I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what the stock SME headshell weighs and if it's ok to use a heavier one (dimensions remain the same)? My cart seems to be 1gr short of being able to be balanced yet the effective mass of the 3010R seems perfect for it.

You could try heavier mounting screws.

Does anyone know what the stock SME headshell weighs and if it's ok to use a heavier one (dimensions remain the same)? My cart seems to be 1gr short of being able to be balanced yet the effective mass of the 3010R seems perfect for it.
The counterweight is in two parts, remove that section and you should be fine. You can use other headshells but everything I tried was worse sonically that SME's own headshell.

david

works great with a full bodied rich sounding cartridge.

That sounds my ideal type of cartridge, which ones do you have in mind?
The ones I know are the Dynavector Xvt, Ortofon Century, some of the Lyras, definitely the vintage SPUs and vintage derivatives are all excellent choices. But be aware the with this type of cartridges set up is crucial special with the SPU families, get VTA wrong and you get a dull thick sound.

david

Can I just ask if the SME 3012R likes heavy belt drive decks like the ones DDK has or is it more universally applicable? A second question is - it it just the 3012r, or does that extend to the 3009 equivalent?

Can I just ask if the SME 3012R likes heavy belt drive decks like the ones DDK has or is it more universally applicable? A second question is - it it just the 3012r, or does that extend to the 3009 equivalent?
I own/owned other tables too specially idlers, some I remember; a Linn, Thorens TD124, TD126 TD520w, TD16 & 160s, Garrard 301-401 with SME 30xx-R on them. What I can tell you about them is that I'm using the same tonearm and with every upgrade I'm even more impressed by it's abilities. I didn't jump from zero to 100 in one go, many other tables along way.

david

Reactions: howiebrou
What is the difference between 3012-r series 1 and 2? Any difference in sound quality?
DDK can answer this more clearly but I can give you my impression of the R vs the Series 2. I have found the R better in every aspect:

Sound (better base and refinement)
Fit and finish (the R just seems to be designed better)

Just my two cents.

DDK can answer this more clearly but I can give you my impression of the R vs the Series 2. I have found the R better in every aspect:

Sound (better base and refinement)
Fit and finish (the R just seems to be designed better)

Just my two cents.
Thank you:) But my question was the difference between 3012-R series 1 and 3012-R series 2. I am under the impression that there are two different series also of the 3012-R arms, or maybe I am wrong?

Thank you:) But my question was the difference between 3012-R series 1 and 3012-R series 2. I am under the impression that there are two different series also of the 3012-R arms, or maybe I am wrong?
There's only one R series. You have the Series II and S2 Improved.

david

Thank you:) I ask because I saw a box for the 3012-R that says "Series II Model 3012-R" on it. Then I thought it had to be a Series I Model 3012-R also.

Thank you:) I ask because I saw a box for the 3012-R that says "Series II Model 3012-R" on it. Then I thought it had to be a Series I Model 3012-R also.
You're welcome hogan, it can become confusing with such similar naming.

david

There's only one R series. You have the Series II and S2 Improved.

david
David,

According to a German audio forum SME manufactured the SME 3012-R with saddle (nylon edge) bearings and a late version with steel bearings - the Series II Model 3012-R. Apparently this Series II Model 3012-R was the last of the SME 3012 versions.

My other SME 3012 R's had nylon saddles, but just noticed that the one I kept because it was not complete has an original metal one, it is easily seen the screws were never touched.

See the picture of the box copied from the net: b1.jpg

I know that until recently we could still order the metal saddle from SME.

David,

According to a German audio forum SME manufactured the SME 3012-R with saddle (nylon edge) bearings and a late version with steel bearings - the Series II Model 3012-R. Apparently this Series II Model 3012-R was the last of the SME 3012 versions.

My other SME 3012 R's had nylon saddles, but just noticed that the one I kept because it was not complete has an original metal one, it is easily seen the screws were never touched.

See the picture of the box copied from the net: View attachment 71330

I know that until recently we could still order the metal saddle from SME.
Hi Francisco,
The steel bearing was alway available since the original Series 1, I'm not sure when they introduced the nylon version and it became an option but they had them for S2 which is a slightly different size from 3012-R's there's no overlap with models.

They had a different external packaging for Asia (top box) which only said model 3012-R without the confusing Series II of the European ones but it was the same tonearm. The steel bearing was always an option from the start and you could either order from the factory with it installed, 3rd box from top, or get the standard model with nylon bearing 2nd from top, and add the steel later. The other European version was the gold plated one. Of course there was the black anodized so called Pro model for Asian markets but it shared the same packaging as the standard model.

Later on in the 90's they added silver wiring as another option!

3012-R-versions.jpg
david

Last edited:
Hi Francisco,
The steel bearing was alway available since the original Series 1, I'm not sure when they introduced the nylon version and it became an option but they had them for S2 which is a slightly different size from 3012-R's there's no overlap with models.

They had a different external packaging for Asia (top box) which only said model 3012-R without the confusing Series II of the European ones but it was the same tonearm. The steel bearing was always an option from the start and you could either order from the factory with it installed, 3rd box from top, or get the standard model with nylon bearing 2nd from top, and add the steel later. The other European version was the gold plated one. Of course there was the black anodized so called Pro model for Asian markets but it shared the same packaging as the standard model.

Later on in the 90's they added silver wiring as another option!

View attachment 71332
david
Not just the packing, I can assure you. They also labeled the tonearm bases - see my Series II SME 3009 R base. The intention of having a series 2 R model is clear. sme_R_series2.jpg

Here is the history of the 3009/3012 arms and their different versions:

I think the reason 3012R arms have the Series 2 dedication is because SME started making the 3012" improved " model in 1972, with aluminum tube that was actually considered inferior by many to the earlier series 2 arm. They then went back to the heavier series 2 with steel tubes in 1984 with the R arms o_O

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing