Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Lagonda,

Sorry - I honestly haven't used the "TR" for a while, and last time it was on the TD 127 that is my “stand-by TT”, or mainly in “shellac service” .

But from my meagre recollection, it's marginally less detailed than the LP.
All my 3 other cartridges (KOETSU and SPU) I would rate as “better in all aspects” (in know , not a very clear description of sound :() , but especially voices I rate as more natural, which is one of my most important criterions.

I almost always use the low setting, 2 Ohm, on the Airtight SUT.
========
Copied from here: http://benzcartridges.com/products/ebony/
The Ebony TR is designed for use with a Step Up Transformer (SUT), featuring a .1mV output and a coil impedance of less than 5 ohms.”
====

Regards

Urs
Thank you Urs. My LPS went from an air bearing arm to a SME 3012R when i purchased the TR. A much better fit for the heavy cartridge. The TR is in my system also slightly less detailed, but more forward and dynamic in its presentation. Less focus on soundstage, more on performers. Maybe partly because af the SUT a 1/40 ratio model. I like your taste in cartridges, Koetsu or SPU are probably what i will get next.

I am mounting a Miyajima Zero on my 3012R. My plan is to track it at about 3.5 gms. In order to do that with the full counterweight compliment the weights need to sit as close to the pivot as possible. There is very little space left. However, if I remove one of the weights it sits about 2/3s of the way back. Which setup is preferable?

I am mounting a Miyajima Zero on my 3012R. My plan is to track it at about 3.5 gms. In order to do that with the full counterweight compliment the weights need to sit as close to the pivot as possible. There is very little space left. However, if I remove one of the weights it sits about 2/3s of the way back. Which setup is preferable?

hard to say but I would go with the added weight and keep it close to the pivot.

The different positions changes the moment of inertia and effective mass of the arm. It depends on the compliance of your cartridge for best match. I'd try both and see which sounds better. I used to think closest to pivot point was best, but this is not always the case. It depends on the cartridge/arm match. Best to try both and stick with the one you prefer.

Can someone with this tonearm please do me a favor and tell me the approximate distance between the bias guide pulley and the bias lever?

Thanks in advance.

;)! In all these years with the 3012-r this is the strangest question I've ever heard, I need to understand this one:confused:.

david
Maybe Ian wanted to make sure it was not bent into the wrong position. I’m clumsy and occasionally hit that damned thing to !

;)! In all these years with the 3012-r this is the strangest question I've ever heard, I need to understand this one:confused:.

david

David, I made the mistake of trying to adjust the height of the arm rest (which involves rotating the mechanism) without removing the bias arm and snapped the filament.

I then fused/ glued the two pieces together but the weight sat right up by the pulley. So I didn't know if I bent the bias arm or somehow shortened the filament.

The fused filament didn't hold either so I have 2 things to sort out.

David, I made the mistake of trying to adjust the height of the arm rest (which involves rotating the mechanism) without removing the bias arm and snapped the filament.

I then fused/ glued the two pieces together but the weight sat right up by the pulley. So I didn't know if I bent the bias arm or somehow shortened the filament.

The fused filament didn't hold either so I have 2 things to sort out.

I knew that there was something behind the question and this is a first! You could have spared Ked his fantasy and just asked about the filament; which is a more impressive 3" long!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing