Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Speaking of fuses ... has anyone experienced sound quality improvements using aftermarket fuses on their Extremes?

I searched through this thread but only found a few mentions of users having chosen the SR Master fuse or the Purple, but I did not find any impression about the effect of these on sonics.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
So it turned out that I did not plug the new fuse deep enough.

@EuroDriver popped up at 10.20 PM over WhatsApp and helped this dumb guy out.

How cool is a customer support like that?

Just incredible. Thanks Ed and Taiko team as always ;-)
Ciao Simone. Spero che questo ti trovi bene. Every single one of us has done dumb audio "things". Dumb non audio too!! Happy you sorted it out with Ed's help. Ed @EuroDriver is so calm with such a lovely demeanor and is so helpful. I'm sure you felt panic for a short while! That overwhelming feeling of dread when something goes wrong, or you think something is wrong...

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Speaking of fuses ... has anyone experienced sound quality improvements using aftermarket fuses on their Extremes?

I searched through this thread but only found a few mentions of users having chosen the SR Master fuse or the Purple, but I did not find any impression about the effect of these on sonics.
I did go to SR master fuses for Taiko Extreme and Sean Jacobs mini arc6 dc4 linear power supply (for Taiko dcd, router, switch).
Bug step up. Too long ago to give a detailed review, but much improved dynamics, microdynamics, emotion.
No tonal effects (which the purple has, imho).

Mike Lavigne had QSA fuses of stratospheric pricing and as you can read in these pages, he loved the effect.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
I did go to SR master fuses for Taiko Extreme and Sean Jacobs mini arc6 dc4 linear power supply (for Taiko dcd, router, switch).
Bug step up. Too long ago to give a detailed review, but much improved dynamics, microdynamics, emotion.
No tonal effects (which the purple has, imho).

Mike Lavigne had QSA fuses of stratospheric pricing and as you can read in these pages, he loved the effect.
Thanks for the feedback!

Reading SR instructions they state that their fuses are directional and that the current flow should be from the S to the R as seen in the picture below.

Screenshot_20240327_191309_Chrome.jpg

In the context of the Extreme receptacle, does that mean that the R side should point inside the server or vice versa?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thanks for the feedback!

Reading SR instructions they state that their fuses are directional and that the current flow should be from the S to the R as seen in the picture below.

View attachment 127605

In the context of the Extreme receptacle, does that mean that the R side should point inside the server or vice versa?

Yes correct, R side pointing towards the inside.

Reactions: simorag

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Is the stock Schurter fuse used in Extreme directional?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I just put a new Schurter in afew days ago after 4+ years.
Definitely smoother and maybe a bit fuller body

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Just read a review on the various iterations of the QSA fuses. Assuming the pricing info is accurate, they appear to have five offerings ranging from $28.50 to $2,844 per fuse.

Last edited:

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Can someone be post what stock fuse the Extreme uses and will it be the same for Olympus and IO

The stock fuse for the Extreme is a Schurter 2A T (slow blow) 5 x 20mm (ref. 0001.2707.11). Can't say about the Olympus.

Edit: as per Emile message below, the 2A T is for 220V, while 4A T is for 110V applications.

Attachments

• typ_SMD-SPT.pdf
    417.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback!

Those fuses indeed exhibit a preferred direction, and typically, one orientation tends to yield better sound quality. Interestingly, some users have reported that SR fuses can sound noticeably better, when installed with the "S" side pointing towards the inside. However, it's not impossible that these specific fuses may have been used previously in another device, as Emile has noticed that they (the Schurter at least) become directional after burn-in.

Regardless of the reason, since it's incredibly easy to flip them, I'd suggest giving it a try in both directions to ensure you're not missing out on optimal performance (unless Emile confirms this operation will reduce the optimal directional effect).

When new, remember to account for the potential burn-in time for the fuse (and the server warmed up properly) before determining which orientation sounds best. Assure proper seating of the fuse and clean contacts. Additionally, over time, some users have experienced a relative improvement (or regain) in SQ by cleaning the fuse contacts.

Last edited:
Reactions: engadin and simorag

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Alright, I know we all have said it, but Taiko customer service is so above and beyond.
Stirling Trayle visiting today after booking months ago for speaker placement optimization. (Such a nice and obviously knowledgeable guy btw).

We were having some difficulty uploading some of his key test tracks onto the Extreme (I hadn't done that in awhile), which was making me a bit nervous! Reached out and there is Ed, no doubt late in his evening, on the phone helping us get the tracks to where they needed to be so Stirling could start working his magic. So cool to see Stirling and Ed meet too.

Thank you Taiko and Ed!!!! and I am so excited to hear how much better my system might sound later today to take true advantage of all the Taiko products here. Take care everyone,

Last edited:

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Alright, I know we all have said it, but Taiko customer service is so above and beyond.
Stirling Trayle visiting today after booking months ago for speaker placement optimization. (Such a nice and obviously knowledgeable guy btw).

We were having some difficulty uploading some of his key test tracks onto the Extreme (I hadn't done that in awhile), which was making me a bit nervous! Reached out and there is Ed, no doubt late in his evening, on the phone helping us get the tracks to where they needed to be so Stirling could start working his magic. So cool to see Stirling and Ed meet too.

Thank you Taiko and Ed!!!! and I am so excited to hear how much better my system might sound later today to take true advantage of all the Taiko products here. Take care everyone,
Not surprised to hear about Ed's readiness to be of help. Given his all hours availability I sometimes wonder if he is Taiko-developed AI. But then, he has too much personality for that to be true :) Love to hear your impressions after Stirling's visit!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hey guys. I’m drooling reading about all things Taiko. My wife and I are in Japan for 2 weeks prior to the Taiko shipping dates. As beautiful as all of these cherry blossom trees are the images of all things new at Taiko is true eye candy. Looking forward to the alert telling me a shipment is on the way IMG_4636.jpeg
IMG_4636.jpeg IMG_4638.jpeg IMG_4637.jpeg IMG_4642.jpeg IMG_4641.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing