Taiko Audio Extreme Router

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Indeed, but please note that fixing an IP address on one Router does not affect what another Router can do. So, the IP address will still change when switching from one router to another. In general, I would advise using DHCP and caution for assigning a fixed IP address unless one is familiar with the routine.

Christiaan, I am confused by your answer. Both one’s home router and Taiko router have to use DHCP to assign IP addresses, correct?

Second, I am suggesting that he assign a static IP address to the Taiko router on his home network, not the Taiko network. That shouldn’t affect how the Taiko router assigns IP addresses to devices on the Taiko network.

Christiaan Punter

Christiaan, I am confused by your answer. Both one’s home router and Taiko router have to use DHCP to assign IP addresses, correct?

Second, I am suggesting that he assign a static IP address to the Taiko router on his home network, not the Taiko network. That shouldn’t affect how the Taiko router assigns IP addresses to devices on the Taiko network.
Indeed, I was pointing out the same thing:) You can set any Router to assign IP addresses either via DHCP or manually specified by the user. So, you could choose DHCP for the Taiko Router and assign a fixed IP address to the Exrtreme on your home router. But I generally advise against assigning fixed IP addresses and using DHCP instead, unless the user is familiar with the process and capable of reverting should a changed situation require it.

In any case, it seems my Router is not working as it should in terms of Port Forwarding. When it works as normal I will be able to provide more straightforward information.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Indeed, I was pointing out the same thing:) You can set any Router to assign IP addresses either via DHCP or manually specified by the user. So, you could choose DHCP for the Taiko Router and assign a fixed IP address to the Exrtreme on your home router. But I generally advise against assigning fixed IP addresses and using DHCP instead, unless the user is familiar with the process and capable of reverting should a changed situation require it.

In any case, it seems my Router is not working as it should in terms of Port Forwarding. When it works as normal I will be able to provide more straightforward information.

Ahh, understood.

I don’t think you want to assign a fixed IP address to your Extreme on your home network. If anything you would want to assign a fixed IP address to your Taiko router on your home network and then use the Extreme IP address in your port forwarding rules. That’s what worked for me.

Reactions: Levitator

Christiaan Punter

Ahh, understood.

I don’t think you want to assign a fixed IP address to your Extreme on your home network. If anything you would want to assign a fixed IP address to your Taiko router on your home network and then use the Extreme IP address in your port forwarding rules. That’s what worked for me.
I now have definitive information regarding the possibilities for controlling an Extreme server connected to a Taiko Router from the home network.

With the Extreme Server connected to the Extreme Router (whether via an Extreme Switch or directly), the Taiko Router will hand out a different IP Address to the Extreme than the home Router. This matters in XDMS but not in Roon. In this situation, these are the control options:

- You can control Roon and XDMS on the Extreme Server by connecting a tablet or phone to the Taiko Router 's Taiko Wifi network. This is what we recommend as it provides the best Sound Quality.

- Thanks to Port Forwarding on the Extreme Router, you can also control Roon on the Extreme via Roon apps running on any device on the Home network. The Extreme Router will assign a new IP Address to the Extreme, but thanks to Roon's auto-connect protocol, you don't need to worry about this.

- You cannot control XDMS on the Extreme from devices connected to the Home network.

On a related note, you can only access the Extreme Server's Music folder when the remote computer is connected to the same network as the Extreme Server. So, if you want to copy music to the server, you either need to temporarily connect a computer or laptop to one of the Extreme's network ports, or you need to temporarily connect the Extreme to the home network.

I will update the Router Manual and FAQ to reflect this information.

MOTU

Oct 17, 2019
Any chance the router will be able to support 10G network at some point?

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio
Is the Router shipping schedule on track?

It’s never been on track before, but Routers will actually be in stock items from the start of February! Assuming demand doesn’t soar unexpectedly again that is. The guys are currently assembling routers ordered in 2023, I would expect everything ordered in 2024 to follow shortly.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It’s never been on track before, but Routers will actually be in stock items from the start of February! Assuming demand doesn’t soar unexpectedly again that is. The guys are currently assembling routers ordered in 2023, I would expect everything ordered in 2024 to follow shortly.
"Busy hands are happy hands"

Reactions: Taiko Audio

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
In addition to the expected increase in sound quality from the Extreme, I am very much looking forward to hearing, and seeing, potential improvements in audio and video quality from my Apple TV “X”.
If I connect ATVX’s ethernet to the Router, do I need to enable port forwarding?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Another question - the speed of the Ethernet ports is quoted as “1Gbps (but the RJ45 ports also work with 100Mb connections)”.
My Eero Max 7 has 10Gbps and 2.5Gbps. Will it work?

From the latest version of the FAQ doc.:
“What this means is that any network interfaces upstream of the Taiko Audio Extreme Switch or
Network Card, such as generic routers or switches, must be 1 Gb. For the Taiko Audio Extreme
Router, the same holds true when it concerns devices connected to its SFP/DAC port.”

So it won’t work with a modern router? Most are more than 1Gb today. As mentioned Eero Max 7 is 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps. I hope this is not the case as I will have to cancel the order.

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

In addition to the expected increase in sound quality from the Extreme, I am very much looking forward to hearing, and seeing, potential improvements in audio and video quality from my Apple TV “X”.
If I connect ATVX’s ethernet to the Router, do I need to enable port forwarding?
There should be no need to set up Port Forwarding for the ATVX.

Reactions: Zeotrope and VPN

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There should be no need to set up Port Forwarding for the ATVX.

One does not need port forwarding to stream, but if one wants to access videos, music, photos and data which are on the main network one would have to set up rules to be able to get to that information.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Another question - the speed of the Ethernet ports is quoted as “1Gbps (but the RJ45 ports also work with 100Mb connections)”.
My Eero Max 7 has 10Gbps and 2.5Gbps. Will it work?

From the latest version of the FAQ doc.:
“What this means is that any network interfaces upstream of the Taiko Audio Extreme Switch or
Network Card, such as generic routers or switches, must be 1 Gb. For the Taiko Audio Extreme
Router, the same holds true when it concerns devices connected to its SFP/DAC port.”

So it won’t work with a modern router? Most are more than 1Gb today. As mentioned Eero Max 7 is 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps. I hope this is not the case as I will have to cancel the order.

Those will work just fine at 1Gbps.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
How does the Router work with Apple TV X?
Magnificently! Even with all the work done to remove noise and reduce jitter in the ATVX, the Taiko Router takes it even further. The image looks “cleaner” and noise floor has been reduced. It’s really impressive!

I use the same system for both 2 ch music and multi-channel movies, and worked hard to try to build a world-class system for both (not easy!). It’s nice to have a dual benefit for the Taiko Router.
I can unplug the ATVX Ethernet when listening to the Extreme; but not sure it’s necessary.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Has anyone else had difficulty signing into the router settings page (192.168.100.1)?
I have entered the password many times and it's not working...
I have tried it dozens of times -- it's definitely exactly as it appears on the sticker on the underside of the router... this is getting frustrating! I cannot use it without changing the wifi channel...

EDIT: It was the Wifi password to login to the router settings page, not the "password"! Ugh. Spent way too much time trying with the non wifi password. That must have been a setup error at Taiko.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
To change the wireless channel used, I don't see a 'scan' option, so I'm unsure which channel to select. The default channel (1) interferes with other devices in the room.

EDIT: I used the Airport App and enabled wireless network scanning.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
My wireless channel issue was solved by going to Ch 13. I think 2 would have also worked. Any harm in staying on ch 13?

I also discovered that the passwords on the sticker on the bottom of the Router were wrong. The WiFi password is the router admin login password, and vice-versa. Man, I spent over an hour trying to figure it out! iOS does not give a “wrong password” error when connecting to WiFi for some reason - at least not for this device. It just tries to connect then doesn’t.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Initial impressions: WOW!
I was not expecting to hear the differences I am hearing. In word, there’s a newfound sense of Clarity.
Violin passages where the bow is rapidly moving across the strings - each note on each string is now individually distinct.
Dave Brubeck Quartet’s Flamingo has a part where the trumpet player moves his body during the recording. That was never audible before; but it’s clear now because of the change in sound level and pitch of the instrument as it moves away from the mic.
The added clarity increases the sense of realism and engagement. This is on top of the reduced noise floor. It’s a home run, I cannot believe the sonic improvement!!!

Also, this is local playback only, from the Extreme HD.
For reference: I am using a Teddy Pardo linear power supply and a Shunyata Altaira ground cable into a Signal Hub. The Taiko Switch is also powered and grounded the same way. Everything, including the Extreme and Switch, are connected to a Denali 6000 v2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing