stuff of dreams....3000 classical records inbound.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Half of the pieces are chamber and or solo performances. This is the ideal ratio in a genuine collection.

Westminster WL, Vox, London LL and CS, Capitol SP and P.

These will be the most obvious gems.

Kindest regards,G.
i could not agree more. these days when i'm thinking of the 'next' record to listen to, more often than not, my sense is what smaller combo or solo classical piece can i grab that with scratch the itch. something 'fresh'? chamber music of all kinds being my favorite.

i did not start out 25 years ago with this perspective, but as i learned about classical and expanded my knowledge and experience, my system improved over time allowing some music to be more accessible, it's just the way the path led me.

now maybe i have 1500 more choices in the 'best case' scenario. which one's would a Gramaphone reviewer want to have? it could be rich.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations, Mike. Great to read that "No sorting required. Simply open the numbered boxes and place on your shelves" . I once bought a large collection of LPs and spent a few weeks just sorting it!
i have a plan. as my initial rack choice it will be the Kallax system from Ikea. it's really cheap, and i'm not stacking high. upstairs in the barn my pool table space has unused floor space on either side where i can have 20+ feet of two stacked rows, 30" tall that will not impede pool playing (don't do it much unless my children visit). then i will place loose, another 20' feet on top of those stacked units, as temporary so that gives me my needed 60'. while another 20' of more sexy furniture grade shelving for my barn entrance area is built. with COVID, this could take a year to receive. but at least i can actually unload the boxes into an organized system to retain the sequence of the sorting already done.

at one point i had 3000 records upstairs in my barn; but those were mostly dups and fluff (and about 500 records i wish i would have kept....70's 'big hair metal' i now like some), and marching band records i got with a collection. i needed the space for my workout stuff, so it all went away. so that's why i have to use the pool playing area for these. my other thought was to inset shelves into my hallway wall downstairs, which i could do, but that would be tricky as it would still stick out and intrude on the usability of the downstairs. so the least intrusive thing is my upstairs pool table area. i do have about 500 records, and 50 tapes, on shelves on the landing of the stairway, which has worked out well.

not sure how i will integrate my current 2500 pressing classical collection exactly; it's also sorted alphabetically by composer right now. a good problem to have.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
i have a plan. as my initial rack choice it will be the Kallax system from Ikea. it's really cheap, and i'm not stacking high. upstairs in the barn my pool table space has unused floor space on either side where i can have 20+ feet of two stacked rows, 30" tall that will not impede pool playing (don't do it much unless my children visit). then i will place loose, another 20' feet on top of those stacked units, as temporary so that gives me my needed 60'. while another 20' of more sexy furniture grade shelving for my barn entrance area is built. with COVID, this could take a year to receive. but at least i can actually unload the boxes into an organized system to retain the sequence of the sorting already done.

at one point i had 3000 records upstairs in my barn; but those were mostly dups and fluff (and about 500 records i wish i would have kept....70's 'big hair metal' i now like some), and marching band records i got with a collection. i needed the space for my workout stuff, so it all went away. so that's why i have to use the pool playing area for these. my other thought was to inset shelves into my hallway wall downstairs, which i could do, but that would be tricky as it would still stick out and intrude on the usability of the downstairs. so the least intrusive thing is my upstairs pool table area. i do have about 500 records, and 50 tapes, on shelves on the landing of the stairway, which has worked out well.

not sure how i will integrate my current 2500 pressing classical collection exactly; it's also sorted alphabetically by composer right now. a good problem to have.
most importantly...what happens to jazdoc's record ghetto??? Asking for a friend...:D:rolleyes::eek:

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Wow Mike! Congrats!
A dream come true.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
most importantly...what happens to jazdoc's record ghetto??? Asking for a friend...:D:rolleyes::eek:
'the jazdoc neighborhood' 'record ghetto' of my collection will always have a place of prominence. it's slated to be in my new 'upscale' record shelves in my entrance area right next to 'glam groups'.o_O

i've got the hair gel ready. now just need some hair.:cool:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
looks like my records arrive tomorrow. i assembled my upstairs racks on Sunday, and my body has now recovered from the 7 hour game of twister that entails. so after my adrenaline propelled workout of carrying -41- 45 pound boxes up my stairs, i get the long weekend to see what we actually got here. :)

fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
Here’s a helpful item for the Kallax:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

I need something like this as all my lps are on the floor.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

great minds think alike. yesterday i purchased -4- 10 foot 2" x 3/8" trim boards. tonight i'm cutting them into 57" long pieces and screwing them to the backs of each of my 8 pieces. for just that reason. i will use duct tape too to attach the small panels to the board. the board is a similar color to the wall behind..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed.P

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
were delivered around lunch time, so went home to meet the truck, and had the delivery guy place the 2 pallets near the barn front door. i was able to move 12 of the 41 boxes upstairs, before my body rebelled, so then i just moved the remaining 29 boxes inside to my hallway, and went back to work. but they are all in the barn. have to move the rest upstairs in stages. tonight some looking and (finally) listening.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
were delivered around lunch time, so went home to meet the truck, and had the delivery guy place the 2 pallets near the barn front door. i was able to move 12 of the 41 boxes upstairs, before my body rebelled, so then i just moved the remaining 29 boxes inside to my hallway, and went back to work. but they are all in the barn. have to move the rest upstairs in stages. tonight some looking and (finally) listening.
What a way to work out!
More seriously though it is going to interesting to read more of the contents of this new collection and more particularly how they sound.
You must be looking forward to that coming journey.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
so i opened 3 boxes and pulled out 11 random Lp's and played each for a half a side. none appeared to have been obviously played prior, all are quiet without cleaning, some obvious dust, but not excessive. covers are nice, even look new mostly. i was not familiar with any of these pressings before, and just a couple somewhat knew the music. only the Bartok is a digital recording; sounds wonderful. so these are new fresh ground for me. every one i wanted to play all the way through, but i do want to clean them first. but i'm hot to trot to take the measure of these and see the quality.

and my first blush viewpoint is, i'm over the moon about the seeming musical quality and performances. these sound wonderful. and for this tonight i'm using my NVS/Tosca/Etsuro Gold/dart phono......which is showing it's fully up to the task.

eleven for eleven is pretty good.
1637812033516.png

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
What a way to work out!
More seriously though it is going to interesting to read more of the contents of this new collection and more particularly how they sound.
You must be looking forward to that coming journey.
thanks Barry. had to take a shower prior to returning to work. whew! i did feel a fully 70 years old right then. :p

tonight when i got home had the intentions of getting 10-15 more boxes upstairs. got 6 more up those stairs, the last couple about did me in. took all my energy just to take three boxes from the hallway a few feet into my listening room to sample.

love what i'm hearing so far.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mike, you are doing great! Besides, 70 is the new 50.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
so i opened 3 boxes and pulled out 11 random Lp's and played each for a half a side. none appeared to have been obviously played prior, all are quiet without cleaning, some obvious dust, but not excessive. covers are nice, even look new mostly. i was not familiar with any of these pressings before, and just a couple somewhat knew the music. only the Bartok is a digital recording; sounds wonderful. so these are new fresh ground for me. every one i wanted to play all the way through, but i do want to clean them first. but i'm hot to trot to take the measure of these and see the quality.

and my first blush viewpoint is, i'm over the moon about the seeming musical quality and performances. these sound wonderful. and for this tonight i'm using my NVS/Tosca/Etsuro Gold/dart phono......which is showing it's fully up to the task.

eleven for eleven is pretty good.
View attachment 85202

I've got that Elliot Carter on Nonsuch. In my system it's a really well recorded LP. Enjoy - 11 for 11 is a really good hit rate!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
thanks Barry. had to take a shower prior to returning to work. whew! i did feel a fully 70 years old right then. :p

tonight when i got home had the intentions of getting 10-15 more boxes upstairs. got 6 more up those stairs, the last couple about did me in. took all my energy just to take three boxes from the hallway a few feet into my listening room to sample.

love what i'm hearing so far.
Thanks Mike
The Ebay ad had all the hallmarks of a very good buy so I was pretty sure it would be.
Further exploration and listening joys to come but it looks as if you have struck gold.
Take your time and savour the experience!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I've got that Elliot Carter on Nonsuch. In my system it's a really well recorded LP. Enjoy - 11 for 11 is a really good hit rate!
that one jumped out as a very fine pressing, and loved the intensity of the music. then i see 'mastering; Robert C. Ludwig (Sterling Sound, Inc.)......very few accidents on how great pressings happen. :)

Reactions: Chop

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
that one jumped out as a very fine pressing, and loved the intensity of the music. then i see 'mastering; Robert C. Ludwig (Sterling Sound, Inc.)......very few accidents on how great pressings happen. :)
Robert Ludwig on classical... Interesting isn't it?
I have quite a few classical recordings on the Vox label which have the magic Jazz designation "RVG" or even "Dr Van Gelder" in the deadwax. They're pretty good recordings as well!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Opened 8 boxes so far and removed 3 or 4 records from each. by an hour ago i did move all the boxes upstairs. 3-4 at a time, listen, clean, listen, clean, move some more. that part is done. no apparent pulled muscles. next physical strain will be to start from the "Z" end and back fill my racks. will start that later.

from my brief view so far, that initial first eleven was not representative of the mix. more digital recordings than 10%, but not sure how many. and many major label pressings are not originals, but mostly early pressings, and the sound is consistently very good to great. 100% top condition. i did not expect a high percentage of rare originals. but i've only quickly scanned 8 of the 41 boxes of the spines of the pressings.

this collection is about the music and fleshing out my collection. this allows me to learn, enjoy, and when i love the performance i can pursue the original. For me doing research, and trying to predict the music to pay bigger money for is not a workable direction. If I never bought another classical record I’m good.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
“If I never bought another classical record I’m good.” :D:D:D:D You are so funny.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing