Stillpoints Ultra 6 v's Critical Mass Systems Centre Stage 2

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

No idea how they are designing it...looks vaguely like a Stillpoints Ultra 6 or 7...though bigger.
Visually yes. From what I've read about Wellfloat's other devices they all work on the principles of a pendulum, and were originally developed for isolating pianos and other musical instruments - very different from Stillpoints. They were already the favorite at Audio Exotics before the Babel:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Here are the comments that were in my original post about the Babel:

It appears that the Babel is 660,000 Yen or about $5K, which is half or less of the cost of Taiko's "Tana" modified Herzan microscope isolation platforms. Has anyone read a review of one of these Taiko platforms? Haven't been able to find one online including at the Taiko website. Also haven't heard or read a level of performance attributed to the Taiko Tana platforms comparable to what was described for the Wellfloat Babel in the Audio Exotics comments.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Visually yes. From what I've read about Wellfloat's other devices they all work on the principles of a pendulum, and were originally developed for isolating pianos and other musical instruments - very different from Stillpoints. They were already the favorite at Audio Exotics before the Babel:

Interesting! Here in the UK, I am told one of the big music international colleges/conservatories uses the Stillpoints under their pianos. Would be intrigued to hear what these Wellfloats do. There is also a Tungsten-based design with elastomers as well which I have read good things about.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How many of the Wellfloat Babels does one need under a component? At 17.5cm I would have thought at least 3, and occasionally, 4. At 5K each that is 15K per piece of equipment for isolation?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How many of the Wellfloat Babels does one need under a component? At 17.5cm I would have thought at least 3, and occasionally, 4. At 5K each that is 15K per piece of equipment for isolation?
Cellcbern said:
Here are the comments that were in my original post about the Babel:

audioexotics.vanillacommunity.com

I am Speechless — Babel by WELLFLOAT

I am Speechless - BABEL by Wellfloat
It appears that the Babel is 660,000 Yen or about $5K, which is half or less of the cost of Taiko's "Tana" modified Herzan microscope isolation platforms. Has anyone read a review of one of these Taiko platforms? Haven't been able to find one online including at the Taiko website. Also haven't heard or read a level of performance attributed to the Taiko Tana platforms comparable to what was described for the Wellfloat Babel in the Audio Exotics comments.

I just clicked on the link you sent, Cellcbern...looks like ONE Babel per piece of equipment, located under the center of the unit. So $5K/piece of equipment as long as it is stable at that diameter.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...no axe to grind at all here, just genuinely trying to understand the application.

Can anyone clarify the concept behind the text (from Wellfloat article): "...resonant frequency of 3Hz and an anti-vibration ratio of 10 to the 16th power..."

I understand the resonance bit, but a ratio requires two components to establish a comparative relationship, doesn't it? Is 10^16th compared to zero vibration, or "1" in a ratio comparison? 1:10^16

Also, wouldn't any vibrational interaction or management be at the molecular level...for any/everything? That reads a little "quantum-ish" to me.

The pendulum concept is interesting, but the application looks over-engineered from what little you can see in the pics. Thank you for posting the info as stimulus for thought, @Cellcbern

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
...no axe to grind at all here, just genuinely trying to understand the application.

Can anyone clarify the concept behind the text (from Wellfloat article): "...resonant frequency of 3Hz and an anti-vibration ratio of 10 to the 16th power..."

I understand the resonance bit, but a ratio requires two components to establish a comparative relationship, doesn't it? Is 10^16th compared to zero vibration, or "1" in a ratio comparison? 1:10^16

Also, wouldn't any vibrational interaction or management be at the molecular level...for any/everything? That reads a little "quantum-ish" to me.

The pendulum concept is interesting, but the application looks over-engineered from what little you can see in the pics. Thank you for posting the info as stimulus for thought, @Cellcbern
FYI: https://wellfloat-global.com/技術解説/

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
FYI: https://6moons.com/industry_articles/controlling-resonances/

Note the footnote at the end. If the Wellfloat Babel has a resonant frequency of 3Hz and an anti-vibration ratio of 10 to the 16th power how does that compare with the modified microscope isolation platforms from Taiko?
it's how science does it.

below is for just the basic TS platform; the Taiko package improves some of those stats but i don't have measurements myself. i use 5 of these systems in my system.....you can see pics in my system link at the bottom of my posts. passive can't touch these numbers. but active is not a perfect fit for every situation.

1659447639339.png

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
it's how science does it.

below is for just the basic TS platform; the Taiko package improves some of those stats but i don't have measurements myself. i use 5 of these systems in my system.....you can see pics in my system link at the bottom of my posts.

View attachment 96410
Yes - however with no comparisons from reviews and so few users that you get nothing back in an online search it is hard to know whether or not "how science does it" is optimal for audio, all the more so since it is active only below 1000Hz and uses springs (as I recall) above that. I've seen this data - it is from the Herzan website which doesn't even include audio as a potential application. Perhaps enough data will be released on the Wellfloat Babel at some point to make an "apples to apples" comparison with the Herzan/Taiko platforms.

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

Here's a review of one of the earlier Wellfloat isolation platform designs that provides more insight into the pendulum technology:

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
You've lost me. All "results" in audio reflect tastes - this is as true for your customers as for the posters at Audio Exotics, which is arguably the world's premier high end audio dealer. I know what different types of footers sound like (many of which are wood and metal like the Dalby, and the Harmonix tuning feet you sell) from more than 40 years as a serious audiophile. There is no "dulling" with the Dalby Lignum Vitae feet - either reflected in the comments of the Audio Exotics posters or in my experience, since I live with them.
Hi
Taste in audio is a way. I spoke about real results of vibration draining and a damping to get almost aperiodic decays. What is important for audiophiles is to like what they ear, but anyhow the is a different approach than true science of mechanical grounding. My purpose is just to reflects what I learned as engineer and professor of mechanical vibrations in a French university.

AThrillOfHope

Jul 27, 2021
As I mentioned on the Vitus thread, interestingly neither stillpoints nor CMS made any difference at all to my SIA030. Though I have the rack on Townshend Seismic corners (making the rack ‘float’) and I wonder if this negates the effects or need for further component feet.

This is what I wonder. I have yet to pull the trigger on either racks or 3rd party footers, and when presented with the option to buy used StillPoints, I turned them down because my limited funds would be better spent on good racks—CORRECT?

If a good suspension rack can not take care of the isolation and/or entropy issues, then what is the point of a good rack (looking at Artesania)? Would a system (source components and/or amps/pre) STILL benefit even once placed on a good suspension rack?

Anyone compared?

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
This is what I wonder. I have yet to pull the trigger on either racks or 3rd party footers, and when presented with the option to buy used StillPoints, I turned them down because my limited funds would be better spend on good racks—CORRECT?

If a good suspension rack can not take care of the isolation and/or entropy issues, then what is the point of a good rack (looking at Artesania)? Would a system (source components and/or amps/pre) STILL benefit even once placed on a good suspension rack?

Anyone compared?
Not necessarily "CORRECT". If you have limited funds (like me) I recommend that you do the cost comparison between a premium rack, and a well designed, inexpensive, basic rack like the Salamander Archetype with an isolation platform on top and isolating spike cups (e.g., Herbie’s Audio Lab Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider) under each of the rack’s spikes. Note also that neither a rack nor an isolation platform necessarily obviates the need for isolation/tuning feet. It is not an "either-or" if you are serious about isolation. "Cream of the Crop" isolation platforms like SRA may both isolate and drain/tune internally generated component resonances. Mid-tier and high value racks on the other hand typically only isolate and need help from platforms and/or footers in order to dissipate internal component resonances. I was getting superb isolation (see photos) from an inexpensive Salamander Archetype rack with custom isolation feet under each of the rack's spikes and an old Townshend Seismic Sink 3D air platform (that I bough used) on top. Yet the addition of first ASI Top Line feet (1st photo), replaced later with the extraordinary Dalby Audio Lignum Vitae feet (2nd photo) between my sacd player and the air platform resulted in significant increases in clarity and articulation. Note that if you look at the Audio Exotics website you will find photos of isolation platforms and/or feet being used on top of even world class, cost no object racks.

Out of curiosity, what racks were you considering?

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: AThrillOfHope

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
FWIW all of my front and rear ended components are sitting on CMS racks and each component sits on CS feet which sit on the CMS racks.
Assume one set of four CS feet. Place under DAC, or under preamp?

Of course, listening is paramount, but a guide toward where to start is helpful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing