Soon to come, hORNS Universum mk4!

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel

After a year and a half of many ups and downs in my life, which in the process i moved to a new home...
i was thinking to get myself a new Audiophile experience\episode. something id never thought i could, not in a very long time before i moved out.

at my old house i was listening and build my System for along time in a very small room. always looked for sealed box or down/front firing port speakers to worked (more or less) in my listening room.
always dreamt about a large living room which i could put my trusty equipment and speakers, surround myself with LPs walls. and enjoying music at the fullest.
The most important point of my dream was, to get speakers that will be the center of the room without thinking about ports\sizes or WAF.... (not I've dealt with that in my room though).

Now when i have the living room at my new house to get "crazy" (my new wife is an amazing person, that share my love to music and audio... ) i decided to get deep in to an adventure...with her blessing.
after contemplate about several speakers that meet my budget... we both "landed" on the Universum mkIV. :cool:

with the help of Christoph and Bonzo75 , to say their name for their BIG HELP (thanks again guys!!! :eek:) among others iv'e talked to, in the last few weeks.
and with local hORNS dealer that sadly could't demo it for us (he don't have it, but some other speakers of their line) but did everything he can to get us answers, contact us with PPL around the world, and with designer and owner of hORNS himself on the phone... we finally decided to order a pair for us (no pun intended). i myself heard the Universum a couple of times years ago, at the Munich and Warsaw shows they exhibits. always drown to their presence... i wrote to myself the first time i listen to them in 2012, they were the most delicate sounding horns i ever heard, their looks are a matter of taste like any horns out there, and i LOVE It,
i just hope they will perform and will give that extra dynamic and LIVE feeling v.s my Magico Q3.
btw i probably will keep the Q3 for now.

its been a week since we ordered it, it took us 3 days to decide about the paint job we wanted, but finally it was done.
now, we have to wait about 5-6 weeks to deliver... and i started about thinking - S.E.T amps - to complete the Magic ;)
another "episode" i assume will be in the Horizon when they will landed in our LR..

glad to share my excitement with you good folks, always felt that WBF is home (although i write as little as possible not showing my lack of expression abilities in english :oops:)

more to come when we get them in house, i will appreciate any help or comments regarding.

Aviad. horns-universum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great stuff, Aviad. From Magico to horns, you and audioquattr are the poster children of WBF's future. Peter will join soon

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you're channeling yr inner Margaret Attwood.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm expecting a roll out of posters featuring Ked in various WW2/Covid mash ups
"Your hobby needs you"
And Soviet-style propaganda
"Fidelity through security"
"Family or neighbours using Magico? Call this number..."
"Horns and triodes for a healthy and wealthy life".

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Great stuff, Aviad. From Magico to horns, you and audioquattr are the poster children of WBF's future. Peter will join soon
I thought you were suspended for a month.

Reactions: Folsom

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I suggest 2 months,so we can stop to listen for 2 months Horns and Lampi

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Aviad, the delicate sound you mention is due to the Radian drivers with beryllium diaphragms. Keep in mind two things: these drivers are the most transparent and detailed, so the source matters a lot. And the source need not be expensive, just well set up, else they can sound harsh.

I love the autotech horns but coating with Nextel paint, as recommended by Leif who uses it with his autotech - tad 4003, will make the sound moor natural and less plastic sounding (plastic timbre is something that afflicts non-wooden horns). That is tweak you can use later

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi Aviad, the delicate sound you mention is due to the Radian drivers with beryllium diaphragms. Keep in mind two things: these drivers are the most transparent and detailed, so the source matters a lot. And the source need not be expensive, just well set up, else they can sound harsh.

thanks ked.

i dont think both mid and highs were beryllium at 2012, but maybe so, nevertheless, it was awesome since then till the last tine i heard it at Warsaw show, it kept being better, now for the mk4 model with separate volume on each driver, impedance correction and other tweaks, i imagine that the ability to tailor it fit to my room will be great.

regarding the sources, i can sleep tight...:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Radian driver is available in aluminium and beryllium diaphragms. The latter is more expensive. Don't know what he had in 2012 but in 2016 he had gone beryllium

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
The Radian driver is available in aluminium and beryllium diaphragms. The latter is more expensive. Don't know what he had in 2012 but in 2016 he had gone beryllium
i think this is the first time at 2016 he (lukazs) gone all BE. i think in 2012 only the high were.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What colour did you decide on after three days of deliberation? Just gotta know.:)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

After a year and a half of many ups and downs in my life, which in the process i moved to a new home...
i was thinking to get myself a new Audiophile experience\episode. something id never thought i could, not in a very long time before i moved out.

at my old house i was listening and build my System for along time in a very small room. always looked for sealed box or down/front firing port speakers to worked (more or less) in my listening room.
always dreamt about a large living room which i could put my trusty equipment and speakers, surround myself with LPs walls. and enjoying music at the fullest.
The most important point of my dream was, to get speakers that will be the center of the room without thinking about ports\sizes or WAF.... (not I've dealt with that in my room though).

Now when i have the living room at my new house to get "crazy" (my new wife is an amazing person, that share my love to music and audio... ) i decided to get deep in to an adventure...with her blessing.
after contemplate about several speakers that meet my budget... we both "landed" on the Universum mkIV. :cool:

with the help of Christoph and Bonzo75 , to say their name for their BIG HELP (thanks again guys!!! :eek:) among others iv'e talked to, in the last few weeks.
and with local hORNS dealer that sadly could't demo it for us (he don't have it, but some other speakers of their line) but did everything he can to get us answers, contact us with PPL around the world, and with designer and owner of hORNS himself on the phone... we finally decided to order a pair for us (no pun intended). i myself heard the Universum a couple of times years ago, at the Munich and Warsaw shows they exhibits. always drown to their presence... i wrote to myself the first time i listen to them in 2012, they were the most delicate sounding horns i ever heard, their looks are a matter of taste like any horns out there, and i LOVE It,
i just hope they will perform and will give that extra dynamic and LIVE feeling v.s my Magico Q3.
btw i probably will keep the Q3 for now.

its been a week since we ordered it, it took us 3 days to decide about the paint job we wanted, but finally it was done.
now, we have to wait about 5-6 weeks to deliver... and i started about thinking - S.E.T amps - to complete the Magic ;)
another "episode" i assume will be in the Horizon when they will landed in our LR..

glad to share my excitement with you good folks, always felt that WBF is home (although i write as little as possible not showing my lack of expression abilities in english :oops:)

more to come when we get them in house, i will appreciate any help or comments regarding.

Aviad.
Congrats :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
What colour did you decide on after three days of deliberation? Just gotta know.:)

as much as i thought i wanted some "crazy" paint on maybe some of the parts of the speaker, we decided it's already big (relativity to what we used to) and "artistic" looking by itself. that any reds or orange or greens can be a tad apposing in our living room to live with them for a long time.
so we went for some black and whites scheme, we both LOVE the one over Christoph so we investigate what we can achieved in that direction.
Lukasz was told us that along with the RAL colors we can order the speaker also looking into Audi\Lamborghini colors as well.
so we did.
the front of the speaker in general will be
Banana horn , front mid horn , front high horn and cross over :
"Lamborghini white baloon".

and
Ring at banana top + back of mid and high horns :
AUDI Z9Z Panther black cristal effect.

hoping our decision will generate a classy looking beautiful speaker to our LR

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
as much as i thought i wanted some "crazy" paint on maybe some of the parts of the speaker, we decided it's already big (relativity to what we used to) and "artistic" looking by itself. that any reds or orange or greens can be a tad apposing in our living room to live with them for a long time.
so we went for some black and whites scheme, we both LOVE the one over Christoph so we investigate what we can achieved in that direction.
Lukasz was told us that along with the RAL colors we can order the speaker also looking into Audi\Lamborghini colors as well.
so we did.
the front of the speaker in general will be
Banana horn , front mid horn , front high horn and cross over :
"Lamborghini white baloon".

and
Ring at banana top + back of mid and high horns :
AUDI Z9Z Panther black cristal effect.

hoping our decision will generate a classy looking beautiful speaker to our LR

I'm sure it will look awesome: classy and timeless :cool:

I myself wanted to go crazy on my pair with a color scheme I called Fruit Salad:
Orange matte structured Midhorn, Cherry Red high gloss Treblehorn and Banana Yello Bass "Horn" with accents like the Banana on the Velvet Underground cover :eek:
THE-VELVET-UNDERGROUND-NICO-2.jpg
That would have been real Pop Art in every sense of the meaning and would certainly look awesome in a huge white room like in a museum :cool:

But evidently I chickened out and chose the timeless triple white :p

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Colour choice is often the biggest decision! I'm about to order Avantgarde Duo XD speakers, but what colour horns should I go for? My existing old Duos are pearl white horns with matt black subs. I'm inclined to go for the same colours as it will suit any house decorations scheme and have best resale price. Trouble is, after spending so much dosh, it'd be nice to see the difference as well as hear it!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your hORNS when they arrive

Reactions: byrdparis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing