Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Is the Taiko router firmware update a Taiko-sourced update or the router OS manufacturer's update? I had assumed the latter. It would be interesting to find out (if it is the OEM manufacturer's update) what they have to say about it or if they have any FAQs that address this particular glitch.

Steve Z

We have outsourced the router software support.

Reactions: oldmustang
Although I have to say that in my local power case I live in a semi-rural area in a small enclave of private homes, each either on their own transformer or at most sharing a transformer with one other home (my home enjoys its own transformer). There is no heavy industry within miles of my location and the closest large loads are irrigation pumps for agriculture, which are still over a mile away and are not active at this time of year. Don't discount the effect of the inductive reactance of transformers and long lengths of buried cables at smoothing out spikes and dips in electrical supply.

Having worked professionally in electrical power generation and distribution I'm very familiar with the daily load demand curve. The local variation in electrical demand represented by my own home and my neighbors is pretty minor (lights, TVs, kitchen appliances, computers, this time of the year heat pumps) and I generally listen (at least critically listen) during the same general time each evening.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes, daily variation in power supply quality is a real thing and can affect audio quality, but in my case is much less than what some folks suffer through. As a mechanism for significant differences in what I personally hear from Roon and XDMS I'm not sure that electrical power quality in the main factor.

Is it possible that Roon sound quality is driven as much or more by the user-load on Roon's back-end driving how much data Roon's servers have to deliver?

Steve Z
I'm in an industrial area which I presume has a significant impact on system performance. SQ is OK from 5am to 7am, then it goes in the toilet until 5pm, the early evening tapers down till the best SQ is achieved about 11pm. Depending on the time of day, sometimes Roon flavor is better; sometimes XDMS flavor. Over the last week I've been rolling speakers, amplifiers, cables, tubes as well as Roon and XDMS trying to get a handle on what works now since the updates. At one extreme, XDMS sounded like razor blades with my SS amp and unshielded cables. On the other extreme, Roon with tube amps, shielded cables, and horn speakers sounded like a wet blanket.

Steve, I see you use power conditioning as well. Mine is a modest Shunyata unit with only about 20db of RF attenuation. Also, the NIC and switch aren't due to arrive here for another couple weeks.

So bottom line is both Roon and XDMS are doing their jobs better than ever since last week's updates/fixes. When conditions are right, SQ is the best it has been. However, now the effects of my power fluctuations, which I've known about for some time, are more pronounced than ever. Power and network upgrades just became more important than an amplifier upgrade, maybe.

Perhaps Taiko has something in the works to remedy this.;)

We have outsourced the router software support.

i just now updated my router firmware, no issues.
the one thing that might snag people is that your pc/tablet may revert to your home network while the router is rebooting, so go into settings and re-select your taiko wifi to see the router.

the one thing that might snag people is that your pc/tablet may revert to your home network while the router is rebooting, so go into settings and re-select your taiko wifi to see the router.
Great point

Great point
A hint to reconnect to Taiko Wi-Fi and log back in after the Router reboot is included in the Firmware Update Guide:)

Attachments

• Taiko Audio Router Firmware update Guide.pdf
    316.1 KB · Views: 15
I couldn't see the firmware upgrade either until I reset the Taiko Router (via software).

One question- despite me setting a static IP on my main asus router, my Taiko Router keeps acquiring a new IP upon reset. Anyone know why this is the case?

I couldn't see the firmware upgrade either until I reset the Taiko Router (via software).

One question- despite me setting a static IP on my main asus router, my Taiko Router keeps acquiring a new IP upon reset. Anyone know why this is the case?

I ran into both issues. Rebooting the router via software allowed me to see and perform the update.

Also, I set the router to a static IP on my main router but the IP address changes at times.

I wanted to thank Khyle for a great help with updating my router.
My router was resistant for the tricks prescribed here but finally it is updated now.

Very important thing after update. Not sure why no one is mentioning it here ?
I have a big positive impact on the SQ with this router update.
The sound is much more controlled and sharp.
Part of that lower SQ was wifi droping issue and the fact that
in my router the same ( identical) MAC addtes was for LAN and WAN.
Also I had MAC address changing after every power on.
But It looks like all is solved now.

I thought the router update was just for the wifi? Did it do other things too?

Reactions: Steve Williams
I had 2 additional issues but it looks this update soled it !

I think I have the changed mac address issue too. For some reason I can’t keep the router’s IP address on my main router static.

Can someone advise how one accesses Extreme storage with router/switch in place. I tried on both Taiko wireless and home network with my MacBook. When I click network in finder, "Taiko" opens on the Taiko wireless network, then when I click that, I get "USB". On home network I just don't find anything. I think someone may have addressed this earlier but with all the chaos about firmware update etc, I can't find it. Any help appreciated.

Can someone advise how one accesses Extreme storage with router/switch in place. I tried on both Taiko wireless and home network with my MacBook. When I click network in finder, "Taiko" opens on the Taiko wireless network, then when I click that, I get "USB". On home network I just don't find anything. I think someone may have addressed this earlier but with all the chaos about firmware update etc, I can't find it. Any help appreciated.
Here is what I do:
1. Connect to Taikoaudio network from your MacBook
2. Open Finder. Select Go -> Connect to server
3. You will have to enter credentials
4. The Music folder shows up in the 'Select the volumes you want.." window and hit OK. The Finder will open up with the contents from the Music folder.

Reactions: oldmustang
Just noticed Roon got aquired by Harman
( is now joining the family of companies owned by Harman)

Here is what I do:
1. Connect to Taikoaudio network from your MacBook
2. Open Finder. Select Go -> Connect to server
3. You will have to enter credentials
4. The Music folder shows up in the 'Select the volumes you want.." window and hit OK. The Finder will open up with the contents from the Music folder.
I do not see any "go" option when I open finder

ok thanks, I found that and can get to the credentials page but it wants a password for the Extreme. Is there a standard one?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing