State-of-the-Art Recordings of Classical Works (SACDs)

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1676612898942.png

SACD - 60597

If there ever such a thing as a perfect performance/recording, this is one such! The sound is very close to that of a live, resonant experience. The sound is immersive, on occasions, heartbreaking, totally transparent and pure. The resonance, timbre, texture and tone of all the instruments are spot-on. However, to me, this new level of sound performance is only possible with the inclusion of the Ansuz Acoustic D-TC Supreme and D--TC2 signal cables, D-TC PowerBox (grounding), D-TC resonance control footers, Shunyata Sigma power cables, EMM Labs SACD transport and DV2 DAC, Magico M2, Magico Q-Sub 15, and Critical Mass Systems Maxxum rack and amp. stand.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
TY; just found it on ePay.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1676874886602.png

Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Neeme Järvi. Chandos CHSA 5144 (SACD)

A truly realistic recording! The soundstage is huge and deep. The hall acoustics were very well captured. There is plenty of space and air between instruments and all the musical instruments here sounded real. Fortissimos sounded awesome. Play at a loud volume.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1676958085000.png

MIKHAIL GLINKA - Overture to Ruslan & Ludmilla
MIKHAIL IPPOLITOV-IVANOV - Procession of the Sardar from Caucasian Sketches
SERGE PROKOFIEV - March from The Love for Three Oranges
ALEXANDER BORODIN - Polovtsian Dances
NIKOLAI RIMSKY-KORSAKOV - Capriccio espagnol
ANATOL LIADOV - The Enchanted Lake; The Music Box
ARAM KHACHATURIAN - Love Theme from Spartacus
PIOTYR ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY - Russian Dance (Nutcracker); Hungarian Dance (Swan Lake)
MODEST MUSSORGSKY - Polonaise from Boris Godunov

Telarc SACD 60657

Another state-of-the art sound from Telarc. The dynamics are close to that of a live performance, the soundstage is immense, transparent, atmospheric and well defined, the strings are life-like, the brass has the brassiness, the woodwinds are sparkling, and the bass drum sounded resonant and like the real thing in a concert hall setting! The performances are first-rate, intensive, precise, refine, and with excellent control.

Reactions: astrotoy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Great to have your contributions. Are you listening to the stereo versions or multichannel or both? Thanks, Larry

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Great to have your contributions. Are you listening to the stereo versions or multichannel or both? Thanks, Larry

Hi and thank you! I am listening to the stereo layer. By the way, I forgot to mentioned that I am currently using a Constellation Audio Centaur Stereo amplifier.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
View attachment 104770

MIKHAIL GLINKA - Overture to Ruslan & Ludmilla
MIKHAIL IPPOLITOV-IVANOV - Procession of the Sardar from Caucasian Sketches
SERGE PROKOFIEV - March from The Love for Three Oranges
ALEXANDER BORODIN - Polovtsian Dances
NIKOLAI RIMSKY-KORSAKOV - Capriccio espagnol
ANATOL LIADOV - The Enchanted Lake; The Music Box
ARAM KHACHATURIAN - Love Theme from Spartacus
PIOTYR ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY - Russian Dance (Nutcracker); Hungarian Dance (Swan Lake)
MODEST MUSSORGSKY - Polonaise from Boris Godunov

Telarc SACD 60657

Another state-of-the art sound from Telarc. The dynamics are close to that of a live performance, the soundstage is immense, transparent, atmospheric and well defined, the strings are life-like, the brass has the brassiness, the woodwinds are sparkling, and the bass drum sounded resonant and like the real thing in a concert hall setting! The performances are first-rate, intensive, precise, refine, and with excellent control.
I own all the three recordings you listed in your previous posts. Of those three I (only) play Russian nights regurlarly, in particular because I love the piece ‘enchanted lake’ of Liadov. Very melodic and - indeed - enchanting. Most of these old(er) Telarc recordings sound very fine indeed. The only reservation I have with these Telarc recordings is that the (massed) string tone (to my ears anyway) is most of time somewhat thin/edgy. Good to read that they sound in your set up “life-like”.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
I own all the three recordings you listed in your previous posts. Of those three I (only) play Russian nights regurlarly, in particular because I love the piece ‘enchanted lake’ of Liadov. Very melodic and - indeed - enchanting. Most of these old(er) Telarc recordings sound very fine indeed. The only reservation I have with these Telarc recordings is that the (massed) string tone (to my ears anyway) is most of time somewhat thin/edgy. Good to read that they sound in your set up “life-like”.

Hi, Yes, indeed, the massed strings sounded lifelike via my sound system. Replace the weak components in the sound system that are contributing to that edgy sound. Lowering the noise floor of your sound system by using state-of-the-art signal and power cables, power conditioner, resonance control footers and racks will greatly eliminate edgy sound.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi, Yes, indeed, the massed strings sounded lifelike via my sound system. Replace the weak components in the sound system that are contributing to that edgy sound. Lowering the noise floor of your sound system by using state-of-the-art signal and power cables, power conditioner, resonance control footers and racks will greatly eliminate edgy sound.
Well, I believe that I may say that I own two top notch audio systems with inter alia (Kondo) tube amplification. Both with an extremely low noise floor due to the fact that I am using the top of line Tripoint ‘grounding’ stations and grounding cables. The result is in both audio set up the same (please do not get me wrong: I really like most of the Telarc classical recordings)

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1677132659192.png

Sergei PROKOFIEV (1891-1953)
Symphony No. 1 “Classical”, in D major, Op. 25 Symphony No. 2, in D minor, Op. 40 Symphony No. 3, in C minor, Op. 44 Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra/Andrew Litton BIS SACD 2174

Listen to the symphony no. 2 and 3. Perfect sound forever! These two pieces are truly of demonstration quality. Dynamics (fortissimos) are awesome, shocking and scary! (Play loud) All the instruments sounded alive, vivid and true to its timbre. Bass drum sounded tight, detailed and has shocking impact. The performances are also state-of-the-art.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
View attachment 104509

SACD - 60597

If there ever such a thing as a perfect performance/recording, this is one such! The sound is very close to that of a live, resonant experience. The sound is immersive, on occasions, heartbreaking, totally transparent and pure. The resonance, timbre, texture and tone of all the instruments are spot-on. However, to me, this new level of sound performance is only possible with the inclusion of the Ansuz Acoustic D-TC Supreme and D--TC2 signal cables, D-TC PowerBox (grounding), D-TC resonance control footers, Shunyata Sigma power cables, EMM Labs SACD transport and DV2 DAC, Magico M2, Magico Q-Sub 15, and Critical Mass Systems Maxxum rack and amp. stand.
Hi! It's great seeing this post, just as I was looking for some music recommendations. What do You consider the most touching records in Your collection? Do You have any recommendations for an occasional classical music listener? Thanks!

Apk99 delete

Nov 8, 2021
Listen to the symphony no. 2 and 3. Perfect sound forever! These two pieces are truly of demonstration quality. Dynamics (fortissimos) are awesome, shocking and scary! (Play loud) All the instruments sounded alive, vivid and true to its timbre. Bass drum sounded tight, detailed and has shocking impact. The performances are also state-of-the-art.
I had a listen to the whole album this morning and was very good! Thanks for these recommendations

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi! It's great seeing this post, just as I was looking for some music recommendations. What do You consider the most touching records in Your collection? Do You have any recommendations for an occasional classical music listener? Thanks!

Hi,

This album of light classical music may interest you:

1677211627404.png

Edvard GRIEG Incidental Music to Peer Gynt, Op 23 Piano Concerto in A minor, Op 16 Lise Davidsen, Ann-Helen Moen, Victoria Nava (sopranos), Johannes Weisser (baritone), Håkon Høgemo (Hardanger Fiddle), Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (piano) Bergen Pikekor; Bergen Guttekor; Edvard Grieg Ungdomskor; Edvard Grieg Kor; Bergen Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra/Edward Gardner (CHANDOS CHSA 5190 SACD)

Top-notch performances and recordings. Yearningly beautiful, and heartfelt, spot-on instrumental texture/timbre, amazing true-to-life dynamics (e.g. the whacking of the timpani on track 4), full, rich and awesome low bass, lifelike transients from the percussion instruments, lushness from the strings and the sound-scape beautifully lit in a gorgeous reverberant hall.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi,

This album of light classical music may interest you:

View attachment 105002

Edvard GRIEG Incidental Music to Peer Gynt, Op 23 Piano Concerto in A minor, Op 16 Lise Davidsen, Ann-Helen Moen, Victoria Nava (sopranos), Johannes Weisser (baritone), Håkon Høgemo (Hardanger Fiddle), Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (piano) Bergen Pikekor; Bergen Guttekor; Edvard Grieg Ungdomskor; Edvard Grieg Kor; Bergen Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra/Edward Gardner (CHANDOS CHSA 5190 SACD)

Top-notch performances and recordings. Yearningly beautiful, and heartfelt, spot-on instrumental texture/timbre, amazing true-to-life dynamics (e.g. the whacking of the timpani on track 4), full, rich and awesome low bass, lifelike transients from the percussion instruments, lushness from the strings and the sound-scape beautifully lit in a gorgeous reverberant hall.
What an amazing recommendation. That was a rollercoaster of emotions, and you were right - that timpani at the 4th track was indeed quite shocking, and reminded me of my love for drums of any kind. Have you got any drum-focused favourites when it comes to records? Would love to take a listen to those as well.

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
What an amazing recommendation. That was a rollercoaster of emotions, and you were right - that timpani at the 4th track was indeed quite shocking, and reminded me of my love for drums of any kind. Have you got any drum-focused favourites when it comes to records? Would love to take a listen to those as well.

1677476270894.png

Tarik O'Regan Acallam na Senórach / An Irish Colloquy (National Chamber Choir of Ireland; guitar: Stewart French; Paul Hillier) harmonia mundi usa SACD 807486

A captivating and beguiling work. The choir is set for 16 voices, accompanied by the guitar and drum roll that open the "Prologue" (Track 1). The drum, guitar and voices sounded real and tangible! A great test disc! Via my sound system, the ambient retrieval, harmonics, textures, tonality, dynamics, transients/decay were spot-on. Very immersive - Play loud.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
View attachment 105174

Tarik O'Regan Acallam na Senórach / An Irish Colloquy (National Chamber Choir of Ireland; guitar: Stewart French; Paul Hillier) harmonia mundi usa SACD 807486

A captivating and beguiling work. The choir is set for 16 voices, accompanied by the guitar and drum roll that open the "Prologue" (Track 1). The drum, guitar and voices sounded real and tangible! A great test disc! Via my sound system, the ambient retrieval, harmonics, textures, tonality, dynamics, transients/decay were spot-on. Very immersive - Play loud.
I'm always playing loud :)
In the meantime, I recommend you the La Folia De La Spagna by Gregorio Paniagua. An incredible recording with dynamics and textures that are out of this world.
Also, watch your volume, as there are some deafening sounds in the album.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
With apologies if this is considered inappropriate, I am looking to sell a collection of classical SACDs in bulk. I have just sold the house where that collection and a small MCH system were used and I am in the process of emptying it out.

I am scanning them now to offer a listing but that's not yet ready. However, if you are interested in a collection of 600-1000 (estimated) SACDs (>90% classical), please contact me by PM. Thanks.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
With apologies if this is considered inappropriate, I am looking to sell a collection of classical SACDs in bulk. I have just sold the house where that collection and a small MCH system were used and I am in the process of emptying it out.

I am scanning them now to offer a listing but that's not yet ready. However, if you are interested in a collection of 600-1000 (estimated) SACDs (>90% classical), please contact me by PM. Thanks.
Kal, suddenly my computer won't let me send PMs (or change my signature, either!) Could you pls PM me with your e-mail address so we can discuss this treasure?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing