Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

A few more send in feedback after this post, updated numbers, format adjusted for clarity:

Audiophile switch preferred by a large degree: 4%
Audiophile switch preferred by a small degree: 12%
"Cheap" standard switch preferred over an audiophile switch: 44%
"Cheap" standard switch preferred over direct connection to router (did not try an audiophile switch): 28%
Direct connection to router preferred: 12%
Unshielded cat5 or 6 cable preferred over "shielded?" audiophile cable: 94%
Copper preferred over fiber: 100%
Emile, will the new network card make a profit in SQ with any switch, or only with the new Taiko Switch?

Emile, will the new network card make a profit in SQ with any switch, or only with the new Taiko Switch?
I will venture an educated guess that it will matter with any switch but will be ideal with the Taiko switch.

...it seems reasonable (to me) the most highly optimized, tightly integrated audio ecosystem stands to be all Taiko: router//switch//network card/Extreme. Controlling the signal path like that you can get what you want -and- what you need.

That said, I think the question many in the community will have is regarding the complete chain vs. just switch, just NIC, etc.

It's not possible to test every permutation/brand available, but if there are characteristics or technical requirements that are required for great performance with a mix of components, or to best integrate with new Taiko products, that might be helpful to know. I suspect some of that data may actually be generated by the diversity of the community itself. Can't wait!

...it seems reasonable (to me) the most highly optimized, tightly integrated audio ecosystem stands to be all Taiko: router//switch//network card/Extreme. Controlling the signal path like that you can get what you want -and- what you need.

That said, I think the question many in the community will have is regarding the complete chain vs. just switch, just NIC, etc.

It's not possible to test every permutation/brand available, but if there are characteristics or technical requirements that are required for great performance with a mix of components, or to best integrate with new Taiko products, that might be helpful to know. I suspect some of that data may actually be generated by the diversity of the community itself. Can't wait!
You're quite right in that assessment, MarkusBarkus! And indeed the users on this forum make a superb source of information on so many levels. That said, I'm sure Emile will be forthcoming with more specifics regarding the effects of the individual elements as soon as he can find the time to do so:).

Hey everyone,

For my first post I just wanted to say "Hi" - I've been lurking here for a while and recently placed my order for an Extreme, which should be delivered in early June.

This respectful and discerning community and your obvious acclaim for the Extreme and the Taiko crew was a huge factor in my decision to take the plunge, thank you - I'm very excited to hear it, and the forthcoming hardware products and software updates.

Cheers!

Oh, it's absolutely a Roon issue:) A library issue like this happens now and then (on the Grimm and the Antipodes servers alike) and I'm just leaving some room that it's not necessarily always associated with the same problem. In any case, a server restart or even only a restart of the Roon component, can often fix it.
Some had success with Merge Albums, then deleting the duplicate tracks (which didn't exist). Some had success selecting the albums and choosing Rescan Album. And others had success by shutting down Roon Server while importing albums. But none were 100% successful.

From Roon Support six days ago: "Just wanted to let everyone know that we’ve isolated the root cause of this issue and are working on a fix. I’m not comfortable providing a firm timeline just yet, but it will be soon."

...it seems reasonable (to me) the most highly optimized, tightly integrated audio ecosystem stands to be all Taiko: router//switch//network card/Extreme.
Not too long ago there was a night ... enjoying the music while sipping a Negroni ... when my imagination expanded that ecosystem to include a Taiko DAC within the Extreme or connected. And I blame the Negroni!

Last edited:
A few more send in feedback after this post, updated numbers, format adjusted for clarity:

Audiophile switch preferred by a large degree: 4%
Audiophile switch preferred by a small degree: 12%
"Cheap" standard switch preferred over an audiophile switch: 44%
"Cheap" standard switch preferred over direct connection to router (did not try an audiophile switch): 28%
Direct connection to router preferred: 12%
Unshielded cat5 or 6 cable preferred over "shielded?" audiophile cable: 94%
Copper preferred over fiber: 100%
I had a spare hour or so today so took the opportunity to replace my Sablon > Fibre > Sablon link between Router and Extreme hoping for a generous uptick in sound quality. It wasn't to be with a thinning of the sound and more ‘noise’. I suspect I need a switch somewhere in the path but for now I’m sticking with fibre to span between floors, that is until the Taiko switch is launched.

Blue58

Reactions: Sablon Audio
I had a spare hour or so today so took the opportunity to replace my Sablon > Fibre > Sablon link between Router and Extreme hoping for a generous uptick in sound quality. It wasn't to be with a thinning of the sound and more ‘noise’. I suspect I need a switch somewhere in the path but for now I’m sticking with fibre to span between floors, that is until the Taiko switch is launched.

Blue58
I continue to find a small preference for leaving the 80' fiber in from the router to switch, with Sablon copper from switch to Extreme. It's a little more incisive than the UTP copper from router to switch. The Sonore optical module just before the fiber run is probably a plus also. All bet's will be off, of course, after new network card and switch.

Hey everyone,

For my first post I just wanted to say "Hi" - I've been lurking here for a while and recently placed my order for an Extreme, which should be delivered in early June.

This respectful and discerning community and your obvious acclaim for the Extreme and the Taiko crew was a huge factor in my decision to take the plunge, thank you - I'm very excited to hear it, and the forthcoming hardware products and software updates.

Cheers!
Welcome! This party has been going on for some time and shows no signs of stopping. Glad you could join it!

Steve Z

Not too long ago there was a night ... enjoying the music while sipping a Negroni ... when my imagination expanded that ecosystem to include a Taiko DAC ... within the Extreme or connected. And I blame the Negroni!
I would absolutely get in line to buy a Taiko DAC.

From your lips, er, keyboard to Emile's ears!

Steve Z

Very early hours, already in awe :eek:

bach-passion.png

Exploring the space between the individual singers of the choir in the opening track has never been so easy and natural, the ambience reverberation and atmospherics are so rich (of color and information), especially apparent during arias and recitativos ...

It seems that the burn-in is not going to be THAT painful after all :p

I had read it here in the forum several times, but until today it has not occurred to me to put it into practice: I have deactivated the 5 Ghz Wifi of my Modem-Router and it really is a good improvement in the naturalness (reduction of digital stress) of the sound.

Kris, network cards? Who supplies the IP address to the iPAD? Do you do a bridge between LAN ports?
I can do it but, connecting the iPAD to a switch. Thanks.
Yes something like this below :
you need the ethernet (rj45) on one end and lightning on the other end .

Attachments

• 95552A27-B258-4355-A6D5-1829237AEA92.jpeg
    95552A27-B258-4355-A6D5-1829237AEA92.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 6E92A80F-CEC1-431D-914A-2551C0DB2F7F.jpeg
    6E92A80F-CEC1-431D-914A-2551C0DB2F7F.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: kyoya78
Yes something like this below :
you need the ethernet (rj45) on one end and lightning on the other end .
Yes Kris, I know and I have similar one too. My point is where do you connect it, and why did you mention the need for network cards? All I need and use, is a switch. Thanks.

I had read it here in the forum several times, but until today it has not occurred to me to put it into practice: I have deactivated the 5 Ghz Wifi of my Modem-Router and it really is a good improvement in the naturalness (reduction of digital stress) of the sound.
I was saying many times that wifi is BAD. Especially 5ghz.
if you have to have wifi than 2,4 is much less destructive.
but with that you need TotalDAC ethernet cable that significantly reduces the noise passing from access point.

I am glad you like it !

Reactions: Armsan
Yes Kris, I know and I have similar one too. My point is where do you connect it, and why did you mention the need for network cards? All I need and use, is a switch. Thanks.
Well, on both pictures I sent you ARE network cards.
I grab the ethernet cable and connect ipad / phone via this network cards to the swich
Or direct to router.

Reactions: Armsan
Well, on both pictures I sent you ARE network cards.
I grab the ethernet cable and connect ipad / phone via this network cards to the swich
Or direct to router.
OK, you call that network cards. I thought you were referring NICs, to install in the Extreme.
Another way, without the use of the switch, is to configure a LAN bridge between the two Extreme NICs but, Emile told me that had a negative interference in SQ.

OK, you call that network cards. I thought you were referring NICs, to install in the Extreme.
Another way, without the use of the switch, is to configure a LAN bridge between the two Extreme NICs but, Emile told me that had a negative interference in SQ.
we have 2 network connectors in Extreme. Lan 1 and lan 2.
lan 1 should be dedicated to get the files from internet.
you can try to connect a second swich to the lan 2 and use it for wired remote control only.
this also improves the sound.
by doing this we can have almost zero packets passing via audio dedicated lan 1 during playback.

Reactions: kyoya78
Some had success with Merge Albums, then deleting the duplicate tracks (which didn't exist). Some had success selecting the albums and choosing Rescan Album. And others had success by shutting down Roon Server while importing albums. But none were 100% successful.
Roon Labs: Just wanted to let everyone know that this issue has been fixed in build 918. If you continue to have issues please let us know.

Importing Local Album Bug - Split Tracks

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing