Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Looking in the web I find Little informations about the very rare Swedish 33S30 from '40's, equivalente of American 6SN7 but almost unfindable also here in Europe.
Someone of the forumers had some experience with them?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
National Union Black Glass is decent but not on par with the top rated tubes. I have a pair and like what it does, but it's pretty colored and accentuates the mid range - this might be great in systems that need it. It also lacks transparency.

I suggested the Brimar since you have a lot of 6SN7s and so many datapoints compared to others. Also, based on your music choices, which tend to involve vocals, the Brimar might be a keeper.

For me, transparency is key. If a tube takes that away, I tend to only use it for a flavor change every now and then. I have tubes in all my other components so it's easy to regain the areas that the TSBGRPs fall short.

I still looked into getting the Melz but I couldn't confirm the accuracy of some of the descriptions on eBay. I'd prefer to be patient to get the real deal. There were too many tubes having the same description but at extremely varying pricepoints.
if you like spoky vocal, you shall grab this speaker.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lansche-4-1.30857/

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Trying a set of 1943 smoked glass RCA 6SN7GT in my amp. Definitely more propulsive than metal base Sylvanias and perhaps even better bass than Ken-Rads but definitely not as sweet in the upper registers. Not strident, but not my taste. Have a set of RCA smoked glass VT-231's to compare...
1940's RCA grey glass VT-231 and GT are the same tube. VT-231 was the military designation. You might hear some difference due to tighter tolerances in testing.
Both tubes were manufactured at the same time, same place.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
The RCA smoked glass VT-231's are good...real good. I have a new reference in my application.
I like this tube very much. Good dynamics and soundstage, sweet midrange.
It has warmth which I needed in my old system, but now I look for neutral tubes.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
The RCA smoked glass VT-231's are good...real good. I have a new reference in my application.
I also like lush and warm sound out of RCA vt231.

Even if I like 1578 right now, I plan to take turns between several vt231 in the future.

It is like having different pre amplifier.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Yesterday I had been back an forth between Melz 1578 made in 80 and Melz 6n8s made in 53.

While 1578 give slightly more dynamics and wider soundstage, 6n8s made in 53 give slightly more air and sparkle thus more suitable for lady vocal.

Pair of 1578 cost me 250$ while pair of 6n8s metal base made in 53 cost me 69$.

Thus 6n8s made in 53 give an excellent value.

Reactions: asindc

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
1940's RCA grey glass VT-231 and GT are the same tube. VT-231 was the military designation. You might hear some difference due to tighter tolerances in testing.
Both tubes were manufactured at the same time, same place.

Understood. Variation and/or tighter tolerances could account for the differences I'm hearing in the RCA variants. Or just random difference...

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
http://www.monarchy-audio.com/DIP_Combo_Main_frame.htm

Monarch reclocker that I paid 200$ for used one three years ago changed the balance of my system.

With it back between music server and Hugo Mscaler, overall system sounds with more air and sparkle.

Now I favor 1578 over 6n8s made in 53 with better dynamics.

Another thing is that I start hearing some high frequency noise out of 6n8s.

Thus I may need to re solder the pins of it.

Russian tubes may not be for one who is not willing to do soldering himself.

So far 1578 tube that I had bought from Russian dealer sounds find without noise.

But it may develop some noise later on according to opinion from people who have lot of experience with Russian tubes.

They claim to have cured the problem with re soldering pins.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Another happy new user of 1578

mid40sguy
124 posts
06-20-2020 7:10pm
My pair of 1980 Melz 1578 from Olga arrived yesterday. After playing 8-10 hours background music in our living room system I sat down to listen.
WOW!
I'm ordering another set of Metz 1578 now. I also ordered a pair of 1954 Metz 6N8S.
What I noticed…. depth, focus and groove. I'm not a huge Kraftwork fan but listening to Tour De France (2009) remaster (M) Tidal I was unable to surf the internet the music kept drawing me in!
Thanks for the heads up Thomas

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I ordered Kenrad vt 231 tube from Ebay dealer " vascotube " or "tube tech" on June 5th Thursday.

Most Ebay dealer ship the item on next day or following day.

But this guy did not show any shipping information by Saturday.

Thus i sent request to give tracking information.

But no response from him.

After going through his measurement " TUBE1) 90/112TUBE2) 100/120 ", I got the impression that this tube is not matched well.

Thus on Sunday I sent him to cancel this order if it had not been shipped.

But no response from him either.

On Monday, I gave him final ultimatum, if he does not respond to his reply, then I will leave negative feedback on him.

But I got no response by 6PM eastern time, thus I left negative feedback on him at his Ebay site.

Then he contacted me and asked me to start return process instead of his cancelling unshipped order.

I started return process but he refused to agree to return proceedure unless I change the feedback on him.

I told him that you had not responded to my three inquires for more than 48 hours.

Thus i can not change my feedback out of my conscience.

He then found out that I am an Asian and gave me racial slur against Asian.

I had tried to resolve this case peacefully.

I told him that if he give me sincere apology about racial slur and cancel the order from his unshipped item, then I will close the case.

But no response for more than 10 days.

I had bought lot of things including Nos tubes in Ebay, but had not had any problem with anyone except this guy.

Most other dealers gave response to my inquiry within 12 hours.

But this guy did not respond to my three inquiries for more than 48 hours.

And then he made a racial slur against me.

I am going to file racial discrimination suit against him.

Stay away from Ebay dealer " vascotube "

Thomas

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
This is the mail that I sent him last Friday but no response.

He does not seem to realize what he had done wrong.

Re: Racial discrimination suit

Hi

Out of grace, I am going to give you the last chance.

If you express sincere apology about racial slur and cancel the order of Kenrac vt231 on your side by 6PM, Friday 19th,

then I will settle this case as solved.

If not, I will post your racial slur in three audio forums where I am well known member.

Also I will ask my attorney to file racial discrimination suit against you next week.

The fact that I gave you chance for leniency and you did not accept it will go agains you at the court proceeding.

Be wise young man.

Reactions: Robertd

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
After receivtng two more pairs of 6n8s metal base tube made in 1952 today, now I have 5 pairs of 6n8s metal base tubes in addition to 3 pairs of 1578 tubes made in 1980 and 83.

6n8s metal base sounds more female like with nuanced details while 1578 sounds more robust with deeper bass.

I will take turns at tubes depending on my mood.

Robertd

May 13, 2015
Thanks for the shootout and the great report Thomas. I happen to be looking for 6SN7s or combos, and this is a great resource. of the tubes you e heard so far, what strikes the best balance between transparency and minimal /no harshness?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thanks for the shootout and the great report Thomas. I happen to be looking for 6SN7s or combos, and this is a great resource. of the tubes you e heard so far, what strikes the best balance between transparency and minimal /no harshness?
If you like deep bass than I recommend you to try 1578 Melz.

But if you care for transparency and clean details, then you can try Sylvania vt231.

You may get a pair from Ebay under 150$.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
If you like deep bass than I recommend you to try 1578 Melz.

But if you care for transparency and clean details, then you can try Sylvania vt231.

You may get a pair from Ebay under 150$.
Thomas,
I finally found a pair of affordable Sylvania VT-231's that test well on Ebay. $180 from my trusted dealer.
I'll use them with my 1578s, trying to get more transparency from my system.

Reactions: Robertd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing