Some 2018 Axpona Pics

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The baby Wilson Audio speaker (I am forgetting the model) with Sim Audio electronics sounded sublime as well. My apologies, because the picture I took is too blurry. But this could be a game over system for many, as well.

Sabrina?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Dynaudio Anniversary w/ Octave. BIG sound from these small speakers. Octave amps look bulletproof - German engineered and German built - as solid as a BMW. I believe the output transformers for their tube amps are wound in-house.

Dynaudio anniversary.JPG

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Where is a pic of you for scale?

I can't take any of your comments seriously since you started off with "MBL sounded good". I don't think they sound good even by the standards people judge them by. You have to like some strange sound to be into them, a very unique itch. Frankly I was kinda shocked to see you post that, after reading so many of your contrary posts.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I can't take any of your comments seriously since you started off with "MBL sounded good". I don't think they sound good even by the standards people judge them by. You have to like some strange sound to be into them, a very unique itch. Frankly I was kinda shocked to see you post that, after reading so many of your contrary posts.

Were you at the show? I heard them play a “Baba O’Reilly” from an unknown pressing and it sounded great.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

I’m not here to defend Caesar (he can do that himself) and I wasn’t at the show BUT why can’t they sound good? They do many things extremely well and I definitely understand why so many people enjoy them.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
IMO, no, they are horrid. I know why some people like them but if those qualities are what you are after, I have heard waaaay better - that doesnt come with all the weird baggage.

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
I heard the MBL setup. I thought it was good; I didn't think it was great. There was a salesman in the room telling everyone it was great though. He talked too much. Play music--it sells audio equipment. I didn't hear the aforementioned pressing of Baba O'Reilly.

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMO, no, they are horrid. I know why some people like them but if those qualities are what you are after, I have heard waaaay better - that doesnt come with all the weird baggage.

Hi Folsom,

People have different tastes and preferences for audio gear. What else is new? The sun will still rise tomorrow and it will be the same.

When I visited, the room was packed and it sounded great. At other shows I have been to, the room is also usually packed. And it has been reviewed favorably by guys who have very divergent tastes, such as Fremer, Valin, and Breuninger. But with any representation of reality, some people will like and others won’t. I know some people I respect that do not get it and some people that really hate it. And there is no point arguing about taste.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Ceasar,

Great summary and picts, even though I do not agree with some of the sound assessments, but then that is why we have choices in this hobby. For the record, the ML Renaissance was their best hybrid to date with the best bass from ML, less Neolith, and would be a contender for me, but once I spent a lot of time in the VS/VAC room, the ML's sounded slow by comparison, but then we are talking very different price points.

Did you see the huge Avantgarde 3's? They sounded very good, but absurd size and probably even more absurd price.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hi,

Yes, definitely one of the best sounding rooms I heard at the show!!!

View attachment 40142

Scaena spekers always intrigued me. Can you write a bit more about the sound? Do you know what monoblocks are on the photo?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Ceasar,

Great summary and picts, even though I do not agree with some of the sound assessments, but then that is why we have choices in this hobby. For the record, the ML Renaissance was their best hybrid to date with the best bass from ML, less Neolith, and would be a contender for me, but once I spent a lot of time in the VS/VAC room, the ML's sounded slow by comparison, but then we are talking very different price points.

Did you see the huge Avantgarde 3's? They sounded very good, but absurd size and probably even more absurd price.

Yes, I got a picture of them in a post above. Very realistic sound: immediacy, dynamics, and slam!
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...18-Axpona-Pics&p=505594&viewfull=1#post505594

caesar

May 30, 2010
Scaena spekers always intrigued me. Can you write a bit more about the sound? Do you know what monoblocks are on the photo?

Very generally speaking, placed way, away from walls, as you can see in the pictures, the speakers seemed to completely disappear... room almost disappeared... Great sub integration with the speaker and the room. Speaker seemed seamless from the top, down to the subs.

Sonic signature is one of dynamic ease. There is an open and clear sound, like an electrostatic or an MBL. Heck, it's the sound of the Absolute Sound because Harry Pearson said so. :)

Not sure what the amps were, but I liked the tonal balance: not too lean and not too rich. Overall, sounded as good as I have ever heard it.

Obviously Mobiusman disagrees, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing