Siltech Cables

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Congarts ,Eli, excellent choice . The siltechs G7 are in my expereince very neautral sounding with great coherency top to bottom. They may be a tad bit slower then say the speed demons like Argento or Nordost ,but the Siltech's entire package's ,exceeds the sum of its individual parts ,if you will.
ENJOY!

Thanks. I was really looking for the empress to match the SC, but there was a good oportunity. Wonder if higher models do gain a bit on speed and high extension, while keeping what these already do so well or if they just give more of the same presentation but enhanced.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Eli,

Funny cause I have also added a Queen G7 RCA to my system around a month ago. Really bested the Snow Lake G5 by a long shot, although I also went from XLR to RCA and this accounts for a SQ improvement with my DartZeel gear.
Hi Joost you are improving greatly the system. Congra5s. Queen is a fantastic cable overall, but y8u know that already....

Not familiar with Dartzell but surprised RCA sound better than XLR. Should be at least the same, if not better. Or that is most of the cases the norm. What I noticed with TAD is that fast extended cables yield impressive results in certain music like concertos. With symphonies or even chamber Siltechs presentation is better. Will try no to get to a middle point, but still not sure how.

In any case I am talking about minor things though, not huge differences, but knowing how they can perform in each case, is hard not to try to get that little extra

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
I am going to try the slitech between DAC and preamp, placing my previus all silver and faster cable between pream and amps and see what happens.

That means I will have to take out the esoteric mexcel DA6300 which I really like from DAC to pre, while keeping another pair to connnect digitally transport and DAC amd another pair of DA6100 for clock to both units,

but I think it may work better that way, or I hope it does. I do miss that extra speed in certain transients, specially in concertos when the main soloist is playing. In these cases, with the siltech from preamp to amp the orchestra takes too much of a main role with the full wheighty presentation. Sp3cially the case iis n string concertos.

We will see.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am going to try the slitech between DAC and preamp, placing my previus all silver and faster cable between pream and amps and see what happens.

That means I will have to take out the esoteric mexcel DA6300 which I really like from DAC to pre, while keeping another pair to connnect digitally transport and DAC amd another pair of DA6100 for clock to both units,

but I think it may work better that way, or I hope it does. I do miss that extra speed in certain transients, specially in concertos when the main soloist is playing. In these cases, with the siltech from preamp to amp the orchestra takes too much of a main role with the full wheighty presentation. Sp3cially the case iis n string concertos.

We will see.

Interesting Eli...please let us know your thoughts on this. Specifically the changes in 'balance' in your system. I too am looking at various cable changes in the last 6 months and have noticed a change in balance, and thus would appreciate reading about your own evaluation process.

I am happy with mine cables changes, but would not mind reading other people's experiences to make me think again and go over it one more time to be sure. I stayed within the TA family so that helps...going from 13-yr old TA Ref to latest MM2 versions of TA Ref XL and RefMM (just below Opus). The XL is far, far better than my old TA Ref speaker cable...but the RefMM between my DAC and Pre...smokes, that was not a component upgrade...it was the equivalent of a change in speakers...i would say a vastly upgraded model of the same speaker or one level of speaker up in the same line. I remain stunned.

That said, the bass balance has changed and i have had to readjust my sub settings just a touch...the older TA Ref cables were less clear all around, particularly in treble, and the bass seemed fatter but less precise. Specifically, the volume on my sub went from 34 to 36 to 38 with each subsequent change.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Ok, so it was not as expected. Placing the Siltech upstream at DAC to Preamp, with RS element silver back on from preamp to amps did get back speed and extension at highs.... The sound was very detail from highs to mids, and very palpable at those frequencies. but maybe just a bit too much. Presentation was thin in comparation. And sound did not go as low as with any of the other two combinations. It lacked bass extension this time around. I changed again shortly after.

So place back the mexcel DA 6300 at DAC and decided to leave it the comparing the siltech and the SR from preamp to amps. Both of these combinations get very good bass extension and definition. The Siltechs may be a bit better there but not by much. i think same extension but Siltech may be a bit more defined and with more impact at lows. And then it seems to be a matter of musicality vs speed and highs extension. Still trying to figure out what I like better. The Siltechs got better on speed but still not quite there compared to the other combination. Same with extension at highs and even low level details like ambient and air... Then the overall presentation, like in big orchestra playing has more impact. This is a close call so far. As of now I can not say one is better than the other, but seems more like a decission that will imply a trade off. Do have to do more listening I think in this case to decide what I like better. Dont know if with a higher model it would be more clear, but with the queen this is what I hear so far.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
More finding...

I truly have a doubt here. Having tried the siltech queen some things they do are great but not a 100% round performance. Great mids and mid lows. Fantastic there. Highs too polite and not extended like combination of the mexcel 6300 and synergistic research galileo element silver.*Alli n all with the shortcoming (and things they do great of course) of both combinations (mexcel 6300 DAC to preamp ans SR element silver from preamp to amp, vs. Mexcel DAC to preamp and siltech queen from preamp to amp), I think I preffer the mexcel + *SR. I do miss a bit in body and lows with the former. And specially in definition at mid lows. But speed and high extension makes the mexcel + SR more enjoiable.

But trying now to find ways to get to get best of both, or at least find a middle point.Is strange how cables change performance and affect sound depending on where you place them along the system stream... I find the speed is much more afected by the cables from premp to amp, while tone by cables up atream close to source. Or so I find...

Still I need to do more listening since both Siltech and SR takes a long time to settle after you remove them from system and place them back in so comparing gets more dificult.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Eli08...a very good to read to learn about your experience and observations. Sounds like a case of 'synergy' or system matching for you...wil be interesting to see the final combination. Good luck.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Yes. Will keep udating. Seems this may end up being an expensive exercise. Have some ideas but need to find certain models and lenths second hand so I can experiment and not loose a fortune. Things I have in mind I can try includelacing a mexcel from pream to amp (6300 1, 5 meters). This is a fast detailed cable with good bass and can work well with the siltech upstream or another mexcel. Or try all siltech. Or mexcel plus siltech with a fast power cord , like a mexcel 9300 or 7500.

All to tru to balance to a middle point. Any other suggestions are welcomed

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes. Will keep udating. Seems this may end up being an expensive exercise. Have some ideas but need to find certain models and lenths second hand so I can experiment and not loose a fortune. Things I have in mind I can try includelacing a mexcel from pream to amp (6300 1, 5 meters). This is a fast detailed cable with good bass and can work well with the siltech upstream or another mexcel. Or try all siltech. Or mexcel plus siltech with a fast power cord , like a mexcel 9300 or 7500.

All to tru to balance to a middle point. Any other suggestions are welcomed
Well...you could always try Odin. ;)! nordost always known for speed and transparency...and Odin supposedly incredibly pure sounding too...ask Microstrip.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Nordost and Siltech in one same system could be an interesting exercise. Don't have experience with Nordost. I also thought of Crystal cable. In my mind that would be similar to the SIltech + SR I tired before. Very very detailed and fast but maybe a bit to thin? But just guessing. As said do not have experience on either one of those, and maybe could be fantastic.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Nordost and Siltech in one same system could be an interesting exercise. Don't have experience with Nordost. I also thought of Crystal cable. In my mind that would be similar to the SIltech + SR I tired before. Very very detailed and fast but maybe a bit to thin? But just guessing. As said do not have experience on either one of those, and maybe could be fantastic.

Personally I think for Crystal Cable the lowest one to start with is the Standard Diamond, the Piccolo and Micro to my mind loses a bit too much and are a bit like you say thin or another description subtly "bleached" although still incredibly good with fast high energy transients such as drums.
Even the Standard Diamond I think suffers a bit of this but does a lot of other things so right.

One consideration with the interconnects on Crystal Cable, the Crystal Bridge Diamond that seems to work well with the lower range and Standard, although its cost might as well possibly just upgrade from Standard to Reference that works out only a few hundred more from what I remember (never thought of trying bridge on that).
SO if have a very good system and looking at the high end cables, would consider Reference and higher from Crystal Cable.

I have the Crystal Standard Diamond but listened to model each side - may try the bridge interconnect vs Reference again in future out of curiosity, if a 2nd hand/ex demo Reference comes up for sale.
Also own a few other manufacturer cables, but never tried Siltech so very curious on the comparison between them and say Crystal Cable Reference and higher models, or even Standard with Bridge.
Cheers
Orb

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
i'm thinking to get Princess XLR and Prince Speaker Cables
or 770i
not sure the differences

other CableCo (retail price)
do you know a dealer that sell Siltech? (can be anywhere in the world if he offer good prices and not fake cables)

TommyC

May 28, 2014
Anyone have experience with Crystal Cable Absolute Dream? Deciding between this and the Siltech Ruby DC for a digital source.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Tommy,
I think there are a couple here with either the Dreamline Plus/Absolute Dream cables.
If they do not respond might have to do a search for their historical comments.

Cheers
Orb

TommyC

May 28, 2014
Tommy,
I think there are a couple here with either the Dreamline Plus/Absolute Dream cables.
If they do not respond might have to do a search for their historical comments.

Cheers
Orb

Thanks, I searched the Cable forum, but did't find any good comparison posts.

Audioclyde

Jul 1, 2011
I'm considering trying some Siltech interconnects (currently running Jena Labs Valkyrie & Symphony). Looking at the used market due to cost (and of course concerned with fakes!).

Anyway, for those with historical Siltech knowledge: how would the SQ-110 Classic mk II compare to the 770i model?

Thanks in advance!

Randy

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I'm considering trying some Siltech interconnects (currently running Jena Labs Valkyrie & Symphony). Looking at the used market due to cost (and of course concerned with fakes!).

Anyway, for those with historical Siltech knowledge: how would the SQ-110 Classic mk II compare to the 770i model?

Thanks in advance!

Randy

Randy,
the number of fakes unfortunately is ridiculous for Siltech so need to be very careful :(
I am looking at Siltech myself later this year for speaker cable, but I will probably go on the hunt for ex-demo or 2nd hand (but this must be supplied from same authorised dealer and sold or p/x back to them) only from authorised dealers.
If you intend to be a bit more broad on your hunt, research the packaging (especially internally as many use different foam packaging) as this is one area many fail on, also there is the certificate but then this can be potentially faked by duplicating existing real serial numbers (so make sure it makes sense the region the cable turns up in relation to that information and ask the age/when purchased) and importantly phone Siltech and asked to be put through to verify the cable details - they can say who the dealer was (important as usually on the box and obviously invoice), serial number, order number, etc.
I found it better to telephone than email, in my experience anyway.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Agree with Orb 100%.
Be very very careful when buying used Siltech, Taralabs and Audioquest cables.
The counterfeits can be so perfect that some local dealers are unable to screen them out!

Audioclyde

Jul 1, 2011
Thanks; yes I think caution is the key when trying to buy used Siltech.

Still curious as to any thoughts comparing the SQ-110 Mk II vs the 770i (if I understand, the SQ-100 has been replaced in the product lineup).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing