Stillpoints Ultra Vs - Wilson X1/Grand Slamms

From the AS review by Harley, he uses components on the rack w/o any additional stillpoint devices other than what is used in the rack. That is a good thing and will save a bunch of dough. So once you have the rack all you need from stillpoints are 5's for speakers and maybe ultra SS under the amps. I think for a turntable, even on the ess rack, that use of ultra 5's will be beneficial. I am starting to consider getting these racks...two of them. By bank account is starting to cry. Help !!!! ;)
I currently use Adona reference racks.

I'm using a set of three Symposium Rollerblock Jrs. under my Technics reel. As you are aware the deck vibrates a great deal when in rewind or fast forward and the rollerblocks reduce this vibration significantly and the tape packs smoother. Easier on the pocket book as well!

All you need now is another 5k worth of 5's to take care of your speakers and you're done. Stillpoint is having a blowout quarter!

stillpoints...on carpet/pad is a compromise. I am on concrete slab and medium pile carpet with pad. The best solution if I want to put these 5's unders my X-2's is to just cit out circles to the concete. For now, I am not going to consider these things under my speakers...or my 275lb per channel amps

I'm using a set of three Symposium Rollerblock Jrs. under my Technics reel. As you are aware the deck vibrates a great deal when in rewind or fast forward and the rollerblocks reduce this vibration significantly and the tape packs smoother. Easier on the pocket book as well!

No, I realize that still points should replace the pos plastic footers on my technics 1500.

stillpoints...on carpet/pad is a compromise. I am on concrete slab and medium pile carpet with pad. The best solution if I want to put these 5's unders my X-2's is to just cit out circles to the concete. For now, I am not going to consider these things under my speakers...or my 275lb per channel amps

I disagree. When you couple the speakers to the concrete floor using spikes, the energy has nowhere to go but back into the speaker cabinet. The Stillpoints design principle is to absorb and dissipate the energy. They worked very well under my Verity Parsifals on carpet on a concrete slab.

I disagree. When you couple the speakers to the concrete floor using spikes, the energy has nowhere to go but back into the speaker cabinet. The Stillpoints design principle is to absorb and dissipate the energy. They worked very well under my Verity Parsifals on carpet on a concrete slab.

To the contrary , the energy drains through the diodes into my homes foundation. Trying these things under my 700lb per channel behemoths is the last in line. What I did today with only one component was beyond reproach....soon all components will be still.

Last edited:
To the contrary , the energy drains through the diodes into my homes foundation. Trying these things under my 700lb per channel behemoths is the last in line. What I did today with only one component was beyond approach....soon all components will be still.

I don't see how spikes on a concrete slab will drain anything. Think driving a car with no crumple zones into a concrete wall.

I don't see how spikes on a concrete slab will drain anything. Think driving a car with no crumple zones into a concrete wall.

there are 2 schools of thought on speaker/floor interface. grounding and de-coupling.

heavy speakers spiked onto a concrete floor is the optimal grounding approach. it does hold the cabinet still and allow the drivers to work with minimal distortion. the only negative is that there is a bit of 'noise' or 'feedback' inherent in the ground which gets added to the noise floor. grounding does not drain away resonance, it eliminates some of the cause of resonance......which is flex between the floor and cabinet....but again, it does add ground noise/feedback.

de-coupling adds some sort of isolation mechanism between the speaker and floor and in theory does drain away resonance. but it needs to be stable too to keep the cabinet steady.

i think properly exectuted de-coupling has the higher performance potential.....but grounding is effective too.

both approaches work best when the floor is solid, and neither solves completely a springy floor.....all they can do is change the frequency of the resonance.

Last edited:
One possible way to decouple on carpet over concrete would be to make a platform on spikes and mount the
Stillpoints (or whatever) between the platform and the spikes. Then you could experiment with different spikes and different platforms too!

I just spent $5k on stillpoints after hearing only 3 Ultra SS under my phono stage gain stage (not power supply) and the LP1 on my turntable. Under components in a rack, the SS sounded superior to the 5's. I suspect this is due to the lighter weight of rack components. I see the Ultra 5' as only being useful under speakers, amps and turntables. The smaller Ultra SS sound better under components less than 40lbs in weight. I wanted to hate these things. Truth is, they bring a new level of performance/ sound quality. Today I purchased 15 Ultra SS for 5 components used in three's, the LP 1 one and 6 ultra mini's for the lighter weight of the KC gain and power supply chassis. More impressions to come.

Congrats! I elected to keep the Ultra 5s for the sub. I negotiated a bit and got a little more off on these...still over the top and nearly what i've paid for components but they are that good in my system and polish off the performance nicely. i'm done with isolation now.

One possible way to decouple on carpet over concrete would be to make a platform on spikes and mount the
Stillpoints (or whatever) between the platform and the spikes. Then you could experiment with different spikes and different platforms too!

In the case of X2s...that really changes the height...while they are extremely adjustable...i wonder if that much of a height change might not do other things in imaging, etc? Time and effort aside...i am convinced trying Ultra 5s under X2s on carpet is a worthwhile experiment...but whether its a worthwhile investment of money to actually buy them? Could see that being a topic of some debate.

Honestly, for me, they are so good...i would not be surprised if some owners came to the conclusion they were...particularly in the context of a speaker the cost of an X2. Now that I own them, I certainly would install them first if we move to carpeted sound room someday.

there are 2 schools of thought on speaker/floor interface. grounding and de-coupling.

heavy speakers spiked onto a concrete floor is the optimal grounding approach. it does hold the cabinet still and allow the drivers to work with minimal distortion. the only negative is that there is a bit of 'noise' or 'feedback' inherent in the ground which gets added to the noise floor. grounding does not drain away resonance, it eliminates some of the cause of resonance......which is flex between the floor and cabinet....but again, it does add ground noise/feedback.

de-coupling adds some sort of isolation mechanism between the speaker and floor and in theory does drain away resonance. but it needs to be stable too to keep the cabinet steady.

The Stillpoints Ultra 5 base is reasonably wide which is good...and since Stillpoints provides adaptor screws for loads of different components and speakers so that you can screw them into the base of the unit...it means the stability is excellent. Just remember not to screw it all the way in tightly...need to keep a quarter to half a turn worth of space from the unit and keep the Ultra 5 'loosely' attached. Wilson - Stillpoints Ultra 5s.jpg

so what are the MSRP of these units..... ? I haven't found anything on any of the sites.

Ultra SS=249/ea. Ultra 5=699/ea. LPI=549. Ultra Base=69.
so what are the MSRP of these units..... ? I haven't found anything on any of the sites.

I don't mean to advertise here, but if anyone is in my area of New York, I would be glad to bring the "kit" to your house so you can hear what they do in your system.
Bill-
wdemars@beautyofsound.com.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing