Shunyata Z-tron Alpha Series

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
During CES 2014, Shunyata has introduced 2 new members to its Z-Alpha series of Z-tron power cords. The Alpha series now comprises 3 products:

* Z-tron Alpha HC -- "designed for high-current draw components such as high power amplifiers"

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/power-cables-footer/84-alpha-pwr-cables/307-cobra-digital-4

* Z-tron Alpha -- Analog -- for devices with linear power supplies -- "designed specifically for analog type components that have linear power supplies"

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/power-cables-footer/84-alpha-pwr-cables/306-cobra-digital-3

* Z-tron Alpha Digital -- "specifically tuned for digital type components that emit ultra high frequency noise"

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/power-cables-footer/84-alpha-pwr-cables/305-cobra-digital-2

I have not found pricing for the new HC and Analog cords yet, but the pages linked above suggest that they may be priced similarly to the Alpha Digital... Perhaps grazing the $1K mark? .

The word "cobra" in the three URLs may suggest that all these wires may perhaps be based on the original Z-tron Cobra, but I have no information to corroborate this conjecture.

I have not determined how the two new wires fit in the Z-tron performance scale... Perhaps Grant or Caelin can comment, when they get a breather from CES duties

Saluti, Guido

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Very confusing. These "alpha" cords are positioned as analog, which begs the question how do they stack up in the lineup against the existing analog zitron cords (Python, Cobra, and Anaconda).

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Edorr, in sure that things will become clear in the next several days, after Caelin and Grant are back from CES.

One interesting question is... Which Alpha PC might be best, and with what audible differences, for high power amplifier that run in class D and/or sport SMPS... E.G. the ARC DS450M, Mola-Mola Kaluga, or Rowland M925... The new Alpha HC variant, or the original Alpha Digital?

Guido

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The Alpha Series of power cables is an evolution of the XiTRON technology. Its function has been expanded to allow it to actually attenuate power line noise without a power conditioner. We were doing live demonstrations at the show with a power analyzer to demonstrate its effectiveness. You can see static screen shots of these tests on our website under Features.

There are and always were three different versions designed: Digital, Analog and High Current. We simply chose to release the Digital version first and release the other two at the CES Show. Each is tuned slightly differently to address the different types of components that they will be used on. The description for how to use them is pretty clear on the website under Application for each cable. You use the Digital cable on digital components. You would use the HC cable on amplifiers, conditioners and other high current devices. And the Analog cable would be used on classicly designed (linear power supply) components like preamps, tuners, tape decks etc.

We will post a video of the testing when we have some time for those that didn't make it to the show.

The Alpha Digital is US$995 and the Alpha Analog is $995 while the Alpha HC is $1250. The XiTRON Cobra cables are obviously most affected by the new cables but have no plans to discontinue the Cobra. Many people like them and we will continue to produce them as long as there is a demand.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Thank you Caelin for the clarifications.

Am I correct to infer that the HC variant is designed for high power amps, regardless of class of operation: A, A/B, or D... And of type of power supply: Linear, Toroidal, or SMPS?

I believe you about the videos being informative... But I will not see them. Optical blackout for last three decades *grins!*

G.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thank you Caelin for the clarifications.

Am I correct to infer that the HC variant is designed for high power amps, regardless of class of operation: A, A/B, or D... And of type of power supply: Linear, Toroidal, or SMPS?

I believe you about the videos being informative... But I will not see them. Optical blackout for last three decades *grins!*

G.

Yes on the HC. The HC version has twice the number of conductors and dual XiTRON circuits to handle the deeper current pulses from high current devices. This is why it is 25% more expensive.

As far as seeing the demo - I think if you attended a demo and heard the responses from the audience, you would definitely understand why the Alpha cables are different.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The Alpha Series of power cables is an evolution of the XiTRON technology. Its function has been expanded to allow it to actually attenuate power line noise without a power conditioner. We were doing live demonstrations at the show with a power analyzer to demonstrate its effectiveness. You can see static screen shots of these tests on our website under Features.

There are and always were three different versions designed: Digital, Analog and High Current. We simply chose to release the Digital version first and release the other two at the CES Show. Each is tuned slightly differently to address the different types of components that they will be used on. The description for how to use them is pretty clear on the website under Application for each cable. You use the Digital cable on digital components. You would use the HC cable on amplifiers, conditioners and other high current devices. And the Analog cable would be used on classicly designed (linear power supply) components like preamps, tuners, tape decks etc.

We will post a video of the testing when we have some time for those that didn't make it to the show.

The Alpha Digital is US$995 and the Alpha Analog is $995 while the Alpha HC is $1250. The XiTRON Cobra cables are obviously most affected by the new cables but have no plans to discontinue the Cobra. Many people like them and we will continue to produce them as long as there is a demand.

What about a preamp with built in dac and linear power supply? Alpha digital or analogue?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
These hybrid, combination components may need some trial and error. Both will improve the sound quality but one may be slightly better. We will gain more knowledge about specific components as people report their experiences.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
These hybrid, combination components may need some trial and error. Both will improve the sound quality but one may be slightly better. We will gain more knowledge about specific components as people report their experiences.

G
I was hoping for a more definitive answer!
I had an ZCobra on a Meridian 818v2. I had great bass, air, layering, all the good things. Based on some of your feedback here and elsewhere, I installed an Alpha Digital on it. At first I experienced a somewhat clearer presentation and was looking forward to great things to come. But about 300 hours in, everything went. No bass, no image depth and layering. Actually becoming hard to listen to over extended periods. Now at 450 hours, maybe a bit better. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it. But I can say no one who comes over has anything to say about my system now where as before it was always positive (and unsolicited ) comments. Does this ADigital need more time or is it just not working here?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
G
I had an ZCobra on a Meridian 818v2. I had great bass, air, layering, all the good things. Based on some of your feedback here and elsewhere, I installed an Alpha Digital on it. At first I experienced a somewhat clearer presentation and was looking forward to great things to come. But about 300 hours in, everything went. No bass, no image depth and layering. Actually becoming hard to listen to over extended periods. Now at 450 hours, maybe a bit better. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it. But I can say no one who comes over has anything to say about my system now where as before it was always positive (and unsolicited ) comments. Does this ADigital need more time or is it just not working here?

Do you really expect somebody to have a spreadsheet with the results of how all possible cable combinations sound with every piece of audio gear ever created?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
G

450 hours is more than enough time to burn in a cable.
We cannot test products with every possible manufacturer's product.
The testing that we have done at the plant and with beta testers has been universally positive. It is possible that the Alpha Digital is not the perfect match for the Meridian. Perhaps the Analog cable would be a better match since this is an analog/digital component.

PM me and I help facilitate a trial for you.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin

out of curiosity how does the Alpha High Current PC compare against Anaconda. IOW what would be the benefit of using one vs the other

The Anaconda is a superior cable since the Alpha Series uses the same conductors as the Cobra. Whether the hybrid XiTRON circuit can overcome that inherent superiority will be entirely dependent upon each component. To generalize, it would be possible on a digital type device and not very likely on an analog or high-current device.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Do you really expect somebody to have a spreadsheet with the results of how all possible cable combinations sound with every piece of audio gear ever created?

I never mentioned my specific component in my original post.
Suggest you know what you are commenting about before you post.......

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I never mentioned my specific component in my original post.
Suggest you know what you are commenting about before you post.......

Oops! Sorry. I was up all night listening to my complete Shunyata system, so I was a little slow.

I was referring to this part, not the original post. However, your post did give me an idea for a question to ask as soon as I can flesh it out. Thanks.

G
I had an ZCobra on a Meridian 818v2. I had great bass, air, layering, all the good things. Based on some of your feedback here and elsewhere, I installed an Alpha Digital on it. ...... Does this ADigital need more time or is it just not working here?

Swelfelo

Jun 30, 2012
Palisades, New York
I wonder if Shunyata is planning to segment its market the same way with the Anacondas or its other cables? I think it was Malcolm Gladwell who wrote an essay on what happens when the consumer is overloaded with too many choices.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Fascinating. G.

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
My apologieze Swelfelo, I acknowledge Your conjecture.

Swelfelo

Jun 30, 2012
Palisades, New York
Guido,

No apologies needed at all. I think that we all agree that the cables would sound excellent. How the target market would be able to make a rationale selection decision with so many choices might result in purchasing paralysis if you accept Gladwell's hypothesis. That said, I am saving up my nickels and pennies (a lot of them) for an Alpha Digital cable.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing