Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
i don't know, what i don't know.

it's not about 'good enough', or not 'needing to change'. my head is not in the sand. but i'll never be one of those who is trying to understand the little steps of digital network evolution. i will, OTOH, wet my finger, raise it, and see whether the breeze of change is strong enough to act.

these network changes are so easy and cheap....almost relatively free. if it's a clear step......once a year i will act. i do want better when i can get it.

i've invested in the best possible foundation for my digital, it deserves to be kept optimal.

Really well said. Often we are unaware of "noise" that's present until something comes along later that strips that noise away.

Per Webster's, noise can be defined as "any sound that is undesired" or "an unwanted signal or a disturbance in an electronic device". It seems to me that Steve W has been talking about the former as he keeps coming to back saying that he hasn't noticed anything amiss. Improving our networks is aimed more at addressing the latter though. The goal is to remove unwanted signals or disturbances our network passes onto our gear that can degrade audio performance. We tend not to know how much harm is being done until something comes along that attenuates or eliminates the unwanted signal or disturbance.

I really don't understand the logic in investing mega bucks on a server and then slightly hindering it by not taking steps to address signals or disturbances that could be passed to it via the network - especially when "these network changes are so easy and cheap".

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
My .02 cents.....

My system(s) were sounding VG about a week ago. Although because of the "network conversations" in this thread I started to think about "my network". I really had ignored it completely after putting in the Startech/FO about a year ago. I was TOTALLY satisfied with my sound with my network as is.

Last week I decided to "investigate my network". I have Verzon Fios/FO coming into my studio and it terminated close to the entrance. Verizon Fios utilizes a box/modem that accepts the FO input from the street and then sends out phone/video/internet. The Ethernet is connected to a Verizon Router.

A week ago I had the Verizon modem/router connecting via a 1' Lan cable into a Startech device and then a 50' FO run, the other end terminated directly into the Extreme.

Somewhere in this thread someone, maybe by the vulnerable Romaz, maybe someone else, mentioned they preferred copper/LAN cable to the FO. I thought that to be strange BUT it stuck with me. Just for the heck of it, I decided to switch back to cheap 50' run of copper/LAN cable. I was very surprised to find that in my system, to my room, with my "OLD" ears, I preferred the copper vs. the FO. It was more dynamic and I did not notice any deficiencies. It was a difference easily heard.

So, I decided to switch back to copper. I decided to get a 50' good quality LAN cable. I ordered a good quality 50' LAN cable and then that night decided to dig into my mess of cables/router that were buried to see how I would route the new incoming LAN cable. When I made this MUCH TO MY SURPRISE I found about 50' of the Verizon Fios FO cable that when initially installed they just rolled up a 50' run probably in case I wanted to relocate the router. I WAS FILLED WITH JOY.

The next day it took me FIVE HOURS of digging out wires and relocating my Verizon Fios Box and Verizon router to within a few feet from the Extreme. I plugged in a good quality 2' LAN cable from the router into the EXTREME.

SONIC EXPLOTION. SONIC EXPLOTION. SONIC EXPLOTION.

I can't and won't even try and explain the difference but in my room/system/ears this was as major of an upgrade as maybe I have ever heard. Garden hose>>>FIRE HOSE. ALL Positives, NO negatives.

That's where I am at right now, BUT I know from Emile that the JCAT Gold Switch is a "goodie". I have one on order to put between my router and the Extreme. Should be here in 3 weeks. (if they are delivering in 3 weeks, all non-essential businesses in NYC are now closed)

I would love an upgraded router vs. the Verizon router routerVerizon/support I run my business with the ethernet/video/phone and I have decided to just keep their router( I really want a better one...BUT) I need their quick support if I ever have an issue and Verizon will only support their routers. The sound is SO GOOD right now, that I feel that with all of the other additives I can live with the router as is.

I did order a good LPS for the Verizon router, that is as far as I will go with the router.

Mark from Sablon also shipped my one of his USB Cables that I am going to try directly from the Extreme to my AF xHD DAC. I am going to compare this with my current Intona Ultimate usb>>>usb isolater>>>>Intonoa Ultimate>>>Extreme.

My point is that you may think you have it all. I did. But it does not hurt to experiment. My biggest upgrade was being able to run my modem from 50' away to 2' away from the Extreme. I'm also totally amazed that I prefer the copper vs. FO, but I do. YMMV.....most certainly.

Stay safe and Be well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I have had countless people in this thread telling me what I need to change in my network and TBH sonically I just don’t feel the need. All these things do is tune your system and I’m betting that what you have already done is unbeatable

Steve, streamer through network is not anyway perfect - there is still a significant difference in my system between the same file played by streamer and a PCIe file stored in the Extreme or the Vivaldi transport. IMHO this opens the door to experiences with network , particularly as in this case we can easily compare with a better sounding reference.

Did you carry a direct comparison between the same recordings in streamer and PCIe in your system?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
My .02 cents.....

My system(s) were sounding VG about a week ago. Although because of the "network conversations" in this thread I started to think about "my network". I really had ignored it completely after putting in the Startech/FO about a year ago. I was TOTALLY satisfied with my sound with my network as is.

Last week I decided to "investigate my network". I have Verzon Fios/FO coming into my studio and it terminated close to the entrance. Verizon Fios utilizes a box/modem that accepts the FO input from the street and then sends out phone/video/internet. The Ethernet is connected to a Verizon Router.

A week ago I had the Verizon modem/router connecting via a 1' Lan cable into a Startech device and then a 50' FO run, the other end terminated directly into the Extreme.

Somewhere in this thread someone, maybe by the vulnerable Romaz, maybe someone else, mentioned they preferred copper/LAN cable to the FO. I thought that to be strange BUT it stuck with me. Just for the heck of it, I decided to switch back to cheap 50' run of copper/LAN cable. I was very surprised to find that in my system, to my room, with my "OLD" ears, I preferred the copper vs. the FO. It was more dynamic and I did not notice any deficiencies. It was a difference easily heard.

So, I decided to switch back to copper. I decided to get a 50' good quality LAN cable. I ordered a good quality 50' LAN cable and then that night decided to dig into my mess of cables/router that were buried to see how I would route the new incoming LAN cable. When I made this MUCH TO MY SURPRISE I found about 50' of the Verizon Fios FO cable that when initially installed they just rolled up a 50' run probably in case I wanted to relocate the router. I WAS FILLED WITH JOY.

The next day it took me FIVE HOURS of digging out wires and relocating my Verizon Fios Box and Verizon router to within a few feet from the Extreme. I plugged in a good quality 2' LAN cable from the router into the EXTREME.

I can't and won't even try and explain the difference but in my room/system/ears this was as major of an upgrade as maybe I have ever heard. Garden hose>>>FIRE HOSE. ALL Positives, NO negatives.

That's where I am at right now, BUT I know from Emile that the JCAT Gold Switch is a "goodie". I have one on order to put between my router and the Extreme. Should be here in 3 weeks. (if they are delivering in 3 weeks, all non-essential businesses in NYC are now closed)

I would love an upgraded router vs. the Verizon router routerVerizon/support I run my business with the ethernet/video/phone and I have decided to just keep their router( I really want a better one...BUT) I need their quick support if I ever have an issue and Verizon will only support their routers. The sound is SO GOOD right now, that I feel that with all of the other additives I can live with the router as is.

I did order a good LPS for the Verizon router, that is as far as I will go with the router.

Mark from Sablon also shipped my one of his USB Cables that I am going to try directly from the Extreme to my AF xHD DAC. I am going to compare this with my current Intona Ultimate usb>>>usb isolater>>>>Intonoa Ultimate>>>Extreme.

My point is that you may think you have it all. I did. But it does not hurt to experiment. My biggest upgrade was being able to run my modem from 50' away to 2' away from the Extreme. I'm also totally amazed that I prefer the copper vs. FO, but I do. YMMV.....most certainly.

Stay safe and Be well.

RU talking about the FIOS GPON or FIOS router?? As far as I know the FIOE Router has no fiber inputs or outputs..So what exactly did u move?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
RU talking about the FIOS GPON or FIOS router?? As far as I know the FIOE Router has no fiber inputs or outputs..So what exactly did u move?

I moved both The FIOS GPON, which accepts the FO from the street and the router which connects to the router via a LAN cable and a Coax as well.

The only reason I was able to move the both pieces was that they had left me the 50' of fiber cable. I just disconnected the FO cable from the GPON and then stretched the Verizon FO cable the 50' back to where the Extreme was located.

The connection between the Verizon router will be Router>>>JCAT lan cabe>>>JCAT Gold switch>>>>JCAT lan cable>>>Extreme.

I had always thought of doing this, but I would have had to call the Verizon tech guys to come out and I did not want them doing work in my listening room.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I moved both The FIOS GPON, which accepts the FO from the street and the router which connects to the router via a LAN cable and a Coax as well.

The only reason I was able to move the both pieces was that they had left me the 50' of fiber cable. I just disconnected the FO cable from the GPON and then stretched the Verizon FO cable the 50' back to where the Extreme was located.

The connection between the Verizon router will be Router>>>JCAT lan cabe>>>JCAT Gold switch>>>>JCAT lan cable>>>Extreme.

I had always thought of doing this, but I would have had to call the Verizon tech guys to come out and I did not want them doing work in my listening room.

It is remarkable that your configuration is very similar to Emiles best sounding configuration from his post #2688. So it appears to me that the Extreme sounds best when directly feeded with UHQ copper and not fiber.

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It is remarkable that your configuration is very similar to Emiles best sounding configuration from his post #2688. So it appears to me that the Extreme sounds best when directly feeded with UHQ copper and not fiber.

Matt

Well, I'm definitely an "Emile Groupie"....he's a "Rockstar" in my book. I do keep tabs on what he does.....it's worked so far:)

I think Emile actually told me that none of these network or even Extreme to DAC connections/devices provide absolutes regarding sonics. They definitely sound different and allow one to tune their system to their sonic preferences.

I'm sort of amazed that there is a sonic difference between Copper and FO and not that I don't understand, I do, BUT the difference I heard with going from 50' FO/Startech BACK to 2' copper amazed me. It made MUCH more of difference to me than changing dacs.

The dacs all sound different, BUT if they are a decent dac, then with the Extreme they all can get your foot tappin'. The cable change in my situation actually was comparable to changing from a mediocre sounding amp to a top tier amp. Big difference. AND IT WAS FREE. All I had to do was stretch out the Verizon FO cable to it's full length vs. being rolled up.

I have not only enjoyed digital more than I ever have since the Extreme arrival, but my personal musical appreciation and listening experience has GONE OFF THE CHARTS.

The combo of the Extreme with whatever dac AND with whatever network connections has allowed me to enjoy listening to music and forgetting about the system. The last two nights I was listening to "Pet Sounds". I can't even describe how much I enjoyed it.

Then either from Emile or my recent network "adventure" ,that came from this thread, I end up doing the next comparison - usb cables, FO/Copper, etc and if it sounds better to me in my systems then that's how things stay until the next "experiment" arrives on the horizon. Sort of what we all do:)

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
@oldmustang thank you for sharing.

As far as I've kept track, from e-mail feedback and this thread, I'm counting 7 in favour of Planet Tech and 2 in favour of Startech. Statistically it seems to be a winner!

@dminches Naturally we're not twiddling our thumbs, we are researching some very exciting new technologies on multiple fronts, but this will all take quite some time to come to fruition!

Thank you, Emile and Kingsrule. My pleasure to be able to share.

Steve Z

wil

Jul 22, 2015
My .02 cents.....

Stay safe and Be well.

Bob, thanks for your report. I'm trying to understand the significance of your changes.

--First you had 50' of fiber optic from the Verizon modem and router to your Extreme?

--Then you found 50' more of fiber to run close to the Extreme? (Didn't you already have fiber running all the way to the Extreme?). Am I mis-reading this?

-- Then you ran the fiber to your router within 2' of the Extreme and connected copper to the Extreme.

So, it sounds like the essential change was switching from:

-- modem/router > 50' fiber > Extreme. to....

-- modem > 50' fiber > router > 2' copper > Extreme. ?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

If I understand Bob correctly, he was switching to:

-- fiber from the street > modem > router > 2' copper > Extreme

All he had to do was stretch out the Verizon FO cable to it's full length vs. being rolled up.

Then when the new switch arrives the connection between the Verizon router will be:

-- router > JCAT lan cabe > JCAT Gold switch > JCAT lan cable > Extreme.

The gain was that he got rid of two additional conversions from copper to fiber with the Startech FMC and fiber to copper back in the Extreme.

Matt

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, thanks for your report. I'm trying to understand the significance of your changes.

Hi Wil, Noted below I know it's confusing:)

--First you had 50' of fiber optic from the Verizon modem and router to your Extreme?

>>>>Yes, when I first installed the Extreme I immediately installed FO/Startech and it was like this for the last year.

--Then you found 50' more of fiber to run close to the Extreme? (Didn't you already have fiber running all the way to the Extreme?). Am I mis-reading this?

>>>>Good question. When Verizon originally installed (5+ years ago) my Fios 50' away from where the Extreme was installed they normally would have terminated THEIR FO cable that goes into their GPON. BUT as I found out last week they did not cut the FO cable and terminate it. They rolled up a 50'+ roll of the FO and left it sitting on the floor behind a bunch of stuff. I never knew it was there until I looked last week.

So, I have always had that 50' run of the Verizon FO cable in my equation, I just didn't know it. Yes I was then running another 50' of FO/Startech back to the Extreme. The big difference is that I was running that 50' of MY FO cable FROM THE MODEM to the Extreme.

What I changed was that I unrolled the Verizon 50' back close to the Extreme and connected it to the Verizon GPON and then the Router which is next to the GPON (Verizon uses a GPON/Router two box set up). Then I ran a short 2' copper lan cable from the Router directly into the Extreme.

Then you ran the fiber to your router within 2' of the Extreme and connected copper to the Extreme.

>>>>YES.

What changed was the cable from the router to the Extreme from a 50' run of FO/Startech to a 2' run of good quality copper lan cable.

-- Then you ran the fiber to your router within 2' of the Extreme and connected copper to the Extreme.

>>>>YES.

Not exactly. I now have that 50' of VERIZON FO cable running to the modem (It's called a GPON with Verizon) from the street. So it's Verizon FO>>>> GPON>>>Router with a 1' lan cable>>>>Router 2' lan cable >>>>directly into the Extreme.

In a few weeks I will adding the JCAT Gold Switch in between the router and the Extreme with two JCAT high quality copper lan cables that come with the JCAT Gold Switch.

Reactions: onsionsi

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If I understand Bob correctly, he was switching to:

-- fiber from the street > modem > router > 2' copper > Extreme

All he had to do was stretch out the Verizon FO cable to it's full length vs. being rolled up.

Then when the new switch arrives the connection between the Verizon router will be:

-- router > JCAT lan cabe > JCAT Gold switch > JCAT lan cable > Extreme.

The gain was that he got rid of two additional conversions from copper to fiber with the Startech FMC and fiber to copper back in the Extreme.

Matt

Yes Matt, you got it. I'm not even sure "I got it";)

I think what made the big sonic difference was getting rid of the router having to drive 50' of Startech/FO when the Verizon FO was already in the equation anyway. Now the router is only driving 2" of copper vs that 50' of Startech/FO.

I could come out of my Router now with a 1' copper/lan cable into the Startech and then run a 1' FO cable directly into the Extreme. I sort of did the copper VS the FO cable comparison with going back and forth between the 50' copper lan and the 50' Startech/FO.

They both sounded very good, but I feel the copper to be more dynamic for who knows what exact reason. AND I want to be able to use the JCAT Gold switch in between the router and the Extreme which I could not do if I used the FO input of the Extreme.

Again what I discovered for me in my system is that I preferred the copper to the FO, BUT I believe that it has to do with the distances involved as well as the difference in the sonics of the two set-ups.

I don't think one way or the other is better or correct, they are just different and I happen to prefer the one way at this time.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Yes Matt, you got it. I'm not even sure "I got it";)

I think what made the big sonic difference was getting rid of the router having to drive 50' of Startech/FO when the Verizon FO was already in the equation anyway. Now the router is only driving 2" of copper vs that 50' of Startech/FO.

I could dome out of my Router now with a 1' copper/lan cable into the Startech and then run a 1' FO cable directly into the Extreme. I sort of did the copper VS the FO cable comparison with going back and forth between the 50' copper lan and the 50' Startech/FO.

They both sounded very good, but I feel the copper to be more dynamic for who knows what exact reason. AND I want to be able to use the JCAT Gold switch in between the router and the Extreme which I could not do if I used the FO input of the Extreme.

Again what I discovered for me in my system is that I preferred the copper to the FO, BUT I believe that it has to do with the distances involved as well as the difference in the sonics of the two set-ups.

I don't think one way or the other is better or correct, they are just different and I happen to prefer the one way at this time.

Bob congrats,
now you have the best of both worlds:
Short copper connections and no additional conversions to fiber and back.

I remember a post from Mark @Sablon Audio who mentioned that WiFi sounds better than 20m of his LAN cable.
So for me it would be nice to know how a very good WiFi6 system like ARRIS AX11000 would compare.

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob congrats,
now you have the best of both worlds:
Short copper connections and no additional conversions to fiber and back.

I remember a post from Mark @Sablon Audio who mentioned that WiFi sounds better than 20m of his LAN cable.
So for me it would be nice to know how a very good WiFi6 system like ARRIS AX11000 would compare.

Matt

thx Matt, Yes I'm a happy camper.

What I realize now is that each component and cable before the Extreme can change the sound just like every component and cable after the Extreme changes the sound.

I was not at that point prior to these experiments. I thought that as long as the network cabling and router/modem-GPON were connected there was not a huge sonic difference other than maybe I thought the FO knocked out noise from the incoming signal.

I WAS always curious if different routers/modems etc would make a difference. I'm sure that I could get a better sounding router, BUT as I said I can't afford to do that and not have Verizon easy no questions or issues asked support, which you run into if you use a non provided Verizon router IF you have any problems with your phone, tv or internet.

Reactions: matthias

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
My .02 cents.....

Stay safe and Be well.

For some reason the system will not let me edit this post. I said Somewhere in this thread someone, maybe by the vulnerable Romaz, It was supposed to be venerable.....spell check got me:)

Reactions: ctydwn

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What does you network look like, Mike? What kind of Internet do you have? And what devices, cables, power supplies, etc. do you have between your Internet handoff and the Extreme?

pretty much like this from Emile's post #656 from June 28th of last year. i had made those upgrades a month prior to that post.....and so i just figured it was now time to ask the question whether i needed to consider any changes.......YET.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-33#post-584185

copied below for easy reference.

+ my Gobel Lachorde USB -> MSB Pro USB from Extreme to dac and my Sablon LAN cable from my NAS to my Startech FMC upstairs. my internet is high speed FO broad band from Xfinity/Comcast. i could get the spec if you were interested. my network engineer son says it's pretty fast......whatever that means.

can't recall whether my LAN switches are upgraded. maybe they are. my Extreme and dac are in room, the FO cable goes in a conduit to the FMC upstairs in my barn next to my NAS. my files are on the PCIe drives inside the Extreme in room, but the back ups are in the NAS as well as a mirroring NAS in my house.

It can be quite easy:

Most of the Extreme owners use this:

Shopping list:
1 x Startech ET91000SFP2 Fiber Media Converter
2 x Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Modules
1 x Fiber cable at needed length, 9/125 OS2 low loss quality, LC connectors on both sides

Setup:
1) connect the Startech ET91000SFP2 Fiber Media Converter to either main switch or ISP router with a copper UTP cable
2) insert 1 Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Module into the Startech ET91000SFP2 FMC SFP slot
3) insert 1 Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Module into the Extreme SFP slot
4) connect Fiber cable to the SFP modules mentioned in Step 2 and 3

All of them are thrilled with the improvement over a regular copper UTP cable between server and switch or ISP router, none of them had any issues getting it to work.

COMPLETELY optional tweaks:
-Replace FMC power supply with a high quality LPS
-Replace Ethernet copper cable from FMC to switch/ISP router with an audiophile version of your choice
-Replace Switch (if used) with an audiophile version
-Replace Switch and/or ISP router powersupplies with a high quality LPS

I highlighted COMPLETELY because most are already so satisfied with the performance at this stage they are not that eager to try and squeeze out more.

i'm thrilled with my digital all the way around, files and streaming, but don't know what i don't know.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing