Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Forget the gear, I would visit just for the sausages!:)
I’d visit for the beer!
Then the sausages…
But I’m from Wisconsin so that’s an easy sell.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
274192F7-CDB6-4C34-AA78-83437BB7790A.jpeg

Goodmorning!

The top PCB is a DC input powersupply enabling the useage of an external powersupply. This utilises GaN (Gallium Nitrate) Fets, can supply up to 11.500 watts and run cool while doing it. Obviously this is overkill, but overkill is sortoff our thing I guess.

The middle PCB is a BMS (Battery Management System), this allows the usage of a battery pack to power the top DC input powersupply. Why did we go through the trouble of designing this while a BMS is widely available and/or included in virtually every battery pack? Because they sound bad and severely degrade battery supply audio performance to below an elaborate high-end AC-DC supply, that is now no longer the case.

The bottom PCB is a battery charger / controller with a remote control interface controlling the BMS.

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
View attachment 92967

Goodmorning!

The top PCB is a DC input powersupply enabling the useage of an external powersupply. This utilises GaN (Gallium Nitrate) Fets, can supply up to 11.500 watts and run cool while doing it. Obviously this is overkill, but overkill is sortoff our thing I guess.

The middle PCB is a BMS (Battery Management System), this allows the usage of a battery pack to power the top DC input powersupply. Why did we go through the trouble of designing this while a BMS is widely available and/or included in virtually every battery pack? Because they sound bad and severely degrade battery supply audio performance to below an elaborate high-end AC-DC supply, that is now no longer the case.

The bottom PCB is a battery charger / controller with a remote control interface controlling the BMS.
Not sure how, where and to what components these beauties will be attached, but I just love the fact that it will result in even more sonic marvels for all of us!

Reactions: Bobvin

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
View attachment 92967

Goodmorning!

Are the plans clear regarding how above Next Gen Technology maps to the Products?

That is, will the above Next Gen be applicable to our current Extremes as an upgrade/extension OR will the Next Gen only be compatible with a not yet announced Extreme v2?

Related question - is the plan to power entire Extreme via battery or selected parts/rails?
Would require a very large battery to be present in our listening rooms...

If entire Extreme is powered via battery - will you do some trade-in of current Extreme's power solution? (Seems very wasteful to have that just sitting un-used as it likely accounts for a large parts cost of Extreme and could be re-purposed in other, non battery powered Extremes).

Last edited:
Reactions: MusicFellow

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Are the plans clear regarding how above Next Gen Technology maps to the Products?

That is, will the above Next Gen be applicable to our current Extremes as an upgrade/extension OR will the Next Gen only be compatible with a not yet announced Extreme v2?

Related question - is the plan to power entire Extreme via battery or selected parts/rails?
Would require a very large battery to be present in our listening rooms...

If entire Extreme is powered via battery - will you do some trade-in of current Extreme's power solution? (Seems very wasteful to have that just sitting un-used as it likely accounts for a large parts cost of Extreme and could be re-purposed in other, non battery powered Extremes).

The top PCB fits into the Extreme after which it can be powered by either moving its existing powersupply to an external box, or by an external battery supply. Naturally our upgrade at price differential guarantee applies. We are investigating doing on site upgrades when the time comes and are talking to an interested party for the US right now.

I should add that the world supply situation and energy cost not only affects material availability and pricing but manufacturing availability and cost is changing aswell. Therefor we are working on providing alternative casework for the Extreme environment, the Extreme as it exists right now, in its current package is going to see a significant price raise, we have been postponing this for a long time now but it‘s looking increasingly unavoidable.

Last edited:

Nsxturbo

Aug 17, 2020
The top PCB fits into the Extreme after which it can be powered by either moving its existing powersupply to an external box, or by an external battery supply. Naturally our upgrade at price differential guarantee applies. We are investigating doing on site upgrades when the time comes and are talking to an interested party for the US right now.

I should add that the world supply situation and energy cost not only affects material availability and pricing but manufacturing availability and cost is changing aswell. Therefor we are working on providing alternative casework for the Extreme environment, the Extreme as it exists right now, in its current package is going to see a significant price raise, we have been postponing this for a long time now but it‘s looking increasingly unavoidable.
How does this affect those of us that ordered Extreme’s under the current pricing structure but haven’t taken delivery of our Extreme? Will we be offered an upgrade path prior to completion of our order? I’m assuming that you didn’t spend all this development time and capital if this was not an improvement to your existing Extreme’s power supply?

I’m also curious to know if this new power supply’s development was concurrent to your future networking product releases, and is performance of those products related to battery supply DC isolation.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Are you guys using XDMS on the Extremes in Munich?

Reactions: cat6man

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
How does this affect those of us that ordered Extreme’s under the current pricing structure but haven’t taken delivery of our Extreme? Will we be offered an upgrade path prior to completion of our order? I’m assuming that you didn’t spend all this development time and capital if this was not an improvement to your existing Extreme’s power supply?

I’m also curious to know if this new power supply’s development was concurrent to your future networking product releases, and is performance of those products related to battery supply DC isolation.

This will not be a available for several months but once it is we will make sure you do not end up paying more then you would have right now.

We have been working on this for about 2 years already.

Markus87

Feb 10, 2021
Solothurn, Switzerland
Great work @Taiko Audio team! This sounds really promising!
So I guess this is indeed the "problem solving power supply", correct?
Will you be releasing some more information about the planned usage as well as sonic improvements?
And will you be releasing some more information on the network card, switch and possibly even router in the course of Munich High End as well?
Exciting times ahead!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Will you be releasing some more information about the planned usage as well as sonic improvements?
And will you be releasing some more information on the network card, switch and possibly even router in the course of Munich High End as well?
Exciting times ahead!

Yes we will release a lot more information, I‘ve started working on a roadmap as we have 17 development projects running, releasing over the next 2 years. A roadmap should make things more transparent. But after the Munich show.

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
Wishing the Taiko Audio Team a productive and successful High End Munich 2022 Show.

Hope the start and your first full day has been stellar.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Exciting times ahead!
This is new for me. What problems does the Extreme's PSU have?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Incredible. They do look like pieces of art.
I can only imagine the buzz at the show.
And the number of questions that may be coming in.
Excited to hear about any more details as they become available, but enjoy the show!
And hopefully a few more rounds of hefeweizen are being pulled right now.
Für Ihre Gesundheit!

Last edited:

Tubeman66

Mar 31, 2019
View attachment 92967

Goodmorning!

Battery, it sounds interesting,
What type of battery do you intend to use?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing