Spectral dma 260 hum

Bobalob

Mar 25, 2011
This hum issue is dragging on a bit.It seems the domestic amp at 120v works fine in the USA. I presume Spectral have tried using a step down voltage converter from 240v-120v for the European market. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Yes it is going on. What is hard to discern is exactly how wide spread the issue is. I recently met Rick Fryer and we discussed the problem. He seems to say that the problem is unique to the UK and yet I am, according to him, the only 260 user in the UK. He also said they were working on a solution and as I admire the company I assume they will be good to their word. As things stand it is a pain but not a disaster - though it isn't acceptable for the value of the equipment and as I understand it Spectral are aware of this.

I would be interested to hear where other 260 users have a hum.

Thanks.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
A friend of mine has the same problem and we live in the Netherlands.

Yes it is going on. What is hard to discern is exactly how wide spread the issue is. I recently met Rick Fryer and we discussed the problem. He seems to say that the problem is unique to the UK and yet I am, according to him, the only 260 user in the UK. He also said they were working on a solution and as I admire the company I assume they will be good to their word. As things stand it is a pain but not a disaster - though it isn't acceptable for the value of the equipment and as I understand it Spectral are aware of this.

I would be interested to hear where other 260 users have a hum.

Thanks.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
I realise that I never came back to the hum. The news is not good. After more than two years Spectral have done nothing constructive for me. The dealer keeps saying he will do something but never actually does.

I met Rick Fryer of Spectral some months ago and spoke with him about the product. He was more veiled than Fu Manchu saying that he knew all about the problem... but the rest has been silence. Well sadly not - the hum persists.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I realise that I never came back to the hum. The news is not good. After more than two years Spectral have done nothing constructive for me. The dealer keeps saying he will do something but never actually does.

I met Rick Fryer of Spectral some months ago and spoke with him about the product. He was more veiled than Fu Manchu saying that he knew all about the problem... but the rest has been silence. Well sadly not - the hum persists.

This problem still excist over here!
I also noticed that the hum/buzz increase with a higher AC voltage.
It seems that the transformer has some problems with our 50 Hz main frequency.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

I have been using Spectral for years. Love all the things they are well-known for. But lets not beat around the bush: if a company does not take its customers seriously, it fails in the ethics department and should be ashamed of itself!

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
I now advise friends NOT to buy Spectral despite the stunning sound quality. Quite probably my one man embargo makes no difference to them but it is the only thing I can think to do.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I now advise friends NOT to buy Spectral despite the stunning sound quality. Quite probably my one man embargo makes no difference to them but it is the only thing I can think to do.

I don't totally agree in that.
The Spectral sound is unique (but you must realize that there may be a hum/buzz.)

What i hear is that not all Spectral amplifiers do hum/buzz.
Only the 230 VAc 50Hz types.
Is the transformer is designed for the 60 Hz region.
My dealer also contacted Spectral but no reaction/solution.
But Spectral should react on this item!:confused:

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Where did you get your DMA-260? What is the voltage stated on the unit? I'll bet it's 220V. We have sold more than 20 DMA-260's. When used properly there in no hum as you describe coming from the transformer. I would suggest checking with the dealer that sold you the amp. Perhaps he didn't know were you live.

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
We are one of the largest Spectral dealers in the world. I can assure use when properly set up there IS NO HUM problem. As for the gentleman suggesting not to buy Spectral, I believe that he shouldn't. Really one of the most ridiculous remarks I have ever heard.

Terry Menacker, Overture Audio

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
We are one of the largest Spectral dealers in the world. I can assure use when properly set up there IS NO HUM problem. As for the gentleman suggesting not to buy Spectral, I believe that he shouldn't. Really one of the most ridiculous remarks I have ever heard.

Terry Menacker, Overture Audio

What do you mean by "proper set up"?. Bought at a Spectral dealer, not second hand. Used in a MIT Spectral set up. Properly installed...and then there is a HUM. Yes it may be 220V but if Spectral is unable to manufacture a unit for their 220V clients they should say so. Talk about a ridiculous remark. Don't blame the users! They love Spectral for their sound, but can do without a annoying HUM:mad:

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Terry

Thank you for your helpful comment. The amp was bought in Europe (there was no one distributing in the UK where I live). The amp is marked 220volts, UK power is 230-240volts. I have spoken with Rick Fryer, and my dealer, and we all agree that the slight difference in voltage cycle is creating the problem. My frustration comes from Spectral's extremely slow response . This is a product that was sold legitimately, set up professionally, but does not function properly in the field. I am far from alone with the problem in Europe. Further, my comments are driven by frustration at Spectral's failure to communicate at all with me. I went to meet Rick Fryer, I have called the factory and so on.

I am therefore now planning to move away from the brand. This is a brand that I have loved for ten years and moved through many of their products. I think my frustration is warranted and my caution to others not unjustified.

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Unlike other manufacturers Spectral designs a specific laminated transformer for each voltage. They allow for maximum no compromise performance. They can't be used with other votages and cannot be changed.

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Hi,

You have explained the reason why you are having a hum problem. You are using a 220V model at 230/240V. Spectral custom designs laminated transformers (the finest available, and far costlier than toroidal transformers). Spectral wants all customers to work with their dealer. As a 20 years Spectral dealer we agree with that approach. And I must also say I know of no company who backs their products better than Spectral. Once again, they do want you to go through your dealer. I have never had to make more than one phone call to get the answer on how to solve a problem in 20 years! Had the amp been available in your country with the correct transformer you would not be having a problem.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is something fundamentally wrong here and I don't know on whose side. All EU voltage is currently a nominal 230V if I recall correctly. That would imply these amps don't work in Europe? But also, what does "slight difference in voltage cycle" mean? The "voltage cycle" is not the extra 10V nominal, and you probably mean the frequency. But if the amp is marked 220V/50Hz and the UK is on a 50Hz cycle, then there should be no problem with 230V/50Hz? Yes there can be buzzing if you overdrive a transformer, but by 10V only??? The "conclusion" doesn't make sense to me, neither does Spectral's response to the problem. Can you get a hold of a variac and bring the voltage down to 220 just to see if the buzzing goes away?

PS: I can't see how you can be blamed for not having a properly working amplifier, properly sold to you by a dealer, which then leads you to no longer recommend a product line based on a prolonged, unsatisfactory factory response. Anyone would be equally frustrated.

Perhaps Terry can help by getting an official statement from Spectral.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The problem can be due to cumulative effect of three contributions a) the 50Hz frequency - magnetic flux is inversely proportional to frequency b) high voltage mains that also increases flux and the local mains distortion. IMHO, you should try to operate your unit with a re-generator, such as the old PSAudio units, to establish a diagnostic.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Thank you all again. What is striking is the dedicated defence of Spectral. The product I have WAS sold in the UK so the fault is not with the dealer but the product. I have used an Accuphase Clean Power Supply to no particular avail. I don't know where I might find a variac. I love music, not plugging in hi-fi.

In answer to Ack there is a problem with some 260's in Europe.

Anyway with very heavy heart and some loss of money, I'm sure, I'm selling my wonderful sounding 260 and 30SS series 2 if anyone serious is interested.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
In answer to Ack there is a problem with some 260's in Europe.

If we were to take your words verbatim, one could conclude there is a problem with some transformers then, in which case the warranty repair cost would be very high, and there would appear to be unwillingness by the factory to fix it. On the other hand, why don't we start being very explicit? Like which dealer sold the unit to you in the UK and are they really authorized to sell in the UK; you see, the factory may be unwilling to do anything if there are issues with whom sold what where.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Take my words as verbatim. I bought the amplifier, indeed all my equipment, from a dealer in the Netherlands. We are in the EU. He is fully authorised. I am startled by how many comments here imply the problem is somehow of my making.

Thanks for your help.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing