Steamer/Transport Color the Sound?

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
What should I expect or pursue as I shop for a streamer?
It being essentially a pc, low noise is one attribute.
Should I expect, or shop for one in relation to other system components, by ear?
To what degree does it matter: like a cable (small, IMO) or a DAC (large)?
DAC of choice at the moment is a Merason.
Thx

Hi @NC Lee
Shopping for a streamer is not an easy task. I think you should start with a list of features that you expect.

1. You have mentioned a Merason DAC, so I presume digital outputs are a priority.
2. If changing a DAC is 100% change in quality, streamer would be around 60% for me.
3. Does it have to be an all-in-one solution? One box, controlled by an app on your smartphone.
4. What sources are you considering? Tidal, Spotify, Quobuz, hi-res files?
5. Would you consider an external software to run your streaming eg. Roon, Audirvana?

My current streamer is the Zen Stream, but I'm waiting for the new Neo Stream, which features a few super cool options like isolated optical ethernet. I'm using Roon, which runs on my main PC.

Streamers do have different sound character, and quality, I'd recommend auditioning if possible. I learned that the hard way.

I began using small less expensive streamers like HEOS and Bluesound Node. I wanted better and built-in HD. So I bought a $4k unit that had everything I wanted. Unfortunately I bought on brand recognition and wasn't able to audition, I bought from a local guy, got a good price but special order so no returns. I loved everything about it except the sound, it didn't sound bad but I didn't like the sound. So much so I sold the unit. I found another unit, my current ACS10, that had the features I wanted but even more expensive, so happens a dealer was local and could bring one over. It was very good and exceeded my expectations, so that's what I bought and use.

There are other good brands as well but at the time Innuous didn't have their app and Lumin still doesn't have a unit that meets what I was looking for.

Yes, cables also make a difference. My Audioquest Diamond was literally night & day over a generic USB. I have compared it against a couple other high end cables, the sound was different but nothing I liked better than what I was already hearing.

The prior poster gave some good advice. And don't under estimate the value of a good interface.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing