Studer A80RC MkII offered by ATAE

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
This is as "NEW" Studer A80RC MKII offered by Fred Thal of ATAE.

Although it is not a cheap machine, if you are looking for a no worries master recorder with warranty, I think it's a good one.

Here's the link with more photos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201542509727

I have no commercial ties to the sale - just trying to help Fred reach quality audience.

Thanks,
Ki

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Despite being a fan of the format, I just had a heart attack over the price. :D

Good to see you Ki. Hope all is well.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree.

I think Fred's Studer machines are in a different league than everyone else's Studer machines. I have had long email correspondence and telephone conversations with Fred over several months and he is a perfectionist about his Studers. He also starts with unusually clean and low-mileage machines.

When I began researching Studers I identified and spoke with several of the world's experts on Studers (e.g., Andreas Kuhn, Roger Ginsley) and Fred's work is greatly respected by all of them.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Bob,

That sounds incredibly good over my laptop! Apparently, the audio went direct out of the deck into the camera mic input.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sam, you probably have a better sound from your laptop than mine.
But we can always connect the mini stereo out jack to our main stereo hi-fi sound system.
And I also have the interconnect ready on my desktop. /// With integrated amp and speakers.

Two more (same machine):

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, that's a very good channel on YouTube, some interesting material there ... I note this clip, Akai GX4000 DB, on an Akai R2R - a brand that doesn't get much praise in these parts ... to my ears, not that shabby ...

Frank, with them youtube videos, are you using some Magico speakers connected to your PC and with an amp between? :b
...Or just simply the speakers that comes with your laptop or desktop computer?

Of course I am humorous a little. But one thing I remarked in the past and that I'm going to repeat here again: PeterB from AVShowrooms made some splendid sounding videos.
Some of them I am totally amazed by the sound quality even over my laptop's speakers. So I know they would sound even better if I was listening from my main system, or in person with Peter. He uses a quality video camera and microphone...I can tell, and I told him too in the past, few times.

* Looking @ those tape decks (R-2-R machines), the tape going through all those capstans and playback heads, listening to the music coming out of it; is pure music magic.
It is very similar to a turntable. Analog music reproduction (tape and vinyl) is sublime. I will never forget all my years of LPs listening from age 14 to roughly age 54 (when I came back a bit to it, for few years (3 or 5).
It's a long story, a sad journey too near the end, when all my mint albums were stolen from me. ...And all my own music recordings (on tape).

I did record my own music playing on reel-to-reel tapes, cassette tapes, and CDs too. ...All gone now, all stolen. All those real memories cannot be recovered, ever.
So when I look @ videos like that, it's both a delight and a sorrow @ the same time. I take it as it comes, and goes; just like a true human being with a normal life and a broken heart. I'm not alone; some had it worst, and still in many corners of our globe...

Yes, R-2-R machines are magic, great magic. I can feel it, and I know others here can too. Plus the fortunate ones who own one (or more) and still use them.
Do you remember Roger? ...RogerD ? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/member.php?117-RogerD

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Most assuredly I remember RogerD, I did enjoy the conversations with him - he used some slightly unusual techniques to enhance the perceived sound, but certainly knew what he was after! Just using the laptop speakers, these are capable of doing quite decent detail retrieval if I pull out enough stops - certainly good enough to pick the dodgy show systems recorded by, say Peter. The simple technique is to listen to a YouTube capture of live music, gives you a reference reproduction to compare with a recording of an audio system - those clips in which the rig still projects a naturalness to the quality are the signs to look for.

Cheers,

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm actually surprised it's that low. I expected it to be more. I doubt it will last too long.
Prices must be going higher and higher then as my chief designer had a half inch A80 RC which he has meticulously maintained for his recording studio and sold it for I think half of that amount of not less. This was 2-3 years ago though. Or maybe more, I am as usual losing my memory. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yesterday I did a search of what they are selling for; I was going to post few links, but after more extensive research that was simply too many links to post and with prices all over the place. ...From roughly $1,500 to $15,000. The condition of those units are not all mint, and the repairs and parts needed and experts who can restore them are all factors entering the financial equation. It is what it is and it varies and it is relative, very.

Also you have the one before the MKII and other similar number models. You have some that are selling for parts and other that have been restored or kept in good condition. eBay is not a guaranty that the world is pink...way of speech.

Anyway, that's what I found in my searches. It's not a black & white affair, it has several multicolor layers...
And from one year to the next the prices vary too. The difference between an actual value appraisal in today's market (financial) and the value for each individual is as diversified as there are people having an interest or not. The condition, the performance, ...etc., determine the overall appraisal, and even the appraiser himself is @ the mercy of time and market conditions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing