Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Yes the brown base Sylvania WGT are very linear sounding, lacking some of the “bloom” that other 6SN7s have. The RCA vt231 are warm sounding, almost the polar opposite of the WGTs. Both good tubes with a different flavour as you say. Also agree that 6SN7 prices are getting a little crazy, glad I got most of my vintage 6SN7s 20 years or more ago. Should be able to supplement my retirement income with some tube sales at least. Better than my wife tossing them in the garbage when I go………….
I agree with your opinion on RCA vt231 and Sylvania WGT.

It is fun to taste different plavor out of good inventories of 6sn7.

I has spent around 5K$ on getting 80 pairs of 6sn7 and variants during last 5 years.

Since dealers had jacked up the prices of tubes, it would cost 10 K$ or more if I get them right now.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Have you tried any single type 6sn7 tubes. most all use tge typical ones of witch are dual not single driver tubes. Way back when these tubes were made only single and when dual was made all leaped to dual tubes. Meaning one heater
and dual plates but one grid and anode
I had a chance to try many SE tubes like this to compare

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Have you tried any single type 6sn7 tubes. most all use tge typical ones of witch are dual not single driver tubes. Way back when these tubes were made only single and when dual was made all leaped to dual tubes. Meaning one heater
and dual plates but one grid and anode
I had a chance to try many SE tubes like this to compare
Not tried single type yet.

I already have more than enough collection of 6sn7 and variants.

Thus I may not try single type.

But I am curious how they compare.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
They are many more top sounding ones
a larger variation in sound too.
a single is like an set tube
there is not Cross talk
and even better no bleed in sign wave crest to trough
it puzzles me how they are the holy grail and rarely used today.
Now I’m not saying dual are not as good either
but hearing both they have there place
Ebay has adaotors in many configs to use two singles in a typical dual socket

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Yes the brown base Sylvania WGT are very linear sounding, lacking some of the “bloom” that other 6SN7s have. The RCA vt231 are warm sounding, almost the polar opposite of the WGTs. Both good tubes with a different flavour as you say. Also agree that 6SN7 prices are getting a little crazy, glad I got most of my vintage 6SN7s 20 years or more ago. Should be able to supplement my retirement income with some tube sales at least. Better than my wife tossing them in the garbage when I go………….
Maybe we should all stop pretending to our loved ones we only spent spare change on tubes, so that when we do indeed go, they’ll at least turn them back into circulation, so to speak, selling them off. The idea of someone throwing mine out makes me shudder…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Reactions: Malcng and Mendel

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Maybe we should all stop pretending to our loved ones we only spent spare change on tubes, so that when we do indeed go, they’ll at least turn them back into circulation, so to speak, selling them off. The idea of someone throwing mine out makes me shudder…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.
Just tell them they can get cash for them , probably no worries then lol

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
For the last three months, I had been using Amperex 6n7 in Line Magnetic 508 SET.

After playing with Puron plug in filters, i switched to RCA vt231 whichs give nice details and sharp focus.

Yesterday i had gone back to Melz 1578.

Although 1578 does not give nice details and sharp focus.as RCA vt231, it makes sound organic and comforting with less treble overall.

The conclusion is that there is no best 6sn7 tube.

I keep changing tubes depending on my mood and change of components.

I have around 70 different kinds of 6sn7 and vanriants.

Thomas

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
For the last three months, I had been using Amperex 6n7 in Line Magnetic 508 SET.

After playing with Puron plug in filters, i switched to RCA vt231 whichs give nice details and sharp focus.

Although 1578 does not give nice details and sharp focus.as RCA vt231, it makes sound organic and comforting with less treble overall.

Thomas
Did the Purons change the sound or timbre of your system? Is that why you needed to tube roll?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
In a Supratek preamp, I found the 1578’s dry and a bit laid back, no warmth, and passed them along. As mentioned on Agon, I went through a lot of older tubes before ending up with 6SN7 Treasure Globes from Grant Fidelity. I preferred the early 1940’s 6F8G version over any 6SN7 I tried, Sylvania being my favorite. However, I wasn’t able to try older well-regarded Tung-Sols in either version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willgolf

hicr49

Jan 10, 2018
Wondering if anyone here has tried the new Linlai CV181-H? Supposedly it's a "richer" flavor tube from the one person who mentioned...

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Wondering if anyone here has tried the new Linlai CV181-H? Supposedly it's a "richer" flavor tube from the one person who mentioned...
Not me but long discussion on below thread.

I have more than 70 kinds (total 300 tubes) of vintage 6sn7 and variants.

Thus no motivation to try new production tube.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
The CV181-H is not listed on the Linlai factory website. It's being sold by Chinese vendors on AliExpress. So like other Linlai related items, it's a mystery.

Reactions: hicr49

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022

Thomas

Thomas
Just wondering have you tried the blue bottle sohpia electric ones? If so where do you think they fit in the whole scheme of these? I bought s set they are a huge upgrade to what was there but are the decent or is there another huge upgrade available?

Regards Tom

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Just wondering have you tried the blue bottle sohpia electric ones? If so where do you think they fit in the whole scheme of these? I bought s set they are a huge upgrade to what was there but are the decent or is there another huge upgrade available?

Regards Tom
I have more than 70 kinds (total 300 tubes) of vintage 6sn7 and variants.

Thus no motivation to try new production tube

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
I received Tungsol Black grass round plate ans Raytheon Vt231 tubes today.

I had done shootout between TS BGRP, RCA vt231, KR vt231, Syl vt231, Raytheon vt 231 and Bad boy

I played

Eva Cassidy's 'Autumn Leaves"

"Post card blues " by Cowboy Junkies

For classical orchestra, "Trittico" directed by Fennel.

"Still harry after all these years" will be for fusion jazz

1. TS BGRP gave most transparent almost see through sound. But it's tonal balance is slightly skewed to treble, so it could sound hot in bright system.

It sound fast but the bass falls way short of the standard set by KR vt231 even behind Rca or Raytheon.

Some people are of the opinion that this one is holy grail of 6sn7 tubes doing everything well .

But it's bass is disappointing.

2. RCA vt231 is kind of all around player. Compared with TS bgrp, its sound is slightly warmer with lush tone but with enough sparkle and air.

It is also very transparent just short of TS.

Its bass is also better than TS.

I paid only 1/5 price of TS on RCA vt231.

But RCA is as almost as good as TS.

Thus TS bgrp is over priced due to hype and RCA is a good deal.

if you can find Nos RCA vt 231 under 150$, grab it.

I had bought 3 pairs of RCA vt 231 with average price of 130$.

3. Kenrad vt231 has best bass among 6sn7 tubes.

With KR in it, I got the impression that I do not need subwoofer to get deep bass.

It also sound sweet. Thus its tonal balance is kind of neutral.

It is pretty transparent just short of TS.

4. Raytheon vt 231.

I could grab one RT vt231 at 80$.

But it was steal for the performance.

Its sound is halfway between RCA and KR.

it give better bass than TS and pretty good speed with transparency close to TS.

I wish to emphasize again the TS bgrp is overpriced due to hype.

I ordered one more RT vt231 at 70$ today.

5. Sylvania vt 231

Its sound is very similar to TS.

It has spooky details and transparency very close to TS.

But it's bass is too tight but not with enough force.

I also have three pairs of Syl vt 231 at average price of 110$ for pair.

This one work better in Freya pre in front of headphone amplifiers rather than 2 channel system.

6. Bad boy ( Sylvania GT 3 holes made in 1952 or 1953)

This one has good tonal balance (slightly bass heavy) which will work well with bright system.

But it falls short of above vt231 tubes in tranparency with limited treble extension.

Its bass is full but not at the same level as KR but close to RCA or RT.

To conclude, this one is not at the same level as five vt231 tubes in detail and transparency.

It is overpriced due to hype.

But if your system is on the bright side, bad boy may work.

I think it is foolish to pay more than 150$ on it.

Perhaps it's stated later. but for how long did you burn-in each tube pair? Looks to me as it it's about 'not-at-all'.

Rafael_Salvador

Jan 22, 2023
Friends, as a newbie I need to ask an obvious question! Sorry.

I recently bought a pre-amp and some tubes to test.

I started with a pair of PSVANE UK-6SN7. I found the sound extremely low.

To give you an idea, the pre-amp is connected to a Cambridge ARX100 amp with 100W per channel pushing a pair of Monitor Audio 300 towers (150W). In this configuration I needed to use more than 90% of the Cambridge's power to obtain a sound at a volume that is, let's say, acceptable for night listening.

Obviously the blame for the bad quality of the Chinese pre-amps had already been decreed! I was already resigned that I had thrown money away. I had already asked to speak with the engineer at the store I bought to find out which parts need to be replaced to increase the output power of the pre-amp...

Behold, on Saturday I decided to put a pair of Linlai E-6SN7 to roll. Without the slightest faith that one last category pre-amp would be able to push tubes even bigger than the ones I had tried...

My friends... It just exploded a loud, clean, smooth, deep sound that I am here enjoying as I write to you. I'm using less than 50% of the Cambridge's power and less than 50% of the pre-amp's power (which I don't realize has ruined the sound quality of the system, quite the contrary without any noise) and I'm getting an amazing sonic response!

Newbie Question: Of course, but I have to ask LOL... Is there a problem with the pair of PSVANE I tested?

They don't overheat, but they play with some errors that I didn't notice in Linlai's pair. I figured it was because of the burning process.

But overall the sound is very good. Only the volume is very, very low.

Another thing I noticed was that the Linlai took a lot of work to connect to the preamp. Really tight. The PSVANE, on the other hand, didn't need as much work to connect to the preamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing