Sigma Acoustics MAAT Vector XAC

Reactions: Marcus
I’ve not heard the maat with best tube amps so I can’t comment on that. But with 2 different tube amps used to drive the Orchestra 2.9 at Aldo’s room at Munich sound nowhere near the karan and pilium in my opinion.

Although they’re very sensitive speakers at around 100db 8ohm, but in order to control those 15” woofers properly at any volume level, it requires very powerful amps at the highest quality built possible.

Due to my family situation, I can’t come to visit Aldo at his place just yet and the owner of the system with maat/kondo to see how things go. But one day I will make it happen, hopefully soon enough.
Andrea is using Kondo Gaukon-II, 50W/ch 211 power amps and these drive speakers like there’s no tomorrow. We put on the most demanding classical and rock pieces you can imagine and drove them to insane levels. To be honest, it was way over my (loudness) tolerance level, and at times I was expecting Gaukons to crash, but they went through these torture tests with authority and total control. Fascinating!

4246cabd-9cc4-429e-b950-7b089cd0117a.jpeg

IMG_3463.jpeg

Tweeters are from Mundorf.

You see two hand tightening knobs at the back of the bass cabinet? I was told that with these you can put additional pressure on woofers from the back, so my prediction is that these knobs must be connected to the woofers with a metal rod or something similar to further damp woofer casks. Maybe sonrock can explain that better…

Yes Tweeter is AMT design (Heil) ..! Sensitivity is rated at 100db , nice piece of kit ..!

Last edited:
The massive knobs are indeed to control the bass extension by increasing or decreasing the air movements toward the back of the speakers.

Aldo’s using very dedicated metal tubes inside the cabinets for bass reflex of each driver, and the woofers have extra treats to tailor for the room and owner’s preference.

Last edited:
Andrea is using Kondo Gaukon-II, 50W/ch 211 power amps and these drive speakers like there’s no tomorrow. We put on the most demanding classical and rock pieces you can imagine and drove them to insane levels. To be honest, it was way over my (loudness) tolerance level, and at times I was expecting Gaukons to crash, but they went through these torture tests with authority and total control. Fascinating!
I think the kondo gakuon are something else among all other tube amps which I believe are very special. I’m just no longer interested in tubes, otherwise I’d definitely give them a try here.

Well if speaker is 97db -98db , 50 watts will be sufficient db level wise. The higher voltage amp will control the bass better so there is something to gain do so which may or maynot improve total performance ..

That’s true, and that’s why I said we need very high quality built amps to drive the maat to their ultimate performance regardless ss or tubes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu