Sonus Faber Extrema

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
These speakers are 30 years old but are intriguing. Has anyone heard them? If so, how do they stand up in performance to today’s comparable speakers including large monitors? I have a pair of reference 3A Reflectors which I am really enjoying but recently acquired MasterSound PF100 monoblocks and Spettro preamp so these Extremas go along with the Italian theme. Would love to hear your insights and observations.
I remember hearing these speakers at a hifi show along time ago

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Target many years ago also made a four post metal stand which Sonus Faber also recommended for the Extremas

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Target many years ago also made a four post metal stand which Sonus Faber also recommended for the Extremas
It may pay the buyer (thread poster) to establish IF the original Extreme stands are indeed metal if he progresses to outsourcing the manufacture .

The SFGH's of the same vintage are a wood composite and not seemingly metal construction.

Micro or Blackie may wish to confirm the status of the material of such when they owned the Extremas.

BruceD

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
It may pay the buyer (thread poster) to establish IF the original Extreme stands are indeed metal if he progresses to outsourcing the manufacture .

The SFGH's of the same vintage are a wood composite and not seemingly metal construction.

Micro or Blackie may wish to confirm the status of the material of such when they owned the Extremas.

BruceD
From a WBF member who has the SF OEM stands for the Extremas:

“Basic dimensions:

The base plate is 11 1/4" wide by 16" deep, 1/2" thick steel plate with four corner holes for spikes. In my setup, the spikes raise the base plate 1 1/4" off the floor.

Six 3 1/8" x 3 1/8" pillars rise from the base plate (welded I'm sure). The pillars 20 3/4" tall and "united" by a welded, steel top plate (also looks to be 1/2" thick). This top surface is 8" wide and 12 1/8" deep.

I believe the pillars are sand filled and are incredibly heavy.

There is no provision to "attach" the Extremas to the stands. You basically place the speakers centered on the top plate (the Extremas have felt on bottom). The complete stability and inert quality of the stands, together with the substantial weight AND design of the 2" thick walnut of the speakers themselves, provides sufficient mass to allow the drivers to move air without creating resonances in the supports.”

From a February 2021 retrospective review Extremas in whathifI:

“Naturally, the performance of a standmounter depends strongly on the kind of support it gets, and Sonus Faber left nothing to chance by making its own dedicated 55cm-tall steel stands. Coated in textured black paint, they use no fewer than six chunky pillars filled with lead and sand. These stands are exceptionally heavy, immensely rigid and do their job brilliantly. Their price back in 1991 was commensurately substantial, at £799 ($1500).”

I bought the pair pictured and will report back upon receiving and listening to them!

Last edited:
Reactions: BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Excellent--so Steel they were/are-- appreciate the confirmation thank you RDS :)

Enjoy your speakers!

Bruce

Reactions: RDSChicago

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
I owned the Extremas for eight years, between 1992 and 2000 (I should never have sold them!).
In late 1991, thirty years ago, in one of the Stereophile issues, there was a picture of Franco Serblin with the Extremas perched on a Sonus Faber dedicated Extrema wooden speaker stand (which looked gorgeous). In 1992 in Italy (where I bought my Extremas), I asked about this wooden stand, and I was told that this was a prototype which was never put into production. Likely the 40 kg weight (each) of the Extremas militated against a wooden stand.
I initially used my Extremas on the Target R2 4 post metal stand (which did not look great, since the speaker looked much bigger than the stand), and then upgraded to the Sonus Faber 6 post metal stand (probably OEM, but I don't know who made these for Sonus Faber), which weighed (each) 60 kg! So 40 + 60 kg = 100 for each speaker!
I used Blu-Tak between the speaker and the stand.
1626841281338.png 1626841326861.png

1626841389853.png

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I owned the Extremas for eight years, between 1992 and 2000 (I should never have sold them!).
In late 1991, thirty years ago, in one of the Stereophile issues, there was a picture of Franco Serblin with the Extremas perched on a Sonus Faber dedicated Extrema wooden speaker stand (which looked gorgeous). In 1992 in Italy (where I bought my Extremas), I asked about this wooden stand, and I was told that this was a prototype which was never put into production. Likely the 40 kg weight (each) of the Extremas militated against a wooden stand.
I initially used my Extremas on the Target R2 4 post metal stand (which did not look great, since the speaker looked much bigger than the stand), and then upgraded to the Sonus Faber 6 post metal stand (probably OEM, but I don't know who made these for Sonus Faber), which weighed (each) 60 kg! So 40 + 60 kg = 100 for each speaker!
I used Blu-Tak between the speaker and the stand.
View attachment 80278 View attachment 80279

View attachment 80280
Beautiful! What amp is in the background of your Extrema? I thought it was a Gryphon Mephisto but then realized if you owned this in 2000, it could not be a Mephisto. Also, did you use Ultra 5s underneath the speaker and then Finite Elemente Cerpucs underneath the stand?

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Sorry, my Extremas were from thirty years ago, so I don't have any pictures of them. I posted the Extrema pictures from the internet. One owner, instead of using Blu-Tak as I did, seems to be using something more sophisticated between the speakers and the stands ....

The amplifier I was using at the time was the Norwegian Adyton Cordis 3B, pictured in the middle of my system in Tokyo 10 years ago. This amplifier was modified by Forsell (without attribution) and sold as the Forsell the Statement amplifier. How he got away with that I will never know ....

I did use with my Extremas some very interesting Fadel speaker cables (picture below), which used copper tubes in the mid section. Smoothest sounding speaker "cables" I ever used, but somewhat (surprisingly) lacking in dynamics.

Fadel was a great cable designer based in Paris, who (unfortunately) passed away many years ago.

1626859797875.png

1626859756906.png

Reactions: Jond and Andrew S.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...what a history. I remember reading about the legendary Forsell the Statement...had no idea where it came from though! Must have been fantastic...a beat of a Class A amplifier as I recall. Presume you sold that? You also had Accuphase monos...also Class A. I sense a theme here! And I agree with it!

Plus, if you took photos from the internet of the Extrema...then actually it might have been a Gryphon Mephisto in the background...also Class A!

I have heard the TAD Ref Ones and a full TAD reference setup with the monos in Pioneer Plaza in Tokyo with the then CEO of TAD who was a gentleman and clearly a passionate audiophile. Fantastic stuff. How long have you owned the TAD speakers and amp?

Reactions: Andrew S.

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Although this may ruin the narrative, the Adyton was Class A/B, and so was the Forsell (although I believe the Forsell was more heavily biased into Class A). Yes, the Accuphases you see in the picture were Class A, but the TAD M700s I now own are Class A/B, and the TADs kick the Accuphases' ass when it comes to driving the TAD CR1s (yes, I have compared the two with my speakers). I've owned my TAD CR1 TXs and M700s for about 9 months now, and my happiness keeps increasing every day I listen to my system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff! Yes, I thought the Forsell was heavily Class-A oriented from memory. Very interesting about the TAD monos vs Accuphase.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I owned the SF Extremas with the SF stands for about 10 years before selling them. I sold them because at the time, it was impossible to find an amp in their price range that could drive them satisfactorily. Most solid state monsters of the day like Krell and ML were not a musical match in my opinion (The Krell FPB 650Ms worked well but were above my pay grade at the time.) and the only tube amps that worked for me were the big $100k Jadis six chassis 1000lb JA800s, with (I would assume) the JA500s and 200s a close second and third. The Jadis Defy 7 I mated them with was ok driving them, but these speakers demand CURRENT or monster tube power!!
I was actually very fortunate to have heard the Fabers with the JA800s at one of Victor Goldstein's clients in NYC.
One of the best sounds ever in my experience.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Sorry to say, but my expectation is, like I did, you will begin a journey to try to find an amplifier that better matches the Extremas.
I have thoughts on this, but would prefer to take that discussion off line if you would like.

Kerry

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
Wow...what a history. I remember reading about the legendary Forsell the Statement...had no idea where it came from though! Must have been fantastic...a beat of a Class A amplifier as I recall. Presume you sold that? You also had Accuphase monos...also Class A. I sense a theme here! And I agree with it!

Plus, if you took photos from the internet of the Extrema...then actually it might have been a Gryphon Mephisto in the background...also Class A!

I have heard the TAD Ref Ones and a full TAD reference setup with the monos in Pioneer Plaza in Tokyo with the then CEO of TAD who was a gentleman and clearly a passionate audiophile. Fantastic stuff. How long have you owned the TAD speakers and amp?
Yes, it’s the stereo Mephisto which is a great match for the Extremas.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, it’s the stereo Mephisto which is a great match for the Extremas.
I bet it is! Fantastic. I have read in many places (including here) that the Extremas do not just thrive on power...they actually need it to do them justice. Would love to hear them driven by the Mephisto.

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
I bet it is! Fantastic. I have read in many places (including here) that the Extremas do not just thrive on power...they actually need it to do them justice. Would love to hear them driven by the Mephisto.
The Mephisto was eventually replaced by the Trinity mono amps which are an even better match. I’m sure Franco Serblin never had the opportunity to listen to the full potential of the Extremas.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Mephisto was eventually replaced by the Trinity mono amps which are an even better match. I’m sure Franco Serblin never had the opportunity to listen to the full potential of the Extremas.
Ah haaa! In investigating the Robert Koda K160s...I did look at the Trinity mono amps and start reading up on them. 200w in 4 ohms, very low distortion. Apparently beautiful by all accounts. Would love to hear. Have you heard them?

Last edited:

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
Ah haaa! In investigating the Robert Koda K160s...I did look at the Trinity mono amps and start reading up on them. 200w Class A! Apparently beautiful by all accounts. Would love to hear. Have you heard them?
Yes, the above system is mine. I had practically changed all the components except the Extremas which I had owned for 27 years! I love the Extremas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing