SR HFT + FEQ ... Voodoo or ???

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I find it amusing that some will make disparaging comments while holding the FEQ/HFT to a different standard. First of all, the video was intended to show placement options, not to evaluate the product via low-rez audio in a YouTube video.

More importantly, acoustic treatment companies provide minimal specs for their products. Although ASC doesn't publish any specs for its Tube Traps, it's widely considered to be effective at reducing bass mode and improving diffusion. I still use several Tube Traps because they improve the sound. Some acoustic companies like RPG publish absorption coefficient data, but nothing about in-room response (probably because there are no "typical" rooms). How we assess these products without hearing them at home?

Since there are JL Audio owners on this thread, why doesn't it provide specs on the ARO (Automatic Room Optimization) system? I think that it's effective (because I've owned a pair of Fathom 110s), but JL Audio doesn't provide any measurements on the ARO system.

How about McIntosh? The 275 has similar published specs to the NAD M2 amp, but does it sound different or better? My friend has tried different KT88s on the 275 (with audible improvements), but I don't think he relies on published specs to choose his tubes. I can't find or rely on published specs when I search for 6SN7 tubes. Does that make tube rolling voodoo or DOODOO?

I don't want to pick on McIntosh because many hi-end brands don't publish detailed specs. Is there any measurable difference between the Pass .5 to .8 series? How about from Pass XA to the XS series? I'm sure that the XS preamp and XP-30 will sound better than my XP-20, but I can't make that determination from the published specs. Should I call the Pass XS amp snake oil or voodoo before I hear it?

How about vinyl? Are there any measurements to show the difference between a peripheral ring over a vacuum platter? I love my Tri-Planar Mk VII arm, but I don't think it measures better than my old VPI 10.5. Since most CD players measure better than vinyl, is the latter voodoo? I don't think so.

It should be noted that Synergistic is the only company on this list that offers a 30-day money back guarantee. I also haven't heard a negative comment from someone who's actually heard the FEQ/HFT in a proper setup. It may not work for everyone or setups, but how many products do? Measurements are useful but so are our ears.

They did a sonic demonstration. They kept stating "how you can hear the improvements". You don't need specs for that. Their demo was a failure. This was another case of The Emperor's New Clothes.

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
http://www.tubetrap.com/tubetrap-technical.htm ASC does publish measurement data on their products, you just have to go to their site and dig around, if you need anything additional, I'm sure they will be glad to show you measurements on a particular product if it's needed. If you are an acoustic engineer designing a room and use a particular brand of product, they'll certainly help you with measurement data on their products to pick which has the proper absorption, etc. But to the average person, it's usually above most people's heads, so they typically will discuss this with acoustic engineers that understand this information. All you have to do is request the information and I'm sure they'll provide it for you, but they probably want to talk to intelligent people that would better understand their products.

As I stated in my post, acoustic treatment publish minimal info like absorption coefficient. However, ASC can only offer general guidelines re the placement and number of Tube Traps for a specific room. Even after taking basic SPL measurements, it's up to the owner to assess the setup with a wide range of music. This is what I did with my set of Tube Traps and the FEQ/HFT. Should I expect ASC to provide measurement for the orientation of the Tube Traps (diffusive or non-diffusive side)?

Just so it's clear, I'm happy with the Tube Traps and will continue to use them. However, the FEQ/HFT are an inexpensive and effective upgrade. If you're fortunate to have a great sounding room, you won't need them.

Thanks for being civil.

Disclaimers: your mileage may vary, this is not the best thing since sliced bread, audition before you buy, be skeptical but open-minded, don't use YouTube for critical evaluation, etc, etc.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Tube Traps, Real Traps, diffusers, heavy drapery and the like are genuine accessories that produce real results because they are actually big enough to interact with the sound waves and the room.

A handful of little marbles and acorns stuck on a wall don't do anything.

Other companies have had similar "accessories" (I'm being kind using that term) that are also bunk.

Aoyama

Jun 3, 2013
Brazil
Well, what can i say...

My local dealer, contact me and send me the HFT and FEQ, to give a try.

First tried like in the video, only the HFTs, on walls, loudspeakers and my equipments, and can confirm that makes some substancial changes good and bad results in my listen room, a dedicated listen room with helmontz resonators, diffusers and absorbers.

On walls, looks the sound stage got more deeper but with less layers.
On loudspeakers the same with a increase of focus and less body.
On equipments nothing happens.

Tried too the FEQ, this look like the Schumman Ressonator, i have the SR resonator from Kemp electronics, and the sound got more like 3D, focus and detail, probably cause the decrease of background noise, but in my listen room the FEQ makes the sound too thin, no body. Tested boths and alone and prefer the SR from Kemp cause it has a potentiometer to increase or decrease the effect.

[]s

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I must state that I feel like a fool for even trying this, but I streamed this presentation through my HT rig via my Oppo 95 and listened intently. I heard no difference at all either to the Ann Bisson track, (I have the CD myself so I am familiar with it), or to the sound of the voice of the SR presenter. None, nada, nunca, no difference. I frankly didn't expect to hear any. Who knows, perhaps you had to be there! I did find it interesting after stage 1 that I didn't exactly hear a ringing endorsement from the guys when they were asked if they heard a difference. Perhaps all the glowing endorsements were edited out for the sake of time restraints. Of course at the end, the guy from The Cable Company claimed that it was a significant improvement. I have been in rooms that have had dots like these all over the place and it made no sense to me. The rooms often sounded terrible with the dots. Perhaps this stuff works, I haven't experienced this particular system. But, it sounds like the Tice clock to me. Remember how so may people were impressed with the improvement the Tice clock made in their rooms? Enough said.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My timing has never been good, but my son going to college at the same time that i'll be retiring....I gotta invent an audio tweak.

Do get a full set for $995 or are they $995 each?

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) More importantly, acoustic treatment companies provide minimal specs for their products. Although ASC doesn't publish any specs for its Tube Traps, it's widely considered to be effective at reducing bass mode and improving diffusion. I still use several Tube Traps because they improve the sound. Some acoustic companies like RPG publish absorption coefficient data, but nothing about in-room response (probably because there are no "typical" rooms). How we assess these products without hearing them at home? (...)

It should be noted that Synergistic is the only company on this list that offers a 30-day money back guarantee. I also haven't heard a negative comment from someone who's actually heard the FEQ/HFT in a proper setup. It may not work for everyone or setups, but how many products do? Measurements are useful but so are our ears.

Welcome to WBF, mtseymour.

Wise words about the specifications of acoustic treatments - F. Toole writes similar generic words in his book Sound Reproduction. And the few existing good coefficients exceed the competence of the typical acoustic engineer that visits you. They are only useful to carry complete and extensive simulations, something that exceeds the typical budget of audiophiles. Most of the time the acoustical engineers will use these materials considering their experience with them and information they collected from other experts - it is why it is wise to select someone with large experience and a good record of success. Otherwise, as you say, get a good money back garantee.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The only reason they offer a money back guarantee is because they know people will be too lazy or too insecure in what they hear (or nonexistent changes that they obviously don't hear) to return these things.

It's a scam and a fraud and they know it.

cpreal

Apr 5, 2013
I went to a demo over the weekend, led by an SR employee. They had the works, there: bases, active shielded cables, ART, HFT, FEQ, all of it. They were using a Rogue integrated amp, Mac Mini, a dac unknown to me, and a pair of Magico Q3 or Q5 (can't remember which). The main focus of the demo was XOT, that plugs into the speaker terminals.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a difference that all of these devices make in the sound of the system. In fact, the SR rep said that they will only market a product that makes an obvious change in the sound. Here is what I believe is the catch though: the change in the sound may or may not be an improvement to you, and if it is, it may not be worth the money, or it may be unpredictable. These tweaks are system and room dependent. Different does not necessarily mean better. During the demo, the SR rep never told us what to hear, but there is no doubt the sound changed dramatically when he removed the XOT from the speakers.

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
The only reason they offer a money back guarantee is because they know people will be too lazy or too insecure in what they hear (or nonexistent changes that they obviously don't hear) to return these things.

It's a scam and a fraud and they know it.

I notice that GaryProtein owns McIntosh, Pass, Infinity, Thorens, and JL Audio gear. To my knowledge, none of these fine brands offer a 30-day money back guarantee. So which brand has more confidence about their products? Should Synergistic Research be disparaged for standing behind their products? Isn't this capitalism at its finest?

You must have a low opinion of audiophiles to call them "lazy" or "insecure". On the contrary, most audiophiles are passionate about music and fine equipment and will even spend considerable time on forums exchanging info and ideas. Unfortunately, there are a few extremely opinionated individuals who will criticize something even without even bothering to hear it for FREE! Who's really lazy or insecure?

I agree with Cpreal that different doesn't necessarily mean better. I really like the Synergistic gear but it's entirely fine if someone has a different opinion. The same goes for my Pass gear. Listen and make up your own mind.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I notice that GaryProtein owns McIntosh, Pass, Infinity, Thorens, and JL Audio gear. To my knowledge, none of these fine brands offer a 30-day money back guarantee. So which brand has more confidence about their products? Should Synergistic Research be disparaged for standing behind their products? Isn't this capitalism at its finest?

You must have a low opinion of audiophiles to call them "lazy" or "insecure". . . .

YES, I have a VERY low opinion of many "audiophiles"

I have a high opinion of people who I know can really hear a difference that is really there.

Like I said, the money back guarantee is only offered because the company in question knows many audiophiles are lazy and insecure and won't bother to return the goods for a refund.

mtsyemour, you really seem to be either a shill for this company's products or a member of the company. Other than a couple of posts before you got involved with this crap, most likely to plant you here before supporting this company and make you seem a genuine disinterested third party member, you haven't posited on anything other topic. I can only skeptically wonder why.

The product is still a piece of crap.

Last edited:

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
YES, I have a VERY low opinion of many "audiophiles"

I have a high opinion of people who I know can really hear a difference that is really there.

Like I said, the money back guarantee is only offered because the company in question knows most audiophiles are lazy and insecure and won't bother to return the goods for a refund.

mtsyemour, you really seem to be either a shill for this company's products or a member of the company. Other than a couple of posts before you got involved with this crap, most likely to plant you here before supporting this company and make you seem a genuine disinterested third party member, you haven't posited on anything other topic. I can only skeptically wonder why.

Does it make you feel good to crap on people you don't know and a product you've never heard?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have been a member here for a year and a half and have never downplayed any product discussed here until this one.

This product is a fraud. If you like it, go ahead and buy it.

I call 'em as I see 'em and I'm not drinking any Kool-Aid.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
While it's ok to question the effectiveness of any product, it is against the Terms of Service for the forum to attack other members personally. Let's keep that in mind as we move forward.

Lee

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
While it's ok to question the effectiveness of any product, it is against the Terms of Service for the forum to attack other members personally. Let's keep that in mind as we move forward.

Lee

I don't know mtseymour, but GaryProtein clearly called him "a shill for this company's products or a member of the company."

And he continues to crap on SR and its products.

IMO, all of GaryProtein's posts in this thread which aren't based on any facts or personal listening experience should be deleted.

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Gee, why would the high-end be in trouble with all these fun and positive audiophiles? I can see why GaryProtein is irritated because facts just get in the way of a good rant.

Just for the record, I'm not affiliated with Synergistic. However, I would be glad to be sponsored by Audio Research, Pass, Wilson, or any high-end brand. If you can offer cash or extended equipment loans, please PM me :)

Until then, I will continue to only comment on components that I own or have heard at a well-designed demo. Since I have a busy work schedule, I don't post just to hear myself talk. I prefer to use my limited free time to hear my system and my backlog of new music. Frankly, other members do a better job of covering interesting products or techniques. Why would I start a thread on DACs or mastering when Bruce B is online? Similarly, Frank750 and Rockitman have done a good job on the Pass XS series.

So I'm more interested in learning from other members and will share a little insight when I can.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know mtseymour, but GaryProtein clearly called him "a shill for this company's products or a member of the company."

And he continues to crap on SR and its products.

IMO, all of GaryProtein's posts in this thread which aren't based on any facts or personal listening experience should be deleted.

I place little quantum resonators on all of Gary's posts. They sound far less harsh now

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing