Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Where did you read that. I read that there will be a new one box Extreme with the Bps. The dimensions are said to be 1” deeper all around and IIRC Emile posted it wounds sigh about 165pounds.
Yes, right; but that’s a new chassis altogether, as you noted. @MusicFellow was referring to whether the BPS could fit in the existing Extreme chassis, and I don’t think that’s the case.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes, right; but that’s a new chassis altogether, as you noted. @MusicFellow was referring to whether the BPS could fit in the existing Extreme chassis, and I don’t think that’s the case.

This what Emile wrote:

The BPS for the Extreme is much larger, it will need a large amount of cells to be able to get a workable amount on playing time (charge once every 24 hours). We are working on 3 scenarios for this:

1) An internal BPS in the existing current chassis.
2) An internal BPS in a new chassis matching the new Switch and Router looks, this chassis would be slightly larger and considerable heavier then the current Extreme and comes with, imho, improved looks. Of course you can exchange your current chassis under the same upgrade value protection plan. This new chassis will be much easier for us to manufacture and assemble.
3) An external BPS to power your current Extreme externally.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I don’t understand (1) because it seems to contradict what the rest of the document says, specifically the quotes I provided. Throughout the document it seems clear that if you want both the BPS and the Extreme in one chassis it’s going to be larger than the current chassis and about 2x the weight. Otherwise, the option is an external BPS chassis; or potentially just getting the AC to DC power supply from the BPS in the current Extreme chassis, which will provide some sonic benefit (but this is not a battery powered supply).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This what Emile wrote:

The BPS for the Extreme is much larger, it will need a large amount of cells to be able to get a workable amount on playing time (charge once every 24 hours). We are working on 3 scenarios for this:

2) An internal BPS in a new chassis matching the new Switch and Router looks, this chassis would be slightly larger and considerable heavier then the current Extreme and comes with, imho, improved looks. Of course you can exchange your current chassis under the same upgrade value protection plan. This new chassis will be much easier for us to manufacture and assemble.
3) An external BPS to power your current Extreme externally.
Number 2 is the option to which I referred and to which I am committing

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Will the new Router use the same exact DC plug size as the Switch? (I checked the PDF but didn’t see this referenced)… planning to order another Teddy Pardo PSU…

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I don’t understand (1) because it seems to contradict what the rest of the document says, specifically the quotes I provided. Throughout the document it seems clear that if you want both the BPS and the Extreme in one chassis it’s going to be larger than the current chassis and about 2x the weight. Otherwise, the option is an external BPS chassis; or potentially just getting the AC to DC power supply from the BPS in the current Extreme chassis, which will provide some sonic benefit (but this is not a battery powered supply).

But (1) isn't the answer to the question "will there be a 1 box solution with the current Extreme chassis." What I quoted above is also in the same PDF you are referencing.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
But (1) isn't the answer to the question "will there be a 1 box solution with the current Extreme chassis." What I quoted above is also in the same PDF you are referencing.
I am not sure what you mean. I was answering @MusicFellow ’s question who was wondering if the current Extreme chassis can be used to also house the BPS and would there be a price discount for doing so. It doesn’t look like that is possible - if you want 1 chassis it will be a new chassis, not the existing Extreme chassis.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am not sure what you mean. I was answering @MusicFellow ’s question who was wondering if the current Extreme chassis can be used to also house the BPS and would there be a price discount for doing so. It doesn’t look like that is possible - if you want 1 chassis it will be a new chassis, not the existing Extreme chassis.

I would suggest your read Christiaan's entire PDF which addresses that question and clearly states they are trying to devise a BPS solution which fits in the current Extreme chassis.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I would suggest your read Christiaan's entire PDF which addresses that question and clearly states they are trying to devise a BPS solution which fits in the current Extreme chassis.
I just re-read v5 and quoted the sections that do not say that at all. If you can provide quotes supporting use of the same chassis I would love to read them.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just re-read v5 and quoted the sections that do not say that at all. If you can provide quotes supporting use of the same chassis I would love to read them.

PDF v6, page 5 under Single-Box all-in-one version and 2-Box version.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
PDF v6, page 5 under Single-Box all-in-one version and 2-Box version.
Yes, v5 is the same. That one line you quoted does not make sense as the entire document is clear: a single box solution would be larger and would not be the current Extreme chassis.
So this is probably an error:
We are currently working on 3 scenarios:
My guess is this references the AC to DC part of the BPS which could be provided as an option and fit inside the current Extreme. Everywhere else in the PDF it’s clear that a single chassis solution would not be the existing Extreme chassis.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
My guess is this references the AC to DC part of the BPS which could be provided as an option and fit inside the current Extreme. Everywhere else in the PDF it’s clear that a single chassis solution would not be the existing Extreme chassis.

Yes there will be a BPS option which fits in the existing Extreme chassis.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Yes there will be a BPS option which fits in the existing Extreme chassis.

then i guess the question becomes what differs between a bps in the current enclosure and one in the newer/larger one?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
then i guess the question becomes what differs between a bps in the current enclosure and one in the newer/larger one?
With the internal battery, the musicians are in your room. With the external battery, the musicians are both in your room, and after their performance, they come out to your listening position with a tip jar.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Given the special noise regulation capabilities of both the router and the switch, is it okay for both to be powered by the same LPS (shared ground) or would it still be better to use two separate LPS for better isolation?

Reactions: nonesup

John T

Feb 15, 2022
My switch arrived without issue other than the wrong length of the Direct Attach Cable, I requested 2m not 1m. This is no big deal. Beautifully packed! I'm assuming I am to use all RJ-45 until the card issue is resolved? The direct attach cable is for the new network card and cannot be utilized until the issue is resolved? Correct?
Less than 30 minutes of play, first observation is a crispness, almost as if its faster. An openness, more distinct, I know organic has been used...For sure different from the M12....

Reactions: tpsully99

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
My switch arrived without issue other than the wrong length of the Direct Attach Cable, I requested 2m not 1m. This is no big deal. Beautifully packed! I'm assuming I am to use all RJ-45 until the card issue is resolved? The direct attach cable is for the new network card and cannot be utilized until the issue is resolved? Correct?
Less than 30 minutes of play, first observation is a crispness, almost as if its faster. An openness, more distinct, I know organic has been used...For sure different from the M12....

Hi John,

We just checked but your dealer ordered a 1 meter DAC cable.

Yes you can use it as a RJ45 in / RJ45 out switch using the 2 SFP RJ45 modules.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thanks Bob, No 1M is too short
Hi John,

We just checked but your dealer ordered a 1 meter DAC cable.

Yes you can use it as a RJ45 in / RJ45 out switch using the 2 SFP RJ45 modules.
Any sonic advantage of using the Direct Attach Cable over RJ45 in out?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing