Super3 - a supercapacitor LPS, by Farad Power Supplies

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
2020--Feb

AM: Hi QD, how's the Farad 3 coming along? I am now thinking if I should get the Farad 3 or the Plixir Elite. Any advise? The Plixir with 2 outlets at 2amps is going for $830 Singapore Dollars and the Farad 3 with the full upgrade is $930 but with a single output. Thank you.

Me: Hello AM! The Farad 3 is doing just fine. After installation, burn-in, and connecting (via Ghent JSSG 360 DC power cable) to my SOtM USBultra, it's been performing flawlessly. The past couple of months have been rather crazy, so I've been rather distracted from my usual work/rest routine. Thus, I haven't done the comparison between the Plixir Elite and the Farad yet. Getting it done will require some deft yoga moves, as the space behind my audio rack is rather crowded, and I will also need to disconnect my second SOtM sNH-10G, to free up one DC output from the stacked Plixir Elite. The USBultra will be fed by either the Farad DC, or the Plixir Elite BDC, for an A/B test. My guess is that both are already performing at the highest possible level - if I were to take a guess, the Plixir will score a subjective 88-92 points, with the Farad scoring 92-94 points, so on an absolute basis, the difference will be rather subtle. But thanks for keeping me on my toes, as I'm really curious myself which is the audibly "better" one. My advice is to skip the Plixir Elite with the two outlets, and go straight to either the stacked version with independent transformers, or the standalone Farad. Inter-component noise is not something worth gambling with, as having two DC outputs connected in parallel is pretty much the same as having one DC cable in a Y-configuration. Any noise generated by one of the two connected components will leak into the other one, defeating the goal of isolation. I happen to really enjoy the benefit of the stacked Plixir Elites, as only one AC cable is necessary to power both units. Audiophile AC cables can get pretty pricey, as we both know. And a single 2A BDC will likely be totally inadequate to power two components... wait, which two components are you trying to power with the single Plixir Elite DC unit?

AM: Hi QD, I was thinking of powering my 2 switches or the txusb and sms-200. I thought of getting a 4amp unit

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
2020-Mar

Me: Hi Abyss Man, welcome back from your long business trip! Hopefully, the coronavirus is not messing up your plans for adding a new DC power supply - I'm now contemplating the purchase of the Melco S100 network switch, to add to my two fully upgraded SOtM NH-10Gs...

AM: Hi QD, thank you, I'll be leaving again on the 18th, not much [time] to enjoy my new-found nirvana. I love this double switch configuration. I read good things about the Meco and soTm combo, but I think you will be stepping into a whole new world with 2 sotm switches and Melco in the same line.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
2020-Apr

AM: Hi QD, how are things with you? Hope you are keeping safe. By any chance have you done an A/B comparison with the Elite and Farad3? I have narrowed down my search for an LPS to the following:
1. Plixir Elite
2. Farad 3
3. Ph SR4T (Turbo Version)

Me: Hey AM! Thanks for your well wishes - I’m doing just fine. Having spent more time at home during the past few months, curiosity hit me and I conducted a comparison just last week. As you probably know, I have two NH-10G switches, both powered individually by a PLiXiR Elite BDC unit (double stacked). The Farad Super3 powers my single USBultra. To compare the PLiXiR and the Farad, I needed to set up a configuration which allowed a quick A/B. So I removed the second nH-10G, leaving just two components, together requiring two 12V DC power sources - one being the PLiXiR, and the other being the Farad. One nH-10G was powered by the PLiXiR (fixed), leaving the USBultra to be the variable, powered by either the other PLiXiR, or alternatively the Farad.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
2020-Apr

Me: You can probably relate to this, but it’s sometimes maddeningly difficult and stressful to A/B components. I spent 1.5 hours switching between the two different DC sources, in/out. They definitely sounded DIFFERENT. As for which is more “accurate”, it’s unfortunately not possible to know. Perhaps just one’s “preference” for one over the other, depending on one’s playback volume. By this I mean that the relative frequency sensitivity of the ear is loudness dependent. At lower volumes, one will prefer deeper and punchier bass, as the ear’s sensitivity to bass is quite poor. But at louder volumes, the bass starts asserting itself more, and the mid/highs become relatively tamer. Anyway, long story short, for the USBultra, the PLiXiR was (surprisingly) my preference.

Listening notes - the following are observations I made for the PLiXiR (relative to the Farad):
Bass punchier, imaging of chorus more expansive, highs harmonically separated more (floats wider, larger), and front/back imaging deeper. Broadly speaking, the Farad made the presentation more compact and polite, while the PLiXiR made the presentation larger, deeper, more nervous/exciting (in a good way). Ironically, a “larger” soundstage can be indicative of less phase accuracy, with less precise left/right phase tracking. But similar to an LP signal with the stylus constantly generating 2nd harmonic distortion, and shifting phase between channels, it can be euphonic. The good thing is that I have the choice to mix/match different DC sources for the various outboard boxes. The permutations can drive one crazy, though... As I normally listen at lower volumes, the PLiXiR’s balance is likely to suit me better. However, at higher volume levels, that may sound a bit fat/slow. It all depends! The redemption in digital source signals is that in the absence of exogenously generated spurious euphonic harmonics, there still is the potential to place tiny pin-point images in the broader soundstage, provided that the system is capable of reproducing extremely precise L-R phase and amplitude “matching”. THAT, my system is able to do. So I’m very confident that euphonically large objects “all the time”, a systematic distortion (which I experienced with a full-loom Audience cable setup) is not currently present in my system In other words, my system is able to precisely anchor small objects anywhere in the 3D soundstage - it can be small or large, depending on the actual recording. This HUGE variance in size is very hard to achieve; the diversity in color and the lack of monochromatic idiosyncrasy means very low “coloration”.

Setup above:
1st SOtM nH-10G: disconnected (and not part of the listening test)
2nd SOtM nH-10G: Farad
SOtM USBultra: PLiXiR

Last edited:

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
2020-Apr
Following my listening test above, I reconnected the second NH-10G, using the PLiXiR to power it.

My setup became:
1st SOtM nH-10G: reconnected, and powered by the Farad
2nd SOtM nH-10G: PLiXiR

A couple of days later...
Hmm. Overall, my system doesn’t sound quite “right”; the tilt went slightly past the optimal point of balancing the simple frequencies - too tilted to the bass, and as a result, sounded a bit slow/thick. Luckily, I can always reverse the DC power connections to the former set up. I think what happened is that the Farad made the USBultra move sound at the speed of light (hyper-fast), while the PLiXiR brought it down to the speed of sound (slower). More organic, perhaps, but the speed of light was more “WOW”.

Last edited:

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
2020-May

My setup was thus modified to:
1st SOtM nH-10G: PLiXiR
2nd SOtM nH-10G: Farad

Powering the 2nd NH-10G with the Farad - the air, sparkle, attack velocity, and decay diffusion is back! Very much enjoying my system now - delicate and bold when it’s needed, well balanced, and beautiful. The Farad powering the 2nd nH-10G sounds better than it powering the 1st nH-10G... verified !

My conclusion is that it’s a good thing to have (several) different high-quality DC power supplies, so that it can be placed where there’s maximum synergy, for the final tweaks and optimization. Regret that there is no easy answer.

I suspect that the Farad would be particularly good for Master Clocks, as its output noise is ultra-low, as ascertained in the Dutch magazine review. But I'm not exactly sure about its ability to swing current dynamically, as the square wave output seem flatter (?) in graph contained in the review, and for that matter, which of the various electric performance parameters matter most for network switches, and for USB conditioners. It’s all down to the audition in your particular set up.

I’m very glad I have both the double-stacked PLiXiR Elite BDCs and the Farad Super3, as they both have their particular strengths, which won’t be evident, unfortunately, until you audition them. My advice is to stay away from SMPSs, particularly the ones which have been proven to be noisy (Keces, etc.)

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Reactions: Varadero xl 1000 v

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Looking forward to hearing how it goes Varadero.
Good morning Tao.

I connected it a few hours ago. I have to burn for several hours and then do a critical hearing. Please give me some time.

IMG_20200805_151405.jpg On a small first sound, I can say that it gave more volume. Very good!! What I would also like to say is it cost me very cheap !!!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That’s great Varadero, sounds like a win win.

I used the same Oyiade connectors on my Sotm switch and also upgrading the connectors on my digital DC power cables.

Also am using AC wraps and mini wraps around all the connectors and have found this helps a lot with minimising RFI. Going with connector hazmat is a most good thing in the digital environment.

Last edited:

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
That’s great Varadero, sounds like a win win.

I used the same Oyiade connectors on my Sotm switch and also upgrading the connectors on my digital DC power cables.

Also using AC wraps around all the connectors and have found this helps a lot with minimising RFI. Going with connector hazmat is a most good thing in the digital environment.
Tao I have to leave the house, I would like some photos, I'm interested! But I will see them in the afternoon ..

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Apologies Varadero, using a protective clothing term... AC wraps and mini wraps are shielding for wrapping around connectors. It’s the only Entreq product I’ve used but they definitely help as additional shielding around power and signal connectors and they really work to cut noise in a digital setup.

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Apologies Varadero, using a protective clothing term... AC wraps and mini wraps are shielding for wrapping around connectors. It’s the only Entreq product I’ve used but they definitely help as additional shielding around power and signal connectors and they really work to cut noise in a digital setup.
... could I have a link to see the product?

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Good morning Tao.

I connected it a few hours ago. I have to burn for several hours and then do a critical hearing. Please give me some time.

View attachment 68059 On a small first sound, I can say that it gave more volume. Very good!! What I would also like to say is it cost me very cheap !!!
A brief description of how the dc cable is made: mundorf wire silver gold wire was used
https://www.mundorf.com/audio/en/shop/cables/SilverGold,Wire-2x-0,50mm/?card=2817
one of the best for this application, two per pole, As a dielectric I used a slightly larger duct to take advantage of the air benefits as a dielectric medium Made of red teflon -pvc light,

The solder I used is Mundorf 9% silver gold
https://www.bukalapak.com/p/kompute...rf-supreme-high-end-silver-solder-9-5-silver- 1-gold-half-meter? From = list-product & keyword = meter% 20timah% 20solder% 20silver & funnel = omnisearch & product_owner = normal_seller & pos = 2 & cf = 1 & ssa = 1 & sort_origin = relevansi & search_sort_default = true & promoted = 0

I preferred this solder cause, probably is the most hard solder more than any other.Also gold is the perfect match for silver gold wires. Because it has 9% silver,

I also use furutec oyaide wbt cardas wonder solder. but for this application I think is the perfect choice

A single twist I gave in the conductors so as not to increase the resistance.

?he formation of the conductors (wire) and the way of gluing them with the plugs in order to get the maximum sound effect of this construction..

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
Has anyone used the Farad super 3 to power a Roon Nucleus +? It requires 19 volts, there is some question whether its amp output will be sufficient. I am interested in obtaining two units, one for my Uptone etherregen, which needs 9 v, the other to use on my Nucleus +. Hope some users can share their experiences for this application prior to me placing an order.
Thanks much.
Bob

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Has anyone used the Farad super 3 to power a Roon Nucleus +? It requires 19 volts, there is some question whether its amp output will be sufficient. I am interested in obtaining two units, one for my Uptone etherregen, which needs 9 v, the other to use on my Nucleus +. Hope some users can share their experiences for this application prior to me placing an order.
Thanks much.
Bob
I contacted Farad in Jan 2020 to ask about the possibility of running the Nucleus Plus with the Farad Super 3 and this was their response:

"I looked up the NUC i7 board and processor TDP max is 28W (1.5A@19V). Total power they say is 65Watts, but this is included all outputs at max. I think it will work with the Super3 19V, but agree it will have to work hard.

I am now developing the Super12, 12V/12A, and if this is ready can copy this design towards the 19V, so I think it will be ready soon after. Target develop price is 1099 ex vat at this moment. From the first calculations of the Super12, i think I will make it.
"

Yet I still don't see anything about a Super 12 being available on their site. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Varadero xl 1000 v

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Thanks much.
Bob

Hi Bob:
FYI, while the DC input jacks and general spec sheets of Roon Nucleus+ and Intel NUCs (which Nucelus is based on) say 19V, the actual NUC logic board documentation shows 12~19V, and we have more that 100 owners happily powering their Nucleus+ servers with the choke-filtered, dual-output JS-2 (capable of continuous 7.4A at 12V given full 120V or 240V AC mains input).

And since the EtherREGEN is such a light load (0.8A @12V), one JS-2 can handle both your Nucleus+ and EtherREGEN.
:cool:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I second Superdad - the UpTone Audio JS-2 is an excellent dual output PSU. It can be further expanded with LPS1.2 for the EtherREGEN.
I have been using mine for over 2 years and have been always very impressed with the performance. Just another option to consider.

Reactions: Superdad

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing