Shun Mook MC Reference Cartridge

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So you moved things in my room without me knowing while I was in the meeting. I didnot hear that. No witness. I only heard what I heard on the second day and you said it.

Kind regards,
Tang

No you were there on the first. Actually the first and second Mook day I mentioned was in reality the second and the third day of my visit. You heard it and said something to the tune of all tweaks change the sound but then they keep that constant. You mentioned you could hear it go wider and clearer and more like concert but said that is what tripoint or cables would have done as well. But then you tonearm guy came and we took them off

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today was "the" day and the Shun Mook MC Reference arrived.

The

- Yamamoto HS-1AS Ebony wood headshell with soldered thick 6N copper headshell wire

and the

- Yamamoto HS-1A Ebony wood headshell with
- Ortofon LW 1000S pure silver headshell wire

were prepared, Yamamoto Titan headshell screws as well.

At first I installed the Shun Mook in the HS-1AS, as I mostly like copper wires.

The SME 3012 R (connected with the old SME tonearm cable , one side RCA, one side XLR to fit the Boulder 2008) is easy to set up, so I had the first music after just some minutes.

The Shun Mook response to VTA, VTF, and so on is direct an clear, so good to tune to a matching point to start listening (2+G and the back of the tonearm a little higher)
Recommeded load is 100ohm (8ohm DC), but I preferred 200ohm with the Boulder 2008.

The firs impression is as expected, very warm, very harmonic, very soft.
Listening to "Girl of Ipanema" is "erotic" , as it can be.

But listening to some power jazz with horns and trumpets the shun mook is in my set up a little bit too soft.

And I have to decide now, if I want to fintetune the Shun Mook, that it sound more according to my "standard"

The exchange of the headshells to Yamamoto HS-1A and Ortofon pure silver leads is done quickly, The result fits my taste much more. Metal Instruments do play now more natural.

This is now a tonal balance, which reminds me on a Koetsu Rosewood Signature , before it was even sweeter.

As the Yamamoto HS-1A is from ebony wood as well, I assumed, that this headshell is the best pairing partner.

remembering the Koetsu carts, I might try some other headshells as well.

The Shun Mook sonic finetuning is very sensible, even the torque of the screws is important.

So this cart will give me some finetuning fun during the German winter time :)

But the state of the Moment is is already good and and very much involving.

IMG_8706.jpg IMG_8705.jpg IMG_8701.JPG IMG_8703.jpg IMG_8704.jpg IMG_8696.jpg IMG_8697.jpg IMG_8698.jpg IMG_8700.jpg IMG_8695.jpg

Reactions: audioquattr

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I assume you will be trying with the FR? Bill ying responds to queries and set up tricks if you ask him

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Today was "the" day and the Shun Mook MC Reference arrived.

The

- Yamamoto HS-1AS Ebony wood headshell with soldered thick 6N copper headshell wire

and the

- Yamamoto HS-1A Ebony wood headshell with
- Ortofon LW 1000S pure silver headshell wire

were prepared, Yamamoto Titan headshell screws as well.

At first I installed the Shun Mook in the HS-1AS, as I mostly like copper wires.

The SME 3012 R (connected with the old SME tonearm cable , one side RCA, one side XLR to fit the Boulder 2008) is easy to set up, so I had the first music after just some minutes.

The Shun Mook response to VTA, VTF, and so on is direct an clear, so good to tune to a matching point to start listening (2+G and the back of the tonearm a little higher)
Recommeded load is 100ohm (8ohm DC), but I preferred 200ohm with the Boulder 2008.

The firs impression is as expected, very warm, very harmonic, very soft.
Listening to "Girl of Ipanema" is "erotic" , as it can be.

But listening to some power jazz with horns and trumpets the shun mook is in my set up a little bit too soft.

And I have to decide now, if I want to fintetune the Shun Mook, that it sound more according to my "standard"

The exchange of the headshells to Yamamoto HS-1A and Ortofon pure silver leads is done quickly, The result fits my taste much more. Metal Instruments do play now more natural.

This is now a tonal balance, which reminds me on a Koetsu Rosewood Signature , before it was even sweeter.

As the Yamamoto HS-1A is from ebony wood as well, I assumed, that this headshell is the best pairing partner.

remembering the Koetsu carts, I might try some other headshells as well.

The Shun Mook sonic finetuning is very sensible, even the torque of the screws is important.

So this cart will give me some finetuning fun during the German winter time :)

But the state of the Moment is is already good and and very much involving.

View attachment 45963 View attachment 45964 View attachment 45965 View attachment 45966 View attachment 45967 View attachment 45968 View attachment 45969 View attachment 45970 View attachment 45971 View attachment 45972
Nice report! Looking forward how it will involve!

I am trying a wooden Grado Epoch at the moment, will report later.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
A couple of hours later, the Shun Mook plays much more open.
I would say, that now the wooden Headshell and the wooden Cartridge body do have the same room temperature (they were stored before in rooms with 20 degrees celsius difference)

cannot see another reason , as that the resonance coupling of the two wooden parts do now work better.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Shun Mook Cartridge was perfect with my Horn Speakers, but with my Wilson Audio Maxx 3 I prefer Carts with more energy in the upper regions, so I decided to sell the Shun Mook. You will find my No 107 listed in the WBF Classifieds section (under the Classifieds tab)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing