I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it had anything to do with politics. People just calling out what they perceived to be wrong.
That's correct and incorrect. Making a moral judgement on someone striking another is fine, but we all know that references to "woke" culture is a buzzword; a rallying cry of a certain political/social perspective. Just go over to online RedState and take a look. That's fine too, its free speech, and as I said, I'm not here to referee, but to say it is not is inauthentic.

That's correct and incorrect. Making a moral judgement on someone striking another is fine, but we all know that references to "woke" culture is a buzzword; a rallying cry of a certain political/social perspective. Just go over to online RedState and take a look. That's fine too, its free speech, and as I said, I'm not here to referee, but to say it is not is inauthentic.
Many of us don't have the US as a background so woke carries with it different connotations. Interesting website though not really to my taste!

I understand, howie, I didn't think about how people are from all over here. American egocentrism run amok again!

Yes, RedState has morphed recently, after a staff purge a few years back. Not necessarily my cup-o-tea either, but, as a radical egalitarian, I maintain that they are entitled to their opinion too.

Reactions: howiebrou
I was going to ask you if you want to sell the Denon wire to me in case you dont like. I have two sets of 1 meter. I would like more sets. If you could spare me a set I will buy at twice the price you got. :)
If I eventually go away from the Denons, you can have 'em. I'll keep it in mind.

I understand, howie, I didn't think about how people are from all over here. American egocentrism run amok again!

Yes, RedState has morphed recently, after a staff purge a few years back. Not necessarily my cup-o-tea either, but, as a radical egalitarian, I maintain that they are entitled to their opinion too.
Why are you posting all this garbage on a tonearm thread?

Well, of course, just for you...

BTW, see you selling a lot of analog gear, nice stuff - getting out of TTs, or just going to a new rig? Just curious....
Ah, now I remember....Derek, this is you, right? An audiomart ad on your CSPort TT: "I received this shipment yesterday after a 4 month wait. During that time plans have changed and I'm retiring from vinyl. Purchased from a USA dealer."

If you're retiring from vinyl, why do you care about an SME arm thread? Or was it the RedState thingee that brought out your ire?

Why are you posting all this garbage on a tonearm thread?
Well, time to get back to the topic at hand.

I haven't yet hooked up the vintage SME phono cable, looking forward to that - thank you david and Tango for that help - but my plinth arrived yesterday, ready for the 3012-R. I know, the whole 301 project is a bit of a cliche, and that many of you have been there/done that, but it's been a while coming and something I wanted to complete, if just on principal. Should be fun...thinking of a SPU Century....Need some feet, though. I have a set of Shun Mook UDRs around somewhere, but that might be a waste, or just not right, as they are not height adjustable, and perhaps just too big, aesthetically. Any feet suggestions would be appreciated.

Derek, saw you also selling a NIB SME 3012-R, and it comes with a ddk alignment jig...are/were you one of david's followers, before you recently quit vinyl?

page1image36580112

Reactions: rando
What so ever do you cook in such a strange looking tagine?

Bespoken cooktop is très chic sans polystyrène.
Ha! You know, it does look like a tagine. But that's just where it landed after I unpacked it. Just stuck the SM clamp on it for flavor; never seen one on a 301 and assume there might be a reason for that...Actually. I left it there so my wife could see it as she came in the door from work (she's the baker, not me...). She said the night before that I could install it in the living room with a pair of speakers...so I thought it best she grasp its size to make sure that was still OK.

My wife speaks French, but not me. I took an excruciating 5 yrs of Spanish back in college and still can't speak a lick. I put your French through the translator, but still not sure I got the entire meaning....sorry.

Reactions: rando
Asa, you've been here on WBF for 2 months; clearly you are a smart guy and all, but i think you should dial back the personal comments a bit. just my personal opinion, of course.

i do like the 301 pic, btw.
Thanks Mike, I'll make a note, sincerely. But recall, I never used the term, "garbage," to anyone. And nothing I've said has been personal; about anyone's personality, just what they said. But I hear ya...some people don't like being told anything by anyone, i.e. they're entitled, or perhaps consider this their own personal sand box (and it may very well be...). I've actually been considering that this might not be the best place for me. So, for the time being, adieu (the only French I know!)

Yes, but the same SME connectors is not enough to be sure that it is the David approved SME cable - they have more than one type of cable with these plugs. Unless you have a very detailed photo of the details of the cable and preferably a measurement of the exact capacitance it is hard to tell. At some moment I bought several used SME 3012R's and two had different cables, although the plugs the same SME ones.

Before someone asks, I sold them except the best looking one, that I kept for the TechDas 12" position.

Edit - just to add we had several past threads in WBF about this arm, even questioning the origin of the wire used in the NOS cable - some people suggested it was from van den Hul - but I never saw a definitive confirmation on this subject.
Hi Peter. I wanted to thank you again for the help with the SME cable. When I gave you grief on the natural thing, I forgot this was you. And it occurs to me that maybe you just wanted me to explain on a different thread...Anyway, I'm quitting WBF for a while, probably permanently, just not the right place for me, that's all. I just wanted you to know before I signed off that I remembered this help of yours. Be well, Mark

Reactions: djsina2
What's 150 miles north of Chicago? Actually more like Holmgren Way or perhaps Manitowoc - they build minesweepers there. Careful where you step! Here it's what you step in - maybe get some natural on your shoe. Almost impossible to get of

What's 150 miles north of Chicago? Actually more like Holmgren Way or perhaps Manitowoc - they build minesweepers there. Careful where you step! Here it's what you step in - maybe get some natural on your shoe. Almost impossible to get off.
I'm sorry, tima, must be a WI thing, not sure what you are saying?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing