I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
The purpose of the side weight is to counter the tipping effect of the cartridge weight due to the tonearm J-shape, and thus to ensure that the knife edge is properly seated in the saddle and its weight is evenly balanced across the saddle.

Miniguy, how does the side weight account for different weight cartridges/headshells? It looks like it can slide for and aft but that only effects the front to back balance at the bearing, not the side to side imbalance across the saddle. And, without actually seeing the knife edges seated in the saddle, how does one know it is correctly seated or balanced? I would think that a heavy cartridge and a light cartridge would present very different rotational loads around the main axis of the tonearm. I've never seen one of these arms, but do you know if that side weight can be rotated up or down by rotating the main counterweight clockwise or counter-clockwise? If it can be, that would be one way to counter balance the weight of the cartridge/headshell.

Miniguy, how does the side weight account for different weight cartridges/headshells? It looks like it can slide for and aft but that only effects the front to back balance at the bearing, not the side to side imbalance across the saddle. And, without actually seeing the knife edges seated in the saddle, how does one know it is correctly seated or balanced? I would think that a heavy cartridge and a light cartridge would present very different rotational loads around the main axis of the tonearm. I've never seen one of these arms, but do you know if that side weight can be rotated up or down by rotating the main counterweight clockwise or counter-clockwise? If it can be, that would be one way to counter balance the weight of the cartridge/headshell.

The side weight on its outrigger can be adjusted transversely to achieve correct lateral balance for any cartridge weight within the design range. Once that is done per the instruction in the manual, then the knife edge bearing will be properly mass loaded.

The side weight on its outrigger can be adjusted transversely to achieve correct lateral balance for any cartridge weight within the design range. Once that is done per the instruction in the manual, then the knife edge bearing will be properly mass loaded.

Thank you. That is a very nice feature.

i am interesting (David pleas. and others of course)
if any of you switch the original wiring of your 3012r to a cardas for instance?
brass bearing? brass plate? or the original 3012R as it was built 20 years ago (lets say) is no where to be touch!

thank you

if any of you switch the original wiring of your 3012r to a cardas for instance?
brass bearing? brass plate? or the original 3012R as it was built 20 years ago (lets say) is no where to be touch!

thank you

I think DDK already answered these questions if you look thru his responses

New Wiring ....No
Aftermarket weights etc No no no lol

I think DDK already answered these questions if you look thru his responses

New Wiring ....No
Aftermarket weights etc No no no lol

i didn't see anyone referring to a new brass bearing, or base plate for extra performance.
but if everything else is under those consensus... :)

thank you

Anything you do will change the balance of the arm, don’t replace the wiring if you don’t have to the original vdHul wiring is excellent otherwise Cardas is an acceptable replacement. Stick with original parts for the rest brass parts might enhance some aspect of the sound but overall the effect was always negative in IME.

david

Anything you do will change the balance of the arm, don’t replace the wiring if you don’t have to the original vdHul wiring is excellent otherwise Cardas is an acceptable replacement. Stick with original parts for the rest brass parts might enhance some aspect of the sound but overall the effect was always negative in IME.

david

Khun David,

I ask you here so will be useful to others. Does NOS come with lead wires? Have you tried pure copper 8N leads?

Tang

Khun David,

I ask you here so will be useful to others. Does NOS come with lead wires? Have you tried pure copper 8N leads?

Tang

Yes it does as do mint used ones. I have tried many different phono cables with good results and the old SME ones were as good as the best of them.

david

I too drank David's SME 3012R Koolaid few years back and got a pristine one with all the original trimmings from him. Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but David recommended the original tonearm cable that came with the one I got to be replaced with later model NOS SME tonearm cable from a seller in Europe. David's advice worked out well and my guess was the NOS tonearm cable maintained the balance of the total setup to be neutral. I bought several cables sets at the time but can't see the same seller on eBay anymore.

Last edited:
I too drank David's SME 3012R Koolaid few years back and got a pristine one with all the original trimmings from him. Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but David recommended the original tonearm cable that came with on the one I got to be replaced with later model NOS SME tonearm cable from a seller in Europe. David's advice worked out well and my guess was the NOS tonearm cable maintained the balance of the total setup to be neutral. I bought several cables sets at the time but can't see the same seller on eBay anymore.
Late 3012-r samples came with the hybrid SME phono wires which are a little dark, why I recommended to get the earlier copper only cable that you purchased.

david

Reactions: Petrat
Francisco,

If you are still interested in getting the tonearm in Germany, I can try find the part number or David can help with the number for the NOS SME tonearm cable. I'm sure it can be sourced elsewhere maybe even from SME still.

I too drank David's SME 3012R Koolaid few years back and got a pristine one with all the original trimmings from him. Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but David recommended the original tonearm cable that came with the one I got to be replaced with later model NOS SME tonearm cable from a seller in Europe. David's advice worked out well and my guess was the NOS tonearm cable maintained the balance of the total setup to be neutral. I bought several cables sets at the time but can't see the same seller on eBay anymore.

IIRC the NOS cable is Van den Hul copper

Like you Ki mine was in an unopened box sitting on a shelf somewhere for decades

IIRC the NOS cable is Van den Hul copper

Like you Ki mine was in an unopened box sitting on a shelf somewhere for decades

You are one lucky audio guy, Steve. As I recall, your new Studer A810 sat on a shelf somewhere in Europe for decades as well before finding you.

I have a few of these...while old and good, they are not the same as the original 1981 cables that came with the 1981 3012R arm. I have two NOS 3012R's both with original cables...I see no need to spend $5-10K trying some ridiculous priced Nordost, Siltech or Crystal, ect cable. Cables are the biggest racket in the hi end audio biz, imo. No one has convinced me otherwise. Full disclosure...I have well over $100K in Nordost Odin cable. If I could only do it all over again....sigh.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing