State-of-the-Art Digital

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I think MSB Select II is the state of the art after auditioning more than 10 high end Dacs.

For value to price, Chord Dave and Mscaler will be good if your speaker or amplifier is not on the analytic side.

I had been happy with it after using 9 months with right choice of digital cables.

If you like full bodied sound out of analytical system, then Pacific could be good choice with option of tube rolling.

If you listen to streamed music, then server will be also important but if you play out of CD transport or ripped music, then it could play less role.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Ron, why are you concerned with which is the most technically advanced and not what one will suite your preferences?

Because I believe that with digital “technically advanced” is highly correlated with more analog-like sound quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: EuroDriver

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Because I believe that with digital technically advanced is highly correlated with more analog-like sound quality.

http://glv.co.kr/data/editor/201810/15395687063080.png
(This the same room with slightly different setup)

On Dec 6th, 2018 I had attended Launching event of YG Acoustics Hailey 1.2 speakers in Seoul, Korea.

MSB Select II Dac and Pre was connected to Viola Legacy Mono Amplifier to drive the speakers.

Nordost Valhalla cables were used.

The system gave wide and deep soundstage with tight and tuneful bass.

There is no doubt it was top notch system in every way with the total cost of component over 200K $.

http://glv.co.kr/products/MSB/images/top_image_06.jpg

http://www.kronosaudio.com/images/kronos pro big-crop-u963_2x.jpg?crc=3796245212

At the end of show, we decided to do interesting comparison between MSB Select Dac II (85K$) and vinyl system using Kronus turntable.

Kronus turntable was fed to Octave phono amp and Viola Pre amp,

MSB Select was used as Pre and Dac.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51hvAKhEyIL.jpg
We selected above Vinyl and 24/96 network media.

I got surprised to find that MSB and Kronus gave very similar sound.

MSB Select provided slightly more dense sound with little bit more details.

Kronus gave slightly more relaxed sound.

If I had to choose one, I would take Kronus over MSB on this music since I like relaxed sound as I get older.

But it could change with different music.

Unfortunately we could test only one music.

Other people may have different opinion.

Despite this conclusion, MSB Select II gave one of the best sound from any DAC that I had ever heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Because I believe that with digital technically advanced is highly correlated with more analog-like sound quality.

I still have to read about your digital research somewhere

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Same on the Lampizator not being state of the art. It's state of the manipulation. Everyone knows it's all about curtailing a sound, it doesn't have any new tech in it what so ever. You buy it because you like the different type of sound.

MSB pushes pretty good on trying to be at the cutting edge.

But overall I'm not satisfied with any existing DAC yet.

Maybe the question isn't the right one? If you want a DAC, Ron, why are you concerned with which is the most technically advanced and not what one will suite your preferences?

And you have heard it when? Or is this your straw man tubes vs SS comments?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I still have to read about your digital research somewhere

Here you go . . .

I liked (for digital) SGM Extreme + MSB Select II at MikeL.

I liked (for digital) SGM Extreme + Lampizator Pacific at Audioquattr.

I liked (for digital) Innuous + MSB Premier at KeithR and at Alma Music and Audio.

Before I heard the above I thought SpiritofMusic’s EDP CD player sounded okay to good.

Reactions: MJB

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My cdp "okay to good"? High praise indeed.

Reactions: joeinid

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Ron,

I think a DAC that's missing off your SOTA list is the TotalDAC DAC D1 12 Mk 2

The SNR is off (below) the chart, and in a highly resolving system you can hear what it brings to the sound presentation. The downside is that it is a lot of boxes

IMHO the TotalDAC D1 Driver is a component to audition between every high end DAC and the downstream electronics, it can bring a lot to the total system SQ / jump factor

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And you have heard it when? Or is this your straw man tubes vs SS comments?

I’ve heard multiple Lampizators. They are pretty common at shows. MikeL also had one when I visited.

But I would never make any claims about the tech based on listening. It’s just well known in the industry that what Lukasz is going for isn’t a pure numbers game. Why would he? People love his DAC’s.

But if Ron wants the most technically advanced, that simply rules out Lampies. Low SNR, R2R, high bits, that’s the tech stuff.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
But if Ron wants the most technically advanced, that simply rules out Lampies. Low SNR, R2R, high bits, that’s the tech stuff.

Definitely agreed.

The massive point about Lampis is the fun factor. There aren't many other digital products that will keep you so endlessly fascinated as you try to extract the best from them.

Just look at the countless posts about them on these pages. I am still discovering upgrades even now, despite being a very early adopter. The last one just has me totally surprised.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hi Ron,

I think a DAC that's missing off your SOTA list is the TotalDAC DAC D1 12 Mk 2

The SNR is off (below) the chart, and in a highly resolving system you can hear what it brings to the sound presentation. The downside is that it is a lot of boxes

IMHO the TotalDAC D1 Driver is a component to audition between every high end DAC and the downstream electronics, it can bring a lot to the total system SQ / jump factor

It might be wise for Ron to try a Soekris before committing to something costly. They’re very cheap, yet very good objectively, R2R.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is a general rule in Thailand for a visitor to say Fantastic four times in public after visiting someone's hi end system.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It is a general rule in Thailand for a visitor to say Fantastic four times in public after visiting someone's hi end system.
Reed, Ben, Johnnie and Sue?

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Here you go . . .

I liked (for digital) SGM Extreme + MSB Select II at MikeL.

I liked (for digital) SGM Extreme + Lampizator Pacific at Audioquattr.

I liked (for digital) Innuous + MSB Premier at KeithR and at Alma Music and Audio.

Before I heard the above I thought SpiritofMusic’s EDP CD player sounded okay to good.

You heard 4 digital systems. Wow impressed

Reactions: gian60

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep Ked, he ventured to Norfolk to hear mine. That's like a good Cali boy having to go to Canada.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Fantastic Tang :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It's very easy. Just compare. The Lampi GG1 is the best especially with 242 tubes added. I have compared to both Pacific and Select 2. Then add streamers to compare, if Aurender, SGM, or the CLO transport is better

Ked, you still have only heard that exact ONE Pacific DAC, is that right?

I seriously suspect that this unit has a fault or a flaw because I know more than 10 People who upgraded their own GG1 and GG2 to Pacific and NONE of them considers their GG1 or GG2 anywhere near their Pacific. Most of them had their GG1/GG2 at the same time as their Pacific and could directly compare.

For me, the Pacific is in another league above the already excellent GG1/GG2.
The pacific is much more transparent and yet very musical and organic: just plain wonderful!

Please listen to another Pacific unit before you continue to spread your wisdom so vocally :rolleyes:

Reactions: adyc

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Curious that you ignore the DCS Vivaldi. We have several owners in WBF.

IMHO the speakers are the big unknown in your case - as far as I see no one here has large experience with your future speakers.

In my case the XLF /Vivaldi pairing is a big plus. Perhaps with the SoundLab's I would have stayed with the Metronome Calypso /C8+ . Anyway the Extreme confirmed my thoughts about the Vivaldi.

I heard a direct comparison between the Vivaldi stack and the Yggy in a familiar system. I only very slightly preferred the Vivaldi, though two of my friends much preferred the Yggy in this same system. Perhaps the Yggy DAC should be on Ron's list. :) Don't ask me which version of each we compared, as these things change frequently and I can't keep up.o_O

I really liked the dCS Rossini when I auditioned it at a local dealer.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've noticed a few who seem very disappointed when the first get them. Even in your little WhatsApp group, Christoph.

Maybe they need a while to break in but I have never been a firm believer in break in.

Whatever. No size fits all. I will only form an opinion when Ked concedes, buys one, and brings it round.;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing