Switch for streaming from NAS

ava1962

Oct 17, 2022
Hello everybody
It is my first post. I would like to ask if a switch is necessary, when someone doesn’t stream music from tidal, qobuz etc. I have the C1 and listen music only from my NAS. Will I have any improvement in the sound quality adding a switch?
Thank you very much for your answers!

ava1962

Oct 17, 2022
The NAS is connected (Ethernet cable) to a lan router ( a tp link which it is not connected to internet) and the router is connected to C1 (Ethernet cable)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The NAS is connected (Ethernet cable) to a lan router ( a tp link which it is not connected to internet) and the router is connected to C1 (Ethernet cable)
The router is acting as a switch and, in this case, I cannot see any good reason to add another.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello everybody
It is my first post. I would like to ask if a switch is necessary, when someone doesn’t stream music from tidal, qobuz etc. I have the C1 and listen music only from my NAS. Will I have any improvement in the sound quality adding a switch?
Hello ava

Welcome to the what's best forum.
I'm happy to see that Kal already answered your first question.

I hope you will enjoy participating here.

Cheers,
Christoph

Reactions: ava1962

F7007

Oct 2, 2022
Hey Kal,
Sorry to disagree. This setup would certainly benefit from using a switch between the C1 and the NAS, that is optimized for audio streaming. Like Melco S100, etc. check this site for plenty of discussion on „what is best“.
As you do not use it to connect to the Internet, just take that router out.
My advice,
Joachim

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hey Kal,
Sorry to disagree. This setup would certainly benefit from using a switch between the C1 and the NAS, that is optimized for audio streaming. Like Melco S100, etc. check this site for plenty of discussion on „what is best“.
As you do not use it to connect to the Internet, just take that router out.
My advice,
Joachim
I expected someone would disagree. :rolleyes:

F7007

Oct 2, 2022
No?
Ok, maybe the C1 can cope with any inadequateness of the audio file stream on source side… But if not… a NAS is barely optimized as audio server. Therefore, an „audiophile“ switch might have some healing effect on any NAS-introduced pertubence to the audio file data stream, more than some standard router…. I would give it a try… A nice dealer might provide a switch for ava to check for a couple of days…

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
The router is acting as a switch and, in this case, I cannot see any good reason to add another.
The LAN router is not of the highest kind, neither it nor the NAS is optimized for audio streaming as most probably both don use any kind of galvanic isolation and both pron to electric noise.

The use of an audiophile-grade switch and proper ethernet cables can reduce this noise.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I am sorry to have made comments on this issue which, I should have known, would not be readily accepted here.
The LAN router is not of the highest kind, neither it nor the NAS is optimized for audio streaming as most probably both don use any kind of galvanic isolation and both pron to electric noise.
I've heard this many times and it is possible that there may be some measurable noise that distinguishes cheezy products from quality ones. My experience is not so broad as to permit me to say it does not exist or that, in extreme cases, it is not audible. OTOH, I have not experienced it. (FWIW, my DAC is galvanically isolated and I use UTP cabling.)
The use of an audiophile-grade switch and proper ethernet cables can reduce this noise.
The use of competent components and cabling can minimize system noise. However, I do not accept the basic premise that network devices marketed as "optimized for audio" are always better for audio or, even, as good as high quality generic network devices. Consequently, I will bow out of this discussion now.

Reactions: ava1962 and Gjo

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I am sorry to have made comments on this issue which, I should have known, would not be readily accepted here.

I've heard this many times and it is possible that there may be some measurable noise that distinguishes cheezy products from quality ones. My experience is not so broad as to permit me to say it does not exist or that, in extreme cases, it is not audible. OTOH, I have not experienced it. (FWIW, my DAC is galvanically isolated and I use UTP cabling.)
It's not just measurable,its also heard, from my own experience with my and other friends' systems you can hear the difference.
any network equipment is prone to noise, as a person whose roots are deep in the IT world i also didn't think the network equipment could matter when it comes to digital audio (after all in network traffic the application layer shouldn't care about the transport layer), boy was so wrong.
The use of competent components and cabling can minimize system noise. However, I do not accept the basic premise that network devices marketed as "optimized for audio" are always better for audio or, even, as good as high quality generic network devices. Consequently, I will bow out of this discussion now.
Network devices that are built for audio usually use some tricks, for instance, some Servers\NAS use slower than usual HD, others use passive cooling as they make less electrical noise (Melco, QNAP for instance), and others use quieter PSU rather than switching power supply (SOTM, MELCO, JACT), some use better clocking (SOTM) than regular IT network equipment.

in any case, the router is prone to lots of network traffic, it is better to use different segments of your LAN, for your audio purpose as well as IT perspective.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello everybody
Hi ava1962,
Listening is believing.

Why not borrow an audiophile switch from your local dealer and try in your system?

The cost of most of the audiophile switches is only a small fraction of your C1 dac.

I'm sure you will notice the sonic diff at once.
:)

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Personally I believe an audiophile switch will make a positive impact for you but safest is to try. My first one was an old Cisco. Gave a noticeable difference. Then I upgraded to an EtherRegen. A one I can recommend. Not too expensive. As always an external power supply makes it even better. But recommend you to start without.

ava1962

Oct 17, 2022
First of all, I would like to thank all you who helped me!
I bought a SOTM switch, as well as a Ethernet cable, also SOTM (total cost about 2000€).
The overall result was audible. The quiet sound background became even quieter and the overall sound result was generally upgraded.
I think it was worth it in the end.
Thank you again all of you to take my decision!

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
First of all, I would like to thank all you who helped me!
I bought a SOTM switch, as well as a Ethernet cable, also SOTM (total cost about 2000€).
The overall result was audible. The quiet sound background became even quieter and the overall sound result was generally upgraded.
I think it was worth it in the end.
Thank you again all of you to take my decision!
Hi there,
One thing to bear in mind is that in terms of SQ improvement, the power supply for the switch often has a far greater impact than the switch itself with its standard OEM SMPS.

RideCA

Oct 18, 2021
Seattle, WA USA
At CH Precision, our experience with network streaming suggests that switch quality is definitely a factor, but far from the only factor when it comes to network hardware and construction. Switch location and power supply quality are also key considerations. The switch for the audio stream should be placed as close to the C1/C1.2 or I1 as possible. It should be fed from a good quality linear power supply and the switch itself should be properly engineered, rather than a basic unit. What we refer to as 'audio grade switches' should take care of the second two factors. Positioning is down to you and your situation/circumstances.

In the CH listening room and at shows, we generally rely on the SOtM sNH-10G switch, with its matching linear power supply. We chose this for two reasons. It is widely regarded as a benchmark product and is representative of the units used by many of our customers - so it keeps things realistic. Secondly - and more significantly - the switch can be slaved to the 10MHz output of the T1 Time Reference Master Clock, which offers a really significant sonic and musical improvement. If you already use the SOtM switch and PSU then you have already made a really good start.

Finally, it is worth pointing out that every situation and every network is different and to an extent, unpredictable. There are no guarantees when it comes to network quality or the quality of the audiostream that results. However, taking the steps outlined above will almost certainly help and will do no harm. Once the switch is located and properly fed (streaming input, power and clock frequency if possible) then it is well worth experimenting with the cabling or optical/galvanic isolation within the network.

Kevin Wolff
Head of International Sales

CH Precision Sàrl
ZI Le Tresi 6B
1028 Préverenges
Switzerland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing