Sony WH1000XM2 MSRP $349.95

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Linearity is more complicated than most people would assume. Fletcher -Munson tells us that. It goes beyond flat frequency response.in this world of mix and match components you may get one that is rellatively flat, but others are not. Add to that source material aimed at the mass market you have no idea what you get.
Headphones remove the room from the equation but present their own set of problems.
Lastly there is personal preference. What does it for you? What clues contribute most to your illusion of teality?

Reactions: Alrainbow

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
You're right. People tend to simplify complex processes, to better understand the surrounding environment. As you are saying, despite the numerous aspects of sound, these are our personal preferences that matter the most.

All in all, the quality of sound is always the top priority, but it remains subjective which sound signature suits my mood in the moment. What about you?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The most important is do you listen. If you don't that tells you went wrong. It does not matter if it's huge,expensive,technically correct,critically acclaim and/or all your buddies have one.if you don't listen it's just audiophile jewlery or even worse its a boat anchor.
So first off it must be articulate. Not just the lyrics but also the musical instruments. I need to know what the singers are saying. For a long time I thought singers blurred their speech. It turns out it was my equipment. Same thing with instruments. Did you know that bass players breathe? They do and you can hear them. And the sound of guitar players dragging their fingers along the strings as they change chords.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I agree. The final quality of sound is most def determined by the equipment, but also let's not forget about the source and the recording process. They matter to a great extent as well.

One thing that many music lovers tend to forget is to focus on their personal preference. I realised that very often people new to the business blindly follow the advice of the experienced audiophiles or the reviewers, who may have a very particular taste. If one is choosing a pair of headphones o DAC or an amp, I would say, the best way to go about it is to learn from other people, but choose whatever products suits your preferences the most.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Audio equipment is like exercise equipment. The best one is you will use. The rest is a clothes hanger

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I agree with you to some extent! Personally, I like having some variety from time to time... :) But you're right, the favorites will always get the most playtime. I'm guilty of this myself!

Reactions: Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing