WE300a and WE300b from 1937-1938 and a few pairs WE212 and a big box full of Mullard ECC83 ,many different ones.I still have to sort them out and test them and match them,they are all brand new.Also found half a box of GEC KT66 and KT88 but I also have to match them into pairs.The last time I had a tube amp that uses KT66 or KT 88 was in the middle of the 90th,then I had a Audio Research amp that used KT 88 and a EAR amp that used KT66.Still got about 30 big boxes to go through.I have to go through them and test and match them and the ones ,I don’t think I will ever use ,I have to make a plan.Just opend a box full of rectifying tubes.I will have a look another day,don’t feel like going through rectifying tubes now.It is time to listen to music

Keep on rolling the tubes and share your experience with us.We all learn from each other and our combined experience can save us money and grey hairs.

All the best

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Keep telling us what you find. My Treasure Globes from Rachel are nearing 200 hours in a Supratek preamp and sounding very good. I’ve also got a Sophia 274B in a Lampi dac that just made 100 hours and is starting to show its beauty (along with a pair of Sophia EL-34’s). Jury still out, especially on perspective and sense of presence, but very promising at this point.

Aug 23, 2021
Hi

yes,just found another,different KenRad 6f8g with oval plate.Sounds completely different to the other 2 KenRad’s.More on the warm side,lovely midrange.I think I must only open one old tube box a day and see what’s inside.Now I got the time,I am retired,or retired myself

I glad you like the Treasure Globe 6SN7,I also like them.They are some of the best sounding,including all the famous NOS 6SN7.I must use them again.The reason why I only use them so seldom is,they so big,I can only play them with my top cover removed.

I also had great experience with Sophia tubes,love there 274b and 300b ,211 and 845 and the blue bottle 6SN7 .The new Chinese tube are sometimes as good or better than the old stock we can get now.I believe,most of the nos we getting now are not the best ,or we have to be lucky,because the best was sold many years ago.I was very fortunate about 30 years ago ,when I bought tons of tube ,in the US on a military auction and some in Germany on a auction from the German Postal service ,for peanuts.I still bought later more tubes,but now I think,I got enough,or I have to get some new audio equipment with very strange tubes,but I don’t think so.It is always a hassle to explain to my wife,why I just blew more money on things I already got.She is right,I could put up 5 complete systems,if I had the space.She always encourage ,before I buy anything new,I must first sell something,but I don’t like selling anything.

Now,I can enjoy music and got the time for it and got the time to roll tubes and take my time.

Keep on rolling the tubes
Cheers

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I wil give my opinions on various 6f8g tubes that i have, that is, National Union, RCA, Tungsol, Sylvania, Raytheon, Zenith in due course.

Since I had been to Korea to attend my son's wedding, I need more time .

So far, my impression is that they tend to give fuller sound than regular 6sn7 tubes.

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Black Tungsol Tubes are amazing JAN CTL 6sn7gt/(12sn7gt Heating 13 volt)
They are highly musical and they add enormous detail to the music.
72836bf17ae62eb23718c8168ba5fd27--the-famous-audio.jpg

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
What are the date codes on those? While the 6sn7 and 12sn7 are the same tube, I read that they need different voltage circuits, 6v vs. 12v. That true?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
What are the date codes on those? While the 6sn7 and 12sn7 are the same tube, I read that they need different voltage circuits, 6v vs. 12v. That true?
same tube specifications, different heating voltage.
not so loud we don't want any bidding war;)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I hear you, but we need to clarify: What are the date codes and does the different heating voltage affect whether or not one can use the 12 version for the 6? For example, I have a Supratek Chardonnay preamp.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I switched from Melz 1578 to RCA vt231 in Line Magnetic 508 for fresh air.

Wow, there is more air floating around Altec A7.

The strength of Melz 1578 is deep and impactful bass, wide and deep soundstage with pure but slightly less treble.

While my Chord Dave Dac sent to AS center for repair, I had been using EMMLab Dac2 which give more organic and impactful sound than Dave.

Dave and Mscaler combo give more details and pinpoint imaging in 3d space.

With Dave and Mscaler and Lansche 4.1, I prefer Melz 1578 to other 6sn7 tubes made in USA.

But with EmmLab Dac2 and Altec A7, I prefer RCA vt231 to Melz 1578.

I may switch back to TS bgrp 2 weeks later.

Although I have 3 pairs of RCA vt231, I have only one pair of TS bgrp which is damm expensive for small input tube.

It is kind of mix and match.

There are no best tubes for everyone.

Vintage audio tubes are like vintage wines.

As some people collect lot of varius wines, I collect vintage tubes.

You may choose a tube depending on system and your mood.

Last edited:

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I hear you, but we need to clarify: What are the date codes and does the different heating voltage affect whether or not one can use the 12 version for the 6? For example, I have a Supratek Chardonnay preamp.
The 12SN7 must be used in a circuit that provides 12v to the heater. I have a Lampizator Baltic DAC and ordered it with a switch that allows me to use either a 6SN7 or a 12SN7. I have a stash of 12SN7 TSRP tubes as well as some 14N7s and some Raytheon 2C50 tubes that all need 12v. Very few regular production amps/preamps support using a 12SN7 as the stock option.

The main benefit of using 12SN7 tubes is that they are much cheaper than the exact same model 6SN7. For example $100/pr vs $500/pr for Tungsol with black glass and round plates(TSRP). They will sound the same as the 6v version.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The 12SN7 must be used in a circuit that provides 12v to the heater. I have a Lampizator Baltic DAC and ordered it with a switch that allows me to use either a 6SN7 or a 12SN7. I have a stash of 12SN7 TSRP tubes as well as some 14N7s and some Raytheon 2C50 tubes that all need 12v. Very few regular production amps/preamps support using a 12SN7 as the stock option.

The main benefit of using 12SN7 tubes is that they are much cheaper than the exact same model 6SN7. For example $100/pr vs $500/pr for Tungsol with black glass and round plates(TSRP).

Most electronics techs could modify an amp/preamp to use either. You do need a 12V heater trafo, so if you have 6V trafo you need a different one, but they aren't too expensive. Then install a switch to change from parallel or series connection of two tube's heaters.

Just be careful not to use 6SN7 when the switch is in the 12SN7 position!

Reactions: thomask

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last edited:

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
My preamp uses 12AT7/ECC81and 6SN7/12SN7 and power amp 12ax7/ECC83 and 12au7/ECC82 amp power tubes a pair of TV sweep tubes 17JN6 per channel.
Sounds like you have Linear Tube Audio equipment. Great stuff...

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Few days ago I replaced RCA vt231 with Sylvania 6sn7 wgt with brown bass (not metal bass) in Line Magnetic 508.

Sylvania 6sn7 wgt give vivid sound with sharper focus while RCA vt231 give more relaxed sound.

It is like wine tasting of vintage wines.

Most of vintage tubes sounds good but with different flavor.

It is up to you to choose specific flavor depending on your taste and system.

As I have more than 60 different kind of 6sn7 and variants, I take turns on tubes depending on my mood.;)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
If you ever get a chance, try the Sylvania 6F8G early-mid 1940s. Needs an adapter though.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
By the way, dealers had jacked up the price of vintage 6sn7 tubes too much.

I paid 60$ for pair of Sylvania 6sn7 wgt with brown bass 3 years ago.

But now they ask around 200$ for pair of them.

Since I have around 80 pairs of 6sn7 tubes and variants, I will not buy more of 6sn7 tubes. :cool:

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Few days ago I replaced RCA vt231 with Sylvania 6sn7 wgt with brown bass (not metal bass) in Line Magnetic 508.

Sylvania 6sn7 wgt give vivid sound with sharper focus while RCA vt231 give more relaxed sound.

It is like wine tasting of vintage wines.

Most of vintage tubes sounds good but with different flavor.

It is up to you to choose specific flavor depending on your taste and system.

As I have more than 60 different kind of 6sn7 and variants, I take turns on tubes depending on my mood.;)
Yes the brown base Sylvania WGT are very linear sounding, lacking some of the “bloom” that other 6SN7s have. The RCA vt231 are warm sounding, almost the polar opposite of the WGTs. Both good tubes with a different flavour as you say. Also agree that 6SN7 prices are getting a little crazy, glad I got most of my vintage 6SN7s 20 years or more ago. Should be able to supplement my retirement income with some tube sales at least. Better than my wife tossing them in the garbage when I go………….

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing