Super3 - a supercapacitor LPS, by Farad Power Supplies

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I'm afraid Farad's data is a bit optimistic. I have tested trying to power a Uptone LPS 1.2 (you need a source that supplies 36 watts) with a 12 volt Farad Super3 and it just can't do it, although they say that at that voltage it supplies 3 Amps.

Francisco, I think we will be right on the dot if we need 36 watts. ( 12v x 3a =36watts)Think it will run hotter and the efficiency could take a hit due to the extra heat. There might not be a buffer to account for the drop in power due to the heat. It will be good if Mattijs can chime in.

Thuan

Apr 20, 2020
I'm so sorry I wasn't clear when asking. I meant, what's the fuse value (A, V) in a 5V Super3 Farad?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well it was just a test for fun, to see how much the Uptone LPS 1.2 improved if we traded its stock SMTP for Farad. My current status is provisional regarding LPS. I had a modem-router and EtherREGEN connected to AudioQuest Diamond. Both were powered by a Farad Super3 with silver Level 2 cable (much better than the copper Level2) and both connected to a Denali 6000 V2. So after reading the experience of some guys I ordered a Sonore OM and the result (once I tried several SFPs and various lengths of fiber cable) was very, very good, so it had to be powered up. I could have asked for a third 5 volt Farad, but I no longer had any free sockets in the Denali and my experience is that by pulling a Farad out of the Denali it dropped the SQ. So I had to order a two rails LPS and since Farad does not manufacture them, I decided to buy a Paul Hynes SR7 DT that will arrive in September. Meanwhile the OM is powered with a Uptone LPS 1.2 that I had free and it is in this context that I decided for fun to test with Farad.

Reactions: Abyss Man

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Like you, I’m trying to get to a point where I’m “done”. And by done I mean that I have arrived at a point where I could easily live with what I have a decade or so from now when I retire. My amp , speakers, and speaker cables were the first to get to “done”. Surely I can do better, but I don’t hear these doing any harm and I‘be been delighted with what I’m hearing from them.

Getting the digital side to “done” has taken awhile but I think I’m finally almost there. An EtherRegen when played a key role in this as it helped to reduce harm that was being done to the music by my network. But to my surprise, the ER did much more than that by helping to allow me to hear deeper into recordings. Powering an ER with a Super3 was another surprise. This may have made as much of an improvement as the ER itself. I should also mention that a Sonore opticalModule feeding the ER a run of fiber also played a big part in making my network less harmful. I realize that many folks are going way beyond this by deploying multiple audiophile switches on after the other. Abyss Man does this, for example. I’m satisfied enough with my network now that I’m inclined to say that I’m “done” as far as the network goes.
Good morning Kenny.

I have already retired (I am 52 years old). When I was working, I did not have the time to do as much as I wanted with my favorite hobby. But now that I have the time, you devote all my effort to it: how to make my system perform better. My wife is complaining about it, but ok, I'm dealing with it!

I quote below a link that concerns the evaluation by Amir, and refers to EtherREGEN with not good words. I do not believe his views, but I would like you to read it.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../uptone-audio-etherregen-switch-review.10232/

What's up with this guy?

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I'm so sorry I wasn't clear when asking. I meant, what's the fuse value (A, V) in a 5V Super3 Farad?
For the 12v version it’s 500mA but if you are going with an audiophile grade fuse use 800mA. Mattjis recommends this. As for 5v I reckon it should be the same but you can always open up the unit to check or ask Mattjis, he is very helpful and responsive.

Reactions: Thuan

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
TBH Ken, I don’t think we can be “Done” on the digital front as the post gets shifted pretty quickly on that front. Looks like we just have to tell ourselves we are “Done” and just enjoy the music till upgraditis bites again. Staying away from forums help too I Guess. LOL.
But as you have mentioned, the Farad is a brilliant piece of kit. I’m so glad I took the plunge after u gave me the confidence to make that jump. Thank you.
... I totally agree with you Abyss.
The digital front never ends. Every year we see leaps in the field of digital reproduction. However, it is not possible for Audiphile to pay every time. It is impossible.

My dogma is this: I get these devices that have build quality, good support from the manufacturer, have upgradeability elements, and, of course, integrate all the technologies today. From then on, as long as you are satisfied with the result, you stay with it for several years.

?he "Economic bleeding" serves manufacturers and sellers. Only.
But the information about the developments in the field of digital must be active, it is enough to control our desires!

Thuan

Apr 20, 2020
For the 12v version it’s 500mA but if you are going with an audiophile grade fuse use 800mA. Mattjis recommends this. As for 5v I reckon it should be the same but you can always open up the unit to check or ask Mattjis, he is very helpful and responsive.
Thanks Abyss.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I quote below a link that concerns the evaluation by Amir, and refers to EtherREGEN with not good words. I do not believe his views, but I would like you to read it.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../uptone-audio-etherregen-switch-review.10232/

What's up with this guy?

Malignant narcissism.

Amir doesn’t have a good grasp of the scientific method so when it comes to measuring devices like the ER, he has no idea how to construct a test that would validate listener’s claims. That he demonstrates not a bit of curiosity about why listeners are making such claims shows that he had no interest in giving the ER a fair shot. He demonstrates an inflated view of himself from the fact that he thinks he has it all figured to the point that he can boldly make the claims he makes. Note also the complete lack of empathy for anyone who likes what they hear from the ER. A fair-minded individual would give these listeners the benefit of the doubt then go about trying to figure out what might explain what they are hearing.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

The AC voltage matters in fuse selection. For 115Vac, MaMattijs recommends 1.6A slow blow, 5x20 mm (for an audiophile fuse). I believe Abyss Man gave you the fuse value for 220vac.

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
One more thing, I forgot, get some Mundorf Silver/Gold hook up wires as DC cable. Use 15awg or 2 runs of 18awg. I tried the 18awg and it was already better than my present 18awg Neotech Silver solid core. I decided to try 2 runs of 18awg which equates to 15awg of the Mundorf and it sounds better but in all honesty I cannot be sure cause it's still early days. It takes quite a while to break in. The soundstage is wider though at this present moment.
Abyss the mundorf cable you used is the following?
https://www.tubefan.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?currency=TWD&products_id=1736&language=en

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi,
No, these are XLR cables probably made from using Mundorf Silver/Gold cables. I'm not sure.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/mundorf-hook-up-wire.html

This is what I'm talking about. U have to make them though. It's easy if u know soldering. If not, I'm sure an audio shop can hook it up for you at a cost of course. Use Mundorf Supreme silver solder if possible. Get some Oyaide DC plugs as well. Cheers.

Thuan

Apr 20, 2020
The AC voltage matters in fuse selection. For 115Vac, MaMattijs recommends 1.6A slow blow, 5x20 mm (for an audiophile fuse). I believe Abyss Man gave you the fuse value for 220vac.
Yes he did, thanks for clarifying.

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Hi,
No, these are XLR cables probably made from using Mundorf Silver/Gold cables. I'm not sure.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/mundorf-hook-up-wire.html

This is what I'm talking about. U have to make them though. It's easy if u know soldering. If not, I'm sure an audio shop can hook it up for you at a cost of course. Use Mundorf Supreme silver solder if possible. Get some Oyaide DC plugs as well. Cheers.
Thank you very much. Could I also have a link to the plugs? I would like to buy them..

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Hi,
I bought them off an audio shop here. But here is a link https://www.vhaudio.com/oyaide-dc.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oyaide-DC-...nnector-For-Audio-made-in-Japan-/132532290710
Use some good quality DC plugs if you are not able to get these.
Good morning Abyss.
Of course I can get them. I will order them today. I would like to ask, is there a link also for the 4pin plug that screws onto the power supply?

Thank you, thank you very much for helping me ..

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Good morning Abyss.
Of course I can get them. I will order them today. I would like to ask, is there a link also for the 4pin plug that screws onto the power supply?

Thank you, thank you very much for helping me ..
Just use the one that Farad sent. Desolder and use it. They are good quality good plated GX16-4 connectors. U can get normal ones but gold plated I have no idea.

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Just use the one that Farad sent. Desolder and use it. They are good quality good plated GX16-4 connectors. U can get normal ones but gold plated I have no idea.
Abyss I would rather not spoil it. It must remain intact so that I can make the comparison with what I will make. Thank you very much for your valuable help. I will upload to the Site all the production phases, as well as the final product. Be well!

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I just checked and they are readily available on eBay. Have fun.

Reactions: Varadero xl 1000 v

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Hi Folks! Apologies for the long absence from this thread during these crazy times; I wanted to post my long-delayed observations on the Farad Super3 DC LPS which I received from Santa for Christmas 2019. Essentially, I own three (3) SOtM products (USBultra, nH-10G x 2 - all with full upgrade options) which needed to be powered with 12V DC inputs. Initially, they were all powered by SOtM's sPS-500, but I decided to kick them out due to concerns about SMPS noise polluting the AC upstream, and the DC downstream. As their replacement, I bought one double-stack of the PLiXiR Elite BDC 2A 12V LPS which provided two 12V DC outputs, then a Farad Super3 (with full upgrade options), together providing three 12V DC outputs. Fellow WBF member Abyss Man messaged me a few questions back in Feb, so with his permission I'd like to post here (edited in some areas for clarity) our exchanges in a Q&A format.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing