Shunyata Z-tron Alpha Series

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Guido,

No apologies needed at all. I think that we all agree that the cables would sound excellent. How the target market would be able to make a rationale selection decision with so many choices might result in purchasing paralysis if you accept Gladwell's hypothesis. That said, I am saving up my nickels and pennies (a lot of them) for an Alpha Digital cable.

not only the alpha digital but I can tell you that the Alpha High Current PC is special as well. Mine has been burning in for the past 5 days and is beginning to sound terrific

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Argghh! Do not tell me this. I have myself convinced that my all Black Mamba HC CX system is "good enough."

It is always good enough, you still have the positive improvements that you paid good money for with your Black Mamba CX power cables. There is and always will be better. It is a fact of life in our audio hobby. Those advancements do not stop nor negate the pleasure that you derive from your current cables. (Which, by the way, are better than most of of all the power cables that have been developed since the days of Edison for audio!)

Swelfelo

Jun 30, 2012
Palisades, New York
If it were always just "good enough" then no one would ever upgrade, and who said anyone in this hobby is rational! I derive full satisfaction from what I have assembled but have trouble turning off the little gremlin in my head which says "you could make this better."

coopersark

May 24, 2013
If it were always just "good enough" then no one would ever upgrade, and who said anyone in this hobby is rational! I derive full satisfaction from what I have assembled but have trouble turning off the little gremlin in my head which says "you could make this better."

The audio industry, from the manufacturers, to the magazines, to the dealers and distributors all need us to have those little gremlins in our heads! "Promote the latest and greatest, sell the latest and greatest ,and then make the audiophile customer unhappy with what they have by introducing the new and improved latest and greatest." The wheels of the bus go 'round and 'round....I know that I have those gremlins, as well as most of us who are involved with the wonderful hobby of ours!

Swelfelo

Jun 30, 2012
Palisades, New York
Amen to that. However, I am grateful to my core for what I do have, that my hearing is good enough to appreciate the differences, and that I can reach for something better on occasion.

I take Caelin at his word that the Alpha Digital is a sui generis cable at its price point, worth the investment and I have just the worthy receptacle for its snaky charms.

Steve Williams

Amen to that. However, I am grateful to my core for what I do have, that my hearing is good enough to appreciate the differences, and that I can reach for something better on occasion.

I take Caelin at his word that the Alpha Digital is a sui generis cable at its price point, worth the investment and I have just the worthy receptacle for its snaky charms.

I have an Alpha Digital as well as a new pair of Alpha High Current and at their MSRP, IMO they are hard to beat

coopersark

May 24, 2013
I have an Alpha Digital as well as a new pair of Alpha High Current and at their MSRP, IMO they are hard to beat
I am also currently using several Alpha Digital cables and for the money they are hard to beat! Thse may be the best buy in digital audio today on a price to performance ratio!

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Hmmm... I fear, from the symptoms described above, that some of us, I included, may be suffering from DAC, also called Degenerative Audiophphrenic Chorea. See the scholarly article at:
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue46/audiophrenia.htm

G.
The symptoms of enjoying audio equipment and the music that is played on that equipment? That is certainly what you will find on this forum! People who want to learn from one another and further appreciate what they have and potentially what they are missing from their audio systems. Our collective systems are an enhancement to our lives and not a form of isolation - at least in my case! My wife, who is hearing challenged, is still involved with our sound room and loves listening. I know that article is tongue in cheek humor!
In the case of the Alpha digital cable , there is nothing to joke about until you have tried it! I and many others firmly believe that it advances digital sound reproduction in the context of a high end audio system way more than its moderate price.

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I'll drink to that CooperSark... While I have not had the honor of inserting an Alpha wire in my system yet, I have been partial to the Shunyata sound for years.

You are correct BTW... I did write the editorial with my Tongue mostly planted in my cheeck, except for the final paragraph. It is also true that one need not possess a perfect sensorial complement to love music, the endless facets of its reproduction, or to write about them. My audiophile friend Peter Scialli -- for example -- was blind, and... So am I *grins!*

G.

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
Greetings,
I'm new here.. although not too new.. In any case I also have the Black Mamba CX HC in my system and am considering a move to the new Alpha HC for my Talos, but am a bit stuck on which one to get for my Devialet 200.. I did speak a bit with the Shunyata folks but still tossing between the Alpha Digital for the Dev200 or the Alpha HC.. The Devialet can pull a lot of power so I lean towards the HC for it as well.. Any one want to opine? Thanks..

Steve Williams

Greetings,
I'm new here.. although not too new.. In any case I also have the Black Mamba CX HC in my system and am considering a move to the new Alpha HC for my Talos, but am a bit stuck on which one to get for my Devialet 200.. I did speak a bit with the Shunyata folks but still tossing between the Alpha Digital for the Dev200 or the Alpha HC.. The Devialet can pull a lot of power so I lean towards the HC for it as well.. Any one want to opine? Thanks..

Personally I would use the HC but hopefully Caelin will read this post and chime in. I don't have a Devialet but I do use the Alpha HC for my amps. Bear in mind that Shunyata is now releasing their Sigma series. I have had the Sigma Digital PC in my system after the Alpha Digital and truly as good as the Alpha is the Sigma is indeed several notches above.

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
Thanks Steve.. If the Devialet was an Analog power amp it would be a no brainer to use the HC on it.. but since at its heart it's a digital product.. I keep wondering if the Alpha Digital would be better. The discussion I had with someone at Shunyata was that the HC combines the filtering of the Alpha analog and digital, and of course is a higher gauge cable, for higher current applications..

Now there's a Sigma series.. I'd sure like to know how those differ and the price points.. I'm about at my limit with the Alpha HC so we'll see.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
From what I understand, Caelin has a Devialet and has developed a power cable called the ?TRON Z-PC10 to fix in compoments with tight clearances around the AC input.

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
That's true Dan.. But that cord is really only the best choice if one cares about being able to fit the cosmetic rear cover.. I don't really care about fitting the rear cover if I have to trade off for performance.. which the Z-PC10 is in comparison to the other cords..

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Erik,

The Devialet has a filtered IEC input, which can be seen in the picture below, so I don't if the Alpha Digital will give you any additional benefit.

According to a post on Devialet Chat, the unit is pulling less 30 watts while playing.

D200 - IEC.jpg

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
Interesting, on the Devialet web site Devialet lists this spec for power draw: Switched-mode power supply 600W continuous, 3000W peak power..

And yes I knew about the filtered IEC that's why I'm leaning towards the Alpha HC..

Steve Williams

Interesting, on the Devialet web site Devialet lists this spec for power draw: Switched-mode power supply 600W continuous, 3000W peak power..

And yes I knew about the filtered IEC that's why I'm leaning towards the Alpha HC..

You're making the right move IMO

I will keep my pair of Alpha HC that are on my amps and move them to my subs.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
My experience with the Alpha series hasn't been so great. I have all Z Anacondas in my system now and like them very much. With all the hype and whatnot I started experimenting with the Alpha line. First the Alpha Digital and then the HC. Neither one in my system compared to the Anacondas. That being said, I ordered the new Sigma HC and am hoping it exceeds my expectations. They are supposed to ship in a few weeks as I understand there are some parts they are waiting on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing