Show us your cable management system

T Boost

VIP/Donor
Jul 21, 2018
Canada
Hey gents, I’m Trev , I own Massif Audio Design just outside of Toronto. I was google alerted to this post. Thanks to Agent 86 for adding Massif to the mix.
We primarily make racks and exotic tone wood record weights but we’ve also been making cable risers for about 7 years. Pretty much everyone makes them now, and for those who are really astute will know that Audience Cables totally ripped off our design about 2 yrs ago. High praise from a good cable company.

Stereophile near did an article about our risers. The reviewer who had them tested and measured them with Art Dudley (RIP) and messaged me to say “wow, they really do work, and they actually make a measurable improvement” (not quoting him exactly). They were to be part of a larger review but near the final days before it went to print the article was scrapped. I was at a small party which was unveiling EgglestonWorks newest speaker at the time and the reviewer in question told me the bad news about the article and said Stereophiles main man , above Art, said it was too controversial and just begging for angry letters to the editor and slamming Stereophiles credibility. Regardless, our cable risers sales remained strong. We don’t promise any audible performance improvement with them, although we have had a dozen customers write to say that. Possibly I’ll add those emails to the site one day when things are slow.

This is no lie and I swear on my sons eyes that yesterday I met a customer and sold him a set of cocobolo risers. Maybe 4 hrs later he texted me to say he has a problem.
the problem was that he had 3 turntables and now needed 3 Massif racks. Also 18 more cable risers. (That’s a lot of risers)

anyways, here’s mine at home. White ebony with black streaks. Even my wife likes them.

our real peach are our record weights. Search them up.

peace

Attachments

• 53086F79-4DAD-4BA4-99FB-F62E20DFA0E3.jpeg
    53086F79-4DAD-4BA4-99FB-F62E20DFA0E3.jpeg
    819.2 KB · Views: 75
  • B6D01B99-DCA6-42B3-AA1D-A5726D8B726C.jpeg
    B6D01B99-DCA6-42B3-AA1D-A5726D8B726C.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 64A9BBEC-DD99-49A0-BA95-EE47F65CF46C.jpeg
    64A9BBEC-DD99-49A0-BA95-EE47F65CF46C.jpeg
    584.9 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Ventoux

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Most of the sorbothane products can be ordered with a urethane coating. This eliminates the sticky goo on wood problem.

Josaa

Jun 4, 2022
I have four solutions and a tip to cable dressing:

1. Give up. My big system is a modified Linn Aktive system with 2 XOs and 10 amps. I also use 2 Nordost qkore 6s….it is hopeless, I give up every time…

2. Cover it up. I use black blanket and fabric

3. Simplify system. plan to move to Gryhon/YG passive

4. Wait until retirement.To get it right like you above takes time.

The tip:

Nordost Sort Lift (ideal for flat cables).

Attachments

• 6676009F-C5C1-4B17-93D8-894C98BCB877.jpeg
    6676009F-C5C1-4B17-93D8-894C98BCB877.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 86
  • CE90E524-984B-49AE-B584-22FE163A2E92.jpeg
    CE90E524-984B-49AE-B584-22FE163A2E92.jpeg
    746.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 062639DF-23EA-4ECA-8AFD-4B3A4D797C3D.jpeg
    062639DF-23EA-4ECA-8AFD-4B3A4D797C3D.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010

1. Give up. My big system is a modified Linn Aktive system with 2 XOs and 10 amps. I also use 2 Nordost qkore 6s….it is hopeless, I give up every time…

The tip:

Is there any other good solution for the flat speaker cable besides nordost Sort Lift? Flat speaker wire is vulnerable to vibration.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
My cable managment system?
ahem

Close to chaos.
I think I will follow Mr. Lavigne’s most interesting approach.
Otoh have some of us left the path of mental sanity far enough to have compared different materials for supporting cables?
Fog lifters are supposed to improve upon simple wood blocks, which am using.
Please let us know.

Attachments

• 0DC992AB-3E70-467E-90B0-29F8BEB6773A.jpeg
    0DC992AB-3E70-467E-90B0-29F8BEB6773A.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: RdW and loki1957

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Is there any other good solution for the flat speaker cable besides nordost Sort Lift? Flat speaker wire is vulnerable to vibration.
FYI - Verastarr Grand Illusion flat ribbon speaker cables on (first) Shunyata Dark Field Elevators and (currently) on Audioquest Fog Lifters:

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Scott Naylor

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think i get immediately kicked of the thread if i post a picture of my cable management system lol.

I could say its such a cheap and straightforward system it doesnt need any management

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Doesn't Sorbothane have a limited lifespan - 2-3 years?

Hey, Tim and good evening to you. I have had Sorbothane risers made (custom) for me about 15 years ago or so and no. There is no lifespan that has been detected yet. I guess this would depend on the weight put on them but mine haven't changed since the day I got them. While I will concede that the quality of Sorbothane may vary (no experience here on that one), mine have not changed at all.

With that said. They can and do have the ability to wreck or wreak havoc on surfaces. Mine were lined on the bottom with felt and STILL have left marks on surfaces over time. FWIW.

Tom

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hey, Tim and good evening to you. I have had Sorbothane risers made (custom) for me about 15 years ago or so and no. There is no lifespan that has been detected yet. I guess this would depend on the weight put on them but mine haven't changed since the day I got them. While I will concede that the quality of Sorbothane may vary (no experience here on that one), mine have not changed at all.

With that said. They can and do have the ability to wreck or wreak havoc on surfaces. Mine were lined on the bottom with felt and STILL have left marks on surfaces over time. FWIW.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm going by what I learned from Kevin Tellekamp of SRA, the Sorbothane manufacturer, and my own experience when saying Sorbothane has a limited lifespan. If you are happy with what you have then good for you!

Check this post:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hi Tom,

I'm going by what I learned from Kevin Tellekamp of SRA, the Sorbothane manufacturer, and my own experience when saying Sorbothane has a limited lifespan. If you are happy with what you have then good for you!

Check this post:

What changes?

Tom

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What changes?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm guessing that you are asking what changes Sorbothane undergoes by the end of its lifespan.

I am neither a chemist nor an expert on Sorbothane so I cannot give you an answer in those terms. The manufacturer can give you an answer about their product datasheet.

SRA, who offers a lifetime guarantee for their products, told me they do not use it because it wears out. The owner's credentials are impeccable and I take him at his word. From my own experience, I had a pair of amp-stands that used Sorbothane 'bumpers' - roughly 3' x 3' x 0.5' -- to support the plinth on which that an amp sits. I replaced those after ~5 years with the same and the difference was significant, returning the stand's effectiveness. I can't say when the bumpers wore out, but I know that gradually declining effect over time can be difficult to detect.

I have used cable risers, both commercial and homemade, to separate wires. For example to allow a speaker cable to travel above a power cord. I cannot claim hearing any sonic impact from using them.

Can you say what your Sorbothane risers do, aside from holding a wire off the floor?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Mine were not for a riser. Mine were for amps, CDP's or other associated gear within the system(s) I had at the time. They have not been in use in recent years because of the rise in height preventing me from using them in the system with the rack I have. Not for any other reason.

Well, that and I have no use for them on any wood product, as they discolor/leave an imprint ring....in other words, they leak out oils over time.

They were, however, effective at isolating vibrations. If I had the space? I would utilize them again, as they seem to be no different than the day I bought them......without the oils that may damage surfaces. That's the only difference I notice, TBT.

Tom

Reactions: tima

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018

The tip:

Hello

Do you have a big difference in the sound with or without the Qkore6 ?

Thanks

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
It just removes noise. Small but significant improvement. Turned me into a Nordost fanboy. i also have Entreq and CAD and the Qkore is more effective. Well worth it in a high resolution system.
Thank you very much.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have a idiot question : how do you connect your amplifier?
I find this information :

Do NOT connect banana/spade terminations to speaker outputs.
This could result in a short circuit to your amplifier. Only connect
banana/spade ends of your QKORE Wire to your QBASE or QKORE.

My first idea is to connect QKORE Wire between spade amplifier output to the banana Qkore6.
It seems it is a bad idea.

Thanks

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
You would connect the qkore to either a dedicated ground post or one of the chassis screws.

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing