Siltech Cables

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Having heard from them the models Queen, Emperor II, DC and TC, if I would have to say which is the best combo price/performance I think I would say the Emperor II. Of course DC is better, and not just by a short margin, and the TC is just something else. But if you have to factor in price, probably with Emperor, that is a cable no one would think they are missing anything compared to almost any other thing you can listen to. I was very happy indeed with them.

Just don't listen to higher models ;-)

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I heard some top models of Siltech. Double Crown is very good, Triple Crown the best. Lower model for me had no sense to buy. Than better is buying Purist Audio Design-25th Anniversary-Luminist Rev. Lower price than Double Crown, near the same range. In my system PAD is a little better, in my friend's system DC was a little better, so we can say that they are at the same range. But much better then lower models of Siltech than Double Crown.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Eli, could you be so kind and elaborate on the stiffness/ difficulty to place the TC i/cs?
There used to be cables out there that were so heavy and stiff that they would lift components off the rack....are the TC fall into that category???

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Sure. They are very thick. The interconnects I mean. So you have an idea, the interconnects are about the thickness of the Emperor II speaker cables. They really make the DC interconnects seem very thin in comparation. However the Speaker cables (TC) are much similar in size to the Empero II.

However I did not have much problems dealing with them. They will surely not lift components off the rack unless they are very light. Not even close.

I only see 2 potential problems. If you have to turn one of the leads 180 degrees that would be difficult. However it seems they have a system by which the connectors rotate. But I couldn't figure out how.

The second has to do with weight and potential stress on the connectors or tails. I solved that by placing some support at half way the run. Although assume they have covered that to not be a problem.

The connector for the male plug is very innovative and well thought. Really tight and will not move an inch.

The tails of the speaker cables are more tricky as they are thicker, but also workable.

All in all, great cable.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Thank you Eli. i'm considering repalcing my DC with with the TC, between the dac and preamp.......
Sound wise ,how would you describe it in comparison to other cables/and/ or other siltech models?

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
I think that is the one that will actually have the greatest effect of all the cables (interconnects and SC) one can change. Soundwise it does have the typical Siltech sound, but even more refined, lower noise thus you hear more, better presentation. More music all in all. The highs are even sweeter but at the same time very defined and extended. No minus or trade offs to other models. I will consider very seriously in the near future changing as well de DC I have between DAC and preamp.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I think that is the one that will actually have the greatest effect of all the cables (interconnects and SC) one can change. Soundwise it does have the typical Siltech sound, but even more refined, lower noise thus you hear more, better presentation. More music all in all. The highs are even sweeter but at the same time very defined and extended. No minus or trade offs to other models. I will consider very seriously in the near future changing as well de DC I have between DAC and preamp.

That's good to hear... what has been your experience regarding the ground/lift selector on the cables? what differences, if any, does it lend?

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
I haven't done any tests with that. So far have just connected it as they suggest (star grounding scheme with center point preamp). Will try other options when cables have more hours on them. I wonder how the grounding shceme is in the rest of the line. Assume the same as they suggest.

patriot

May 5, 2015
Hello,

Some people said that the most important power cord is the one into the distributor block/regenerator/conditioner. Some people said that this power cord doesn't matter at all - I saw the following setup: wall socket --- Ruby Hill 2 G7 --- power conditioner --- Ruby Double Crown (5 pieces).

I thinking about purchasing the Ruby Double Crown or Ruby Mountain 2 G7 for my Siltech Octopus Signature Eight AgAu. I have no chance to experiment it. The rest power cords are Ruby Mountain 2 G7 in my setup. What do you think about it? Shoud I buy the Ruby Double Crown or Ruby Mountain 2 G7 is good enough for this purpose?

Is there any sonic difference between the Ruby Double Crown 1m long and 1,5m long (or Ruby Mountain 2 G7 1m and 1,5m)?

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
My apologies for only now, a year later ,to notice and read your question. At the risk of being redundant,as you may have already purchased and placed your Siltech so, I'll say this-
The ruby D.C. Power cords are very very quiet and noticeably more so then the ruby mtn cords, inme.
These shouldn't be any noticeable differences betweeen a1m and a1.5m.
Put the best cord(ruby D.C.) on your distributor and proceed from there.
Hope it helps, albeit ,a year later.......

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Also, an update-
Replaced the Siltech double crown speaker cables with the triple crowns.... simply astonishing dynamics, and details I have not witnessed from any cables Ytd.

patriot

May 5, 2015
My apologies for only now, a year later ,to notice and read your question. At the risk of being redundant,as you may have already purchased and placed your Siltech so, I'll say this-
The ruby D.C. Power cords are very very quiet and noticeably more so then the ruby mtn cords, inme.
These shouldn't be any noticeable differences betweeen a1m and a1.5m.
Put the best cord(ruby D.C.) on your distributor and proceed from there.
Hope it helps, albeit ,a year later.......

Hello ozy,

Your comments are very valuable and helpful. Response time no object.

Now I have run a full loom of cables from the Siltech.

Power distributor:
- Siltech Octopus Signature Eight AgAu

Powercords:
- Ruby DC 1m (1 piece), 1.5m (1 piece)
- Ruby Mountain 2 G7 1m (2 pieces)

Interconnects:
- Empress G7 SST 0,75m
- Empress G7 XLR 1m

Speaker cable:
- King G7 Biwiring 1,5m

I can confirm your findings: "Put the best cord(ruby D.C.) on your distributor and proceed from there."

And I can say: there is sonic difference between Ruby DC 1m and 1.5m long: the soundstage is bigger, especially wider; bass deeper. Ruby DC 1.5m is clearly better...

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Have been playing with the settings on my Siltech triple crown interconnects and speaker cables- it seems the using the recommended "star grounding schemes", has opened up the sound even more.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Ozy, good to hear from you.

I have a full TC system now. From DACs to preamp, preamp to amps and SC. They have been there for quite a long time now, since last time I posted here. Great cables, yes.

Actually they do recommend to leave all grounds in the floating position despite the user manual says otherwise. And I have to say it is the best combination I have tried, so they are like that in my system for months now and have not looked bak.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Hi Eli, great to hear from you as well.
so if i read you correctly, you have switched all buttons to the ''float" position everywhere?
what are you hearing that is an improvement over all"ground'?
yes, i also have gone to the deep end, and added TC- i/c from the preamp to the amps, and speaker cables...... this not a hobby, it's a robbery....LOL.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Tell me about it...!

Yes, all buttons in float at all ends. Is rare since the manual says otherwise as you know. First when I installed them I followed the manual. And staid like that for a while. Started doing tests, and somewhere I read an interview to the designer, in listening session, where he recommends leaving all floating, although says others should be explored. So I tried and it was the best combination for me. Not that I tried all of them, but just the most obvious.

There is not a huge difference if I remember correctly. Sound is more open and music flows better. With them in star ground all was like more controlled. Maybe a bit too much. But not talking about huge differences here. Great either way although I did find listening with all floating more enjoyable.

If you do a search in the web I'm sure you will find the listening session report that I mention. Is a good read. It was Polish. From the Warsaw audio society or similar. Good guys.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Eli, after a couple of days listening to the TC all in float mode , I got what you and the polish reviewer were referring to- much better dynamics and ease of the sound. As if the constraints have been lifted. Thank you for the heads up.
And yes, an excellent review by the polish reviewer.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Glad to hear it was of help. This is what most people seems to find. Only I wonder why they say what they say in the user manual. It is strange. I can't find the interview and review right now. Was feeling like giving it another read. Just found this,

http://soundrebels.com/siltech-triple-crown-english-ver/

which I haven't read still.

Now if you look at their Facebook page, you will find, and I just found about it this morning... it seems they are releasing TC power cords at CES. Outch... That is good news... or not, I guess..

Really wonder what they are going to do with the plugs. As if they are as heavy as the interconnects, it will be a challenge to design something that can deal with the weight.

We will see.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Ok yes I found it. This is what Edwin (he is the owner and designer right?) says on the shields:

"However, I have my own opinion of it. From my point of view, Triple Crown cables sound much better without a connected shield. In top-end, well-compiled systems that are characterized by high resolution and open, the “float” version will always sound better. Of course, one can have their own preferences, but there is a so-called “consensus” when it comes to better sound and, for me, it is sound without shields, even if not everyone likes it and even if it does not pertain to all recordings. In my opinion, if a system sounds better with connected shields, it means that there is some error in the system."

which is quite a claim I have to say. So what so you do if you find out after listening that it sounds better is sort grounding configuration? And now I remember what left me very surprised. If this is so, just why they say to set it up at start grounded config. in the user manual.

Anyway they do sound better floating. That is a fact in my listening test back when I did them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing