Modded router + modded switch + Modded access point = OMG

Switch X looks very nice. Audiophile are lucky people like you make products for audio use.

How do you control your digital player without wifi ?
My iPad is hardwired connected to the router, using also a waversa filter to isolate it. My room is a sort of wifi free zone.

Thank you for your answer, that I’m partially able to understand due to my technical ignorance, for instance I wouldn’t even know how to set my router in “bridge” mode.

I recently invested my money in the NA Tempus since I had the chance to try it at home. I had several conversations with Rob, the NA co-owner, that helped me a lot understanding the product, I have been allowed also to test their Muon Pro filter in my system. The improvements I experienced were easy audible to my ears, this pushed me to make the purchases.
Can you offer a 30 day trial for the Switch X?

The NA Tempus is a old technology in several areas. It also uses internal power regulators based on switching regulation - very typical with these type devices. They do not address the noise AFTER the switched mode PWM regulators on the board feeding the chips. I do. This is a huge difference in performance.

The linear i use has noise canceling using remote sensing. It cancels noise inside the Switch X. There is no other linear doing this. This method results in 20uV RMS of noise on the DC supply and DC regulation at 0.00001Vdc max under load. These numbers cannot be reached without remote sensing. The noise canceling extends to 10Mhz. Its based on a R-Core transformer which is a next gen transformer technology. The Sean Jacobs PSU is old tech and does not use sensing / noise cancellation and because of this it cannot reach the low noise levels under load that a sensing supply can. Its typical of old school 12V supplies of years back. It also uses a toroid VS the new technology R-Core transformer which has much higher isolation.

The combo of the linear I make with a R-Core transformer, sensing 4 wire connection and impedance matching to the exact device makes for a vastly better solution.

You have a switch. The Switch X uses NAT to also work as a router. So in your case you could "bridge" your home ISP router so it does minimal processing and hook the Switch X up directly where it will act as a router.

Features and engineering of the Switch X are covered here. https://dejitterit.com/SwitchXFeatures.htm

The switch X has a 10Gbps backplane and processing power. So it is 10X more powerful and faster then the NA Tempus.

I do not see that the NA Tempus even supports AES67/Dante/Ravenna. Which is really important for the future for super high end audio. The Switch X supports 16 channels of DSD256 via Ravenna using Merging gear in studio work.

I don't see any measurements on the site of performance.

The NA Tempus does not do NAT and so cannot create a clean isolated network, not that you need one in your situation as long as the ONLY devices on this are the your audio devices and a ipad on the wireless. How do you control your digital player without wifi ?. The best way to do this is to have a special wifi access point MADE to work with / around audio gear plugged into the clean side, or at least into your switch.

The NA Tempus, and others, were good tech some years back. There are new generation devices now based on 10Gbps and better power supply solutions. ALso the future involves layer 2 protocols not just a "switch".

I realize there are bold statements. I want to allow the reviews in progress to discuss the Switch X more and then there can be more discussion. The Switch X + dedicated linear is a next gen device on many levels. I have applied all this same engineering to a house router and a DOCSIS ( cable ) modem and a ONT BGW320-505 + SFP+ fiber WAN connection. I have both fiber and DCOSIS here at my lab. So I have addressed the entire path all the way to the ISP fiber or ISP coax.

Once formal reviews come out, I will discuss more.

@Xymox its really interesting to read about what you are doing with Switch X and to get your view of what the future might hold for highend streaming, but you have made a few points regarding our tempus switch hat aren't quite right, so i hope you dont mind us jumping in here with our response:

”The switch X has a 10Gbps backplane and processing power. So it is 10X more powerful and faster then the NA Tempus” -

tempus has a 40Gbs backplane, so based on these on terms tempus is 4x more powerful and faster than switch X.

"The NA Tempus is a old technology in several areas. It also uses internal power regulators based on switching regulation - very typical with these type devices. They do not address the noise AFTER the switched mode PWM regulators on the board feeding the chips"

The onboard voltage regulation in tempus is not based on switched mode PWM regulation. It uses linear regulators that are much lower noise. That’s one of the reasons tempus sounds as good as it does.

Finally just to clarify, tempus is a managed switch that can do NAT and which can also support VLANs as well as other L2 functions. We chose not to implement many of these as currently as this not something we've found any demand for, but also becuase we want keep things fast and powerful, and sounding great, but not technically/mechanically taxing.

thank you and wish you all the best with Switch X.

NA :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu