I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
What's 150 miles north of Chicago? Actually more like Holmgren Way or perhaps Manitowoc - they build minesweepers there. Careful where you step! Here it's what you step in - maybe get some natural on your shoe. Almost impossible to get off.
Tim, just see you're an online reviewer. I use to review at TAS, thinking of going back. Are you going to be at AXPONA? Maybe we could share a beer?

Unfortunately, I'm 1.5 hours north of Chicago; I can't even get my adult kids to come out from the city and visit!

Waukesha?

What's "Waukesha"? You have me there.

What's 150 miles north of Chicago? Actually more like Holmgren Way or perhaps Manitowoc - they build minesweepers there. Careful where you step! Here it's what you step in - maybe get some natural on your shoe. Almost impossible to get off.

I'm sorry, tima, must be a WI thing, not sure what you are saying?

I figured if you are 1.5 hours north of Chicago, then yes, it might be a WI thing.

All your base are belong to us.

Reactions: Bobvin
Tim, just see you're an online reviewer. I use to review at TAS, thinking of going back. Are you going to be at AXPONA? Maybe we could share a beer?

Hi Asa. Yes I do write audio reviews. I used to read TAS avidly; maybe I read it when your wrote for them? I'm guessing you are not Anthony Cordesman. I do still subscribe. You are thinking of going back to writing reviews? Tell me something you reviewed - something analog. That is a very nice looking turntable in your picture.

And thank you for the invitation. It would be great to share a beer with you at AXPONA. Alas I will not be there despite being only 1.5 hours north. If I were going I'd bring you some Spotted Cow - they won't sell it to people in Illinois.

It looks like the show actually will happen, I hope it does - though still two weeks for a fow chi strike. The audio community needs a good big show and the opportunity for people to get together, see who's still alive and save us from wholesale virtualization. Since you'll be in the Schaumberg area I highly recommend your children drive out from the city to take you to Bob Chin's Crabhouse in Wheeling (20 minutes northwest), reservations recommended. On the other hand ...

Ha! I've had Spotted Cow plenty - good beer, use to sell it at the grocery store here. Then, poof, gone...a while back too. My wife and I drive up to the New Glarus region now and then, so pretty.

I hear you about the COVID. Hope they have the show too...but, to be honest, I'll make my decision depending on how the wind is blowing that day.

Can't decide about the reviewing thing. Maybe its just nostalgia on my part, as the big mags, way back then at least, were pretty catty. I had to quit just to keep my love of the hobby alive. I still read 'em all too, but get their limitations.

Well, hopefully, maybe next year it will have blown over and we'll run into each other....

Reactions: tima
SME sold 1500 of them. Yea, a bit exxy but it does look in perfect condition.
It would look brilliant on your Garrard :cool:
I've got two of them already. One on my Technics SP10 and one on my Micro Seiki. The gold Ikeda on my Garrard complements it perfectly too.:)

Reactions: XV-1
I have a very stupid question. The manual which can be downloaded form SME states the distance from bedplate centre to turntable centre is 11 9/16 inches , which is not the same as the distance in mm, and also not the same as stated on vinyl engine which is 295.6mm.

Which spindle to distance you guys use? Also, what is the distance for overhang gauge I should get?

I have a very stupid question. The manual which can be downloaded form SME states the distance from bedplate centre to turntable centre is 11 9/16 inches , which is not the same as the distance in mm, and also not the same as stated on vinyl engine which is 295.6mm.

Which spindle to distance you guys use? Also, what is the distance for overhang gauge I should get?
According to manual SME 3012R's effective length: 307.34mm, bedplate centre (pivot) to spindle distance: 294.1mm (11 9/16 inch). when you convert 11" 9/16 to mm result is 293.7mm. I think it's close enough to 294.1mm cause as a sliding base tonearm the SME 3012R's pivot to spindle distance is not constant and it changes depending on the cartridge you use in order to achieve required overhang.

here are the specs:
Ekran Resmi 2022-07-19 11.21.26.jpg

According to manual SME 3012R's effective length: 307.34mm, bedplate centre (pivot) to spindle distance: 294.1mm (11 9/16 inch). when you convert 11" 9/16 to mm result is 293.7mm. I think it's close enough to 294.1mm cause as a sliding base tonearm the SME 3012R's pivot to spindle distance is not constant and it changes depending on the cartridge you use in order to achieve required overhang.

here are the specs:
View attachment 95793
Thank you so much. But on the brochure, the distance is 295.6mm.. I am confused on this.

I am trying to setup a huge cartridge. which making observation when the cartridge landed on the ruler a bit difficult. Can I still use the SME/EIA standard that defines the distance between needle tip and bayonet flange to 52,5 mm to setup my cartridge? So that I can setup the cartridge on the shell separately so that all I have to do is to mount it and get the distance right?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-19 at 5.04.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-19 at 5.04.40 PM.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 5
Can I still use the SME/EIA standard that defines the distance between needle tip and bayonet flange to 52,5 mm to setup my cartridge?
if you're installing cartridge on an SME headshell -which I recommend- no, you can not use it if you don't have a Lyra. IMHO it would be a better choice to use a good protractor instead of measuring stylus to bayonet distance.

But on the brochure, the distance is 295.6mm.. I am confused on this.
for SME tonearms specified effective length and pivot to spindle distance are not exact and only achieved with a cartridge which has 9.52mm distance from stylus to fixing holes center. in terms of lateral alignment the most important thing is to setup the correct overhang and offset depending on the geometry the SME arm is designed for.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk
if you're installing cartridge on an SME headshell -which I recommend- no, you can not use it. IMHO it would be a better choice to use a good protractor instead of measuring stylus to bayonet distance.

for SME tonearms specified effective length and pivot to spindle distance are not exact and only achieved with a cartridge which has 9.52mm distance from stylus to fixing holes centre. in terms of lateral alignment the most important thing is to setup the correct overhang and offset depending on the geometry the SME arm is designed for.
I am using a AT Headshell.I have a protractor but the enclosure of the cartridge ( infinity mono ) is so big and it is very close to the playing surface which makes it very difficult to setup.

For the second part, how do I setup the right overhand and offset? It sounds much more complicated than setting up my 4point.

I am using a AT Headshell.I have a protractor but the enclosure of the cartridge ( infinity mono ) is so big and it is very close to the playing surface which makes it very difficult to setup.

For the second part, how do I setup the right overhand and offset? It sounds much more complicated than setting up my 4point.
According to the manual 3012R uses Lofgren A geometry. You can simply get a Lofgren A (Baerwald) protractor and follow the steps on the attached manual. You should align the cartridge in the headshell to be tangential at both null points.

Attachments

• ve_sme_3009r.pdf
    988.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: lscangus
i guess i have set it right then. I am always frustrated or mislead by old vinyl which has heavy inner grove distortion. I guess?

I’m not sure if we can generalize old records having more inner groove distortion compared to new ones. I never experienced that kind of anomaly with old records so I don’t know if that’s the case with your situation but there can be a lot of other reasons for high inner groove distortion.

I’m not sure if we can generalize old records having more inner groove distortion compared to new ones. I never experienced that kind of anomaly with old records so I don’t know if that’s the case with your situation but there can be a lot of other reasons for high inner groove distortion.
What are the other factors for higher inner groove distortion?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing