Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
So, I'm one of the lucky ones that installed the network card with the switch and have simply enjoyed glorious music ever since, going on 14 days now. I do have my system in a Minnesota basement at the end of winter, when it's at its coldest, and I only heat the room with the waste heat off of my stereo, so perhaps I'm just in the flukey cold end of the spectrum. What is Taiko seeing for ration of success to challenges?

Reactions: ctydwn

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
So, I'm one of the lucky ones that installed the network card with the switch and have simply enjoyed glorious music ever since, going on 14 days now. I do have my system in a Minnesota basement at the end of winter, when it's at its coldest, and I only heat the room with the waste heat off of my stereo, so perhaps I'm just in the flukey cold end of the spectrum. What is Taiko seeing for ration of success to challenges?
Another lucky one with a system in a Michigan basement...

Reactions: ctydwn

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Yeah, lid open + holes worked for over 24 hours.I did not try lid and no holes.
No holes in the bracket and top cover removed has been working 24/7 for days here. Not in a basement, not in Michigan or Minnesota.

Steve Z

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Hi Steve.. Just curious as to the room temperature where your Taiko Server is?
This time of year we keep our house thermostat set to 57F (14C) from 0800 to 2300 and it cuts back to 50F (10C) from 2300 to 0800. Actual room temp near the rack is a little warmer with the amps and what not turned on.

Steve Z

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
This time of year we keep our house thermostat set to 57F (14C) from 0800 to 2300 and it cuts back to 50F (10C) from 2300 to 0800. Actual room temp near the rack is a little warmer with the amps and what not turned on.

Steve Z
Wow, you live in an Igloo! :eek:

Despite being Canadian, I’m a wimp. Room is 20-21C/71F. Top off the Extreme seems to work without issue. I did drill the bracket as well and didn’t try top off only.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
OT, but is there a rough estimate on the pricing of the digital interface and the BPS? Understand the router will be about 6k?

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
...it sounds like Emile has a solution in hand, but if heat is a concern short-term and cover-off is a no-go, it looks like one could either remove that square-ish copper plate adjacent to Slot 1 or the Slot 1 mounting bracket (if unused), or both, if powered off anyway. That's a pretty good size opening for airflow. Not that drilling holes ain't fun. My head is full of them.

BTW: I was able to get the new bracket/card installed this evening. The new bracket required a little *coaxing* even after final QA from Jacky!

It seems as if others were up in a jiff, but I had difficulty starting things, rebooting, starting services, etc. Ganbatte! (persevere) as they say in Japan. OMG. Sounds nice, but I could use a wee dram.
Yes, I installed mine on slot 1 for better clearance, since slot 3 is occupied.

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
My switch/card has been running 24/7 for more than a fortnight now without any problem. The room thermostat is set at I8.5 C, so not particularly warm but well above the temperatures in Eskimo Steve Z’s room. There seem to be a fair few of us who are not having any issues with their card which is puzzling. My Extreme is placed on a bottom shelf in the rack and so not exposed to rising heat from other equipment. From the photo’s I have seen, more folk seem to be using a top shelf and I wonder whether heat rising from other items in the rack might be causing a problem for some of you?

• Haha
Reactions: theaudiogeek

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I'm surprised that everyone is "trying to solve the problem". Emile has already said that they understand the problem. They are working on a permanent solution. I would think the fix, whatever it will be, will be coming soon.

Of course, knock yourselves out with your own fixes, me I'm just waiting for the Taiko solution and enjoying uninterrupted music with the switch and the old card, which, especially with file playback which sounds amazing. It will be fun to get another upgrade in a bit of time when the Taiko solution is announced and delivered.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
As much as I am a hands on person (and for those of you attempting to make it work "unreal perseverance"!) This would push me over the edge! I'll wait for Taiko's solution.
For those of you in which the network card is working it appears you all in cooler environments. People with Class A gear are already generating heat. In the South East USA, summers are HOT. AC is a must! BUT even with AC heat in the Audio section builds up. My Mephisto and Extreme sit on floor platforms next to each other. Granted I have 12" space between them but I am going to get them further apart and perhaps as(@oldmustang) suggested a heat baffle between the 2 pieces.

Reactions: Malcng

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
As much as I am a hands on person (and for those of you attempting to make it work "unreal perseverance"!) This would push me over the edge! I'll wait for Taiko's solution.
For those of you in which the network card is working it appears you all in cooler environments. People with Class A gear are already generating heat. In the South East USA, summers are HOT. AC is a must! BUT even with AC heat in the Audio section builds up. My Mephisto and Extreme sit on floor platforms next to each other. Granted I have 12" space between them but I am going to get them further apart and perhaps as(@oldmustang) suggested a heat baffle between the 2 pieces.

There’s really no need for any of that, just wait till we have a fix available.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It didn't work for me with no bracket. Ymmv

If that’s the case then there is something else wrong with your network card. I am assuming it didn’t work with the bracket either?

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
If that’s the case then there is something else wrong with your network card. I am assuming it didn’t work with the bracket either?

Nothing wrong with the card other then shutting down prematurely, ~40C before it should. No bracket, perforated bracket, no top cover, no other heatsources nearby can give you a few degrees more headroom, up to 10C at best, it’s not even close to a failsafe measure.

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Genuinely interested to find out what you settle on.

Visual of boiling liquid Nitrogen was just obscene enough to bring into focus how blunt of solutions result from more commonplace thinking where (rare) results are results. I have suspicions what direction you'll take, but not going to broadcast any ideas publicly. :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Nothing wrong with the card other then shutting down prematurely, ~40C before it should. No bracket, perforated bracket, no top cover, no other heatsources nearby can give you a few degrees more headroom, up to 10C at best, it’s not even close to a failsafe measure.

I guess my environment is favorable with the bracket removed. I have not had any disconnections even with the cover on.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I love waking up and finding there is always one pearl of a post made by Emile and this is it. For the world of me I can't understand why people feel they are smarter than Emile with their DIY fixes which other than dminches has proved temporary at best. To me it is a distraction but I can still play music and know how to reconnect when I lose server connection. It's all good guys. The solution is still somewhere in Emile's grey matter

Reactions: DW101

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing