Solar Cell electricity effect on Audio???

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I am seriously considering placing Solar cells on the roof of my house electricity wise i can be energy neutral thats a good thing but how about the effect on sound system?
All inputs and your experience will be welcome......!

Some say solar energy is clean whit out dirt others say solar energy is a primitive way to produce electricity and will have bad effect on your system..?

In my meter cupboard I have three phases coming in the house i am using two of them for all the house and one only for my audio groups.

solar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
From my perspective, it hasn’t had any effect on the stereo, but it has basically eliminated my electric bill. On the other hand, I don’t listen to the stereo much, or critically, during the day.

Reactions: amey01 and amadeus

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I installed in two steps almost 100 panels with the annual production capacity of around 30 MWh.
During the summer time the voltage in my installation raised to around 250, even 253 V which is still conform to Polish norm whis is 230 V with 10% tollerance.
I have been told that it can be solved by adjustments on the inverter side but that would result in reducing the production capacity.
I ordered 1,5 kV audio transformer with Toroidy.pl to reduce the voltage by around 13-14 V and I installed it in my second system which I use during sunny days.
I listen to main system only on cloudy days and the evenings when the voltage is below 240 V.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am seriously considering placing Solar cells on the roof of my house electricity wise i can be energy neutral thats a good thing but how about the effect on sound system?

Some say solar energy is clean whit out dirt others say solar energy is a primitive way to produce electricity and will have bad effect on your system..?

In my meter cupboard I have three phases coming in the house i am using two of them for all the house and one only for my audio groups.
I have a 10.8 KW solar grid on my roof for the past 2 years. My system was designed so that I will never be on the grid of my utility money and pay them money. In the over 2 years since going solar I have never regretted it and I have never received a bill from my electric company

My journey is here

I listen all day and thus I am listening to my system via solar. I can say with clear confidence that the is zero negatives heard when you have solar PROVIDED that you are using a system where each panel uses a micro inverter rather than a total system dependent inverter as these older systems do suffer sonically from the larger inverter. I have 30 panels on my roof each of which has its own micro inverter. This is the way to go both economically and also if you are and audiophile. Solar in my house has been nothing but positive for me in every way including audio

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Run my system of a 10kw pv solar system for over 10years & sounds better than the mains with no fancy cables & balance sell to the Grid
battery back up in event of power cut , rock solid 230v/50hz with lower RFI/EMC and harmonics than the mains
& powers a large system - Active speakers with 18amplifiers 7,200watt total

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I always tell people that if I got solar that the sun would go dark when I fired up the stereo (2 sets of vacuum tube amps, Io with 2 power supplies). All told, over 2.1 kW to listen in bi-amp mode.

But in reality, in the Pacific NW we have 6 months overcast.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
live in scotland with 10day summer rest it rains

Reactions: bazelio

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
We are off grid on the Island and have been using solar since 2013.
Adding 32 320w panel this spring and then the micro hydro in the summer when the creek flow slows down. Will have to change the inverter as we will have more power to convert and get a new battery bank. Lead carbon or Lithium are in the running.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

You already have the best ideal IMO ...

Run my system of a 10kw pv solar system for over 10years & sounds better than the mains with no fancy cables & balance sell to the Grid
battery back up in event of power cut , rock solid 230v/50hz with lower RFI/EMC and harmonics than the mains
& powers a large system - Active speakers with 18amplifiers 7,200watt total

Are These class D ..?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am so curious about this. An inverter is a big switch mode device. You would think incredibly noisy. I wonder if some companies have focused on filtering the noise. Or have codes said get rid of the noise. Or do the micro inverters on each panel have less effect than a single 5 to 10 kva inverter.

I think about solar occasionally, but Seattle WA has maxed out their solar intake. The utility are now in a way punishing you for installing it by drawing down the payback to everyone. They don't want anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: Nascimento

Steve Williams

Or do the micro inverters on each panel have less effect than a single 5 to 10 kva inverter.
indeed they do. Don't buy a solar system if they are going to use a single inverter rather than a micro inverter for each panel

There is zero adverse effect when listening to your sound system

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have a 10.8 KW solar grid on my roof for the past 2 years. My system was designed so that I will never be on the grid of my utility money and pay them money. In the over 2 years since going solar I have never regretted it and I have never received a bill from my electric company

My journey is here

I listen all day and thus I am listening to my system via solar. I can say with clear confidence that the is zero negatives heard when you have solar PROVIDED that you are using a system where each panel uses a micro inverter rather than a total system dependent inverter as these older systems do suffer sonically from the larger inverter. I have 30 panels on my roof each of which has its own micro inverter. This is the way to go both economically and also if you are and audiophile. Solar in my house has been nothing but positive for me in every way including audio

"I can say with clear confidence that the is zero negatives heard when you have solar PROVIDED that you are using a system where each panel uses a micro inverter rather than a total system dependent inverter as these older systems do suffer sonically from the larger inverter. I have 30 panels on my roof each of which has its own micro inverter. This is the way to go both economically and also if you are and audiophile. Solar in my house has been nothing but positive for me in every way including audio"

Dear Steve thank you for your answer!

As i stated n my meter cupboard I have three phases of each 25A (total 75A) coming in the house i can choose between connecting the 45 solar cells (15kw) i have 2 alternatifs:
1. I can connect all the solar cells on 2 of the 3 phases and connect the Audio group on the resting 3th phase so i always also in the day time have direct electricity from the main electricity network and the solar cells will power for the rest of the house and home office in this alternative i will get 2 inverters for each phase.

2.I can get connected all 45 solar cells divided in 3 on all 3 phases and get one big triple inverter.....

Also there is a possibility to talk whit the electricity network and make the 3x25 ampler heavier to 3x35 ampler....

Please your comments thanks!

Steve Williams

"I can say with clear confidence that the is zero negatives heard when you have solar PROVIDED that you are using a system where each panel uses a micro inverter rather than a total system dependent inverter as these older systems do suffer sonically from the larger inverter. I have 30 panels on my roof each of which has its own micro inverter. This is the way to go both economically and also if you are and audiophile. Solar in my house has been nothing but positive for me in every way including audio"

Dear Steve thank you for your answer!

As i stated n my meter cupboard I have three phases of each 25A (total 75A) coming in the house i can choose between connecting the 45 solar cells (15kw) i have 2 alternatifs:
1. I can connect all the solar cells on 2 of the 3 phases and connect the Audio group on the resting 3th phase so i always also in the day time have direct electricity from the main electricity network and the solar cells will power for the rest of the house and home office in this alternative i will get 2 inverters for each phase.

2.I can get connected all 45 solar cells divided in 3 on all 3 phases and get one big triple inverter.....

Also there is a possibility to talk whit the electricity network and make the 3x25 ampler heavier to 3x35 ampler....

Please your comments thanks!
So why 45 cells?

Here we measure cells in watts and mine are each 360 watts which were the highest at the time.( Now I think you can get cells which are 400 watts), hence the 10.8 KW grid on my roof. The company that did my install analyzed all of my electric bills over the previous 2 years and averaged how many KWH I was using on any given day. I told them that I wanted to always make enough to cover my needs and be able to bank enough that I can install a garage battery too save the excess so I can charge an EV. I am presently banking about 700 KWH/month

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
And how about this the owner designer of PS Audio claims no go for Solar Cells and High-end audio :

Steve Williams

And how about this the owner designer of PS Audio claims no go for Solar Cells and High-end audio :

He’s totally clueless about solar and it’s effect on high end audio systems. The microinverters convert the DC to AC before it enters the house. There is zero negative impact on ones sound system. Plus I haven’t had an electric bill in over 2 years

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
i have 40:solar panels and one big 10kw DC to 3 phase AC inverter. As required by local utility, I also have an isolation transformer sits between inverter and my main service panel.

I don’t hear any negative impact to the sound quality.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
He’s totally clueless about solar and it’s effect on high end audio systems. The microinverters convert the DC to AC before it enters the house. There is zero negative impact on ones sound system. Plus I haven’t had an electric bill in over 2 years
I also had no confidence what this gentleman propagated it seems he is afraid if we switch to solar energy that he will lose customers ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing