Spectral DMA-200 advice

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
My friend has the old DMA-200, running with DMC 20 and Quad 2912 speakers, and they sound exquisite. He never had DMA-200 recapped. Since it must be about 30 years old, isn't it a time to recap the electrolytic caps? How much does Spectral charge for recapping and other "refurbishment?" Also he only uses MIT Cables. Can one benefit from the megahertz capability of DMA-200 with a "regular" high end preamp? I was thinking he could add some warmness with a tube preamp. What do you think?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My friend has the old DMA-200, running with DMC 20 and Quad 2912 speakers, and they sound exquisite. He never had DMA-200 recapped. Since it must be about 30 years old, isn't it a time to recap the electrolytic caps? How much does Spectral charge for recapping and other "refurbishment?" Also he only uses MIT Cables. Can one benefit from the megahertz capability of DMA-200 with a "regular" high end preamp? I was thinking he could add some warmness with a tube preamp. What do you think?
After 30 years a recap would most likely be needed.it’s a great amp that I have heard many years ago.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I was very satisfied with an Audio Research SP 3 into my Spectral amps.

I run a pair of Spectral DMA 80M into my double Quad 57 speakers in my main system. I use MasterBuilt speaker cables.

In my bedroom system, I use a Spectral DMA 100S into Endeavor E3 Mk II speakers. I also use MasterBuilt speaker cables.

I have no experience recapping Spectral amplifiers.

Experimenting with power cords into Spectral amps have also given me rewarding results. Among the power cords that I like for Spectral amps are MIT AC2, Sensory Power and MasterBuilt.

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
I was very satisfied with an Audio Research SP 3 into my Spectral amps.

I run a pair of Spectral DMA 80M into my double Quad 57 speakers in my main system. I use MasterBuilt speaker cables.

In my bedroom system, I use a Spectral DMA 100S into Endeavor E3 Mk II speakers. I also use MasterBuilt speaker cables.

I have no experience recapping Spectral amplifiers.

Experimenting with power cords into Spectral amps have also given me rewarding results. Among the power cords that I like for Spectral amps are MIT AC2, Sensory Power and MasterBuilt.
So, even without the megahertz preamps, are you still seeing the high resolution in the DMAs?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
In my experience, you don't need the megahertz preamp for resolution. Once you install premium tubes into the Audio Research SP-3, you might just shock yourelf at how resolving it is. Also, in my experience MasterBuilt cables and center stage footers will help in achieving higher resolution.

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
In my experience, you don't need the megahertz preamp for resolution. Once you install premium tubes into the Audio Research SP-3, you might just shock yourelf at how resolving it is. Also, in my experience MasterBuilt cables and center stage footers will help in achieving higher resolution.
SP-3? They are ancient. Have you compared them to Spectral preamps for your DMAs? Did you get them refurbished?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Yes. The Audio Research SP 3 is between 45 to 50 years old by now. It is the only Audio Reaearch pre amp that I kept. To my ears, they are magical when premium after market tubes are installed. As for Spectral preamps and line stages, I do have a few. Since you were asking if a regular preamp will add some warmness, it sure can. If you want to stay Spectral all the way, you can use two Spectral preamps or line stages connected in series. You will not ony add warmth but will also increase the resolutiion.

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
When you say
Yes. The Audio Research SP 3 is between 45 to 50 years old by now. It is the only Audio Reaearch pre amp that I kept. To my ears, they are magical when premium after market tubes are installed. As for Spectral preamps and line stages, I do have a few. Since you were asking if a regular preamp will add some warmness, it sure can. If you want to stay Spectral all the way, you can use two Spectral preamps or line stages connected in series. You will not ony add warmth but will also increase the resolutiion.
When you say "Yes", did you mean you had it refurbished? Do you think SP 3 is better than the current ARC Pres?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have to clarify. I have two Audio Research SP 3 preamps. One is in its original form but with premium tubes. The other one has been updated by Audio Research. I stopped lsitening to new Audio Research products after the early reference editions. I have no idea how the SP 3 will compare against the current ARC products.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing