Solar Cell electricity effect on Audio???

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
i have 40:solar panels and one big 10kw DC to 3 phase AC inverter. As required by local utility, I also have an isolation transformer sits between inverter and my main service panel.

I don’t hear any negative impact to the sound quality.

And the : "one big 10kw DC to 3 phase AC inverter" is in the house and not like steve micro inverters in the roof right?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
And the : "one big 10kw DC to 3 phase AC inverter" is in the house and not like steve micro inverters in the roof right?
It seems the systems in the EU are based on a single inverter whereas here in the USA I see almost no inverters only microinverters

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
I listen all day and thus I am listening to my system via solar. I can say with clear confidence that the is zero negatives heard when you have solar PROVIDED that you are using a system where each panel uses a micro inverter rather than a total system dependent inverter as these older systems do suffer sonically from the larger inverter. I have 30 panels on my roof each of which has its own micro inverter. This is the way to go both economically and also if you are and audiophile. Solar in my house has been nothing but positive for me in every way including audio

How do you listen when there is no sun?

Reactions: Nascimento

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Micro-inverters are easier to maintain and perform better if there is shade. But it is more costly especially if the number of panels go up.
Tesla solar panels are also using one big inverter for installation. Enphase are leading manufacturer of micro-inverter

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
He’s totally clueless about solar and it’s effect on high end audio systems. The microinverters convert the DC to AC before it enters the house. There is zero negative impact on ones sound system. Plus I haven’t had an electric bill in over 2 years
Steve, why does converting it "before it enters the house" make any difference? Paul was talking about inverter noise and likening them to switch mode PSUs, which is an apt comparison. I'm just honestly trying to understand how or why micro-inverters somehow resolve these concerns.

Steve Williams

Hi Brian

i can only speak to the issue of microinverters and there is no noise

A battery is next in line for me as I am banking about 700KWH/month

as to listening when it’s dark out the answer for me is easy as over 90% of my listening is during the day but a battery is in my future

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Battery bank
Are batteries almost affordable and reliable in useful capacities in the meantime?

Last time I asked, I was told to wait another year or two...
Btw. that was the same answer I got 4 years ago :rolleyes:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hi Brian

as to listening when it’s dark out the answer for me is easy as over 90% of my listening is during the day but a battery is in my future
Do you mean you have excess of 700 kWh per month after your own usage?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Brian

Yes, but as far as I understand the battery bank will not use the microinverters - and most people here do the opposite you do - they listen 90% of the time when there is no sun.

Lamm equipment is excellent but IMHO atypical to discuss power issues - no digital parts at all, even a simple remote controller, tube rectification, powerful mains filters and no feedback. Do you experience any change in sound quality when going from solar to regular mains?

Steve Williams

Yes, but as far as I understand the battery bank will not use the microinverters - and most people here do the opposite you do - they listen 90% of the time when there is no sun.

Lamm equipment is excellent but IMHO atypical to discuss power issues - no digital parts at all, even a simple remote controller, tube rectification, powerful mains filters and no feedback. Do you experience any change in sound quality when going from solar to regular mains?
What is it you don’t understand? I’ve said there is zero change

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is it you don’t understand? I’ve said there is zero change

Ok, currently zero change. But my post mainly addressed the fact that you will not be able to use the microinverters when using battery power.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Ok, currently zero change. But my post mainly addressed the fact that you will not be able to use the microinverters when using battery power.
I am not sure what you mean. Micro-inverters are small devices just behind solar panels to convert DC to AC. Why do you want to use micro-inverters to convert from DC battery to AC?

Steve Williams

Ah ok. Tesla powerwall is only 13.5 kWh. Even if you get two, you will still pump the excess back to the grid.
Can you sell the excess at premium rate to the utility?
There is no such thing as selling it at premium rates any more. The utility company buys it from us at $0.03/kWh and sells it back to us for $0.20-$0.45 / kWh depending on the time of useage

• Wow

Steve Williams

There is no such thing as selling it at premium rates any more. The utility company buys it from us at $0.03/kWh and sells it back to us for $0.20-$0.45 / kWh depending on the time of useage
This is why a battery becomes essential

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am not sure what you mean. Micro-inverters are small devices just behind solar panels to convert DC to AC. Why do you want to use micro-inverters to convert from DC battery to AC?

Well, it seems you are not following the discussion. We are being told that apparently micro-inverters are good for sound quality, inverters are not. And you can't have solar full time.

A battery with an inverter is just a power regenerator similar to some audiophile products on the market. And in principle we can have many batteries, each with its inverter ... ;)

Steve Williams

Well, it seems you are not following the discussion. We are being told that apparently micro-inverters are good for sound quality, inverters are not. And you can't have solar full time.

A battery with an inverter is just a power regenerator similar to some audiophile products on the market. And in principle we can have many batteries, each with its inverter ... ;)
I think it’s important to say again that I am completely pleased with my sonic results which is zero change since going solar. You can’t tell one from the other.

my only comment about inverters came as a result of a member here who had posted some sonic issues he had with his and turned out he has a single inverter.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think it’s important to say again that I am completely pleased with my sonic results which is zero change since going solar. You can’t tell one from the other.

my only comment about inverters came as a result of a member here who had posted some sonic issues he had with his and turned out he has a single inverter.
Surely. But what percentage of WBF members and readers listen during sunny hours and do other activities after sunset? ;)

IMHO the subject is interesting and deserves some technical analysis. Unfortunately your micro-inverters are a Sunpower custom design and I could not get a couple of them to test.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing