Taking the Lumin X-1 DAC/Streamer to a Higher Level

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Angus, Leung, Founder and Chief Engineer of Westminster Labs has developed an upgraded DC power cable that connects the Lumin X1s external power supply to the mothership. As many Lumin owners know, the external power supply is one of the key features of their flagships' excellent performance.

Given Angus's close relationship with Lumin, he set out to create a cable that would enable the X1 to reach even higher heights. Using Westminsters bespoke "Autria Alloy" solid-core conductor, the DC power-link enables the X1 to reach new heights. Autria Alloy undergoes extensive heat and cryo treatment after the extrusion process. It is then hand-polished to a mirror-like finish and coated with a special epoxy-based material before insertion into a PTFE tube. As a further part of the process, each conductor is twisted at varying degrees along the length of the cable in a manner that lowers the noise floor and improves fidelity.

Options:
1. carbon fiber outer sleeve (shown below) for even greater protection against radiated noise
2. cable length: .6 or 1.2 meters

Interested Lumin X1 owners may request pricing and a no-obligation in-home demo by sending me a DM.

Gary

X1_DC_Carbon.jpg

bitstream

Jul 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Someone had to be first: It's my pleasure and privilege to be the first U.S. customer for the WestminsterLab LUMIN DC Cable (thank you Gary and Angus). Inspired by High Fidelity (Wojciech Pacu?a) and Mono & Stereo (Matej Isak) reviews, and with great faith in the people behind the product at Lumin (Angus' contribution is highlighted by the analog output section of the X1), I took the plunge.

I'm delighted to report that once it settled in (break-in is a thing), the WL cable has taken my already sweet-sounding system (Lumin X1, Marantz Reference SC-7S2 and MA-9S2 amps, Tannoy Canterbury GR speakers, Furutech AC distribution and interconnects, Masterbuilt and Triode Wire Labs cords, Iconoclast speaker cables) another notch up.

It's hard for a non-reviewer to characterize, but the background is "blackest" to date, and music (100% streaming with Tidal HiFi, including MQA; mostly acoustic blues and folk) really pops! Perhaps most striking is hearing subtle percussion sounds previously hidden in the mix – bongo, cymbals, maracas, tambourine – revealed for the first time. Edges are well-defined vs. sanded off. Bass drums have palpable, dynamic impact.

More than ever, I'm convinced that how we turn electricity into sound matters, and that systematically eliminating noise from a system is a huge return on capital (and time) invested. I'm thrilled to have maximized my Lumin X1 performance with the WL DC cable, and expect you will be, too.

Cheers, Brian

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
A DC cable has a major impact on the sound quality. I am glad that the WL cable is taking things to new heights to an already excellent Lumin X1.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Someone had to be first: It's my pleasure and privilege to be the first U.S. customer for the WestminsterLab LUMIN DC Cable (thank you Gary and Angus). Inspired by High Fidelity (Wojciech Pacu?a) and Mono & Stereo (Matej Isak) reviews, and with great faith in the people behind the product at Lumin (Angus' contribution is highlighted by the analog output section of the X1), I took the plunge.

I'm delighted to report that once it settled in (break-in is a thing), the WL cable has taken my already sweet-sounding system (Lumin X1, Marantz Reference SC-7S2 and MA-9S2 amps, Tannoy Canterbury GR speakers, Furutech AC distribution and interconnects, Masterbuilt and Triode Wire Labs cords, Iconoclast speaker cables) another notch up.

It's hard for a non-reviewer to characterize, but the background is "blackest" to date, and music (100% streaming with Tidal HiFi, including MQA; mostly acoustic blues and folk) really pops! Perhaps most striking is hearing subtle percussion sounds previously hidden in the mix – bongo, cymbals, maracas, tambourine – revealed for the first time. Edges are well-defined vs. sanded off. Bass drums have palpable, dynamic impact.

More than ever, I'm convinced that how we turn electricity into sound matters, and that systematically eliminating noise from a system is a huge return on capital (and time) invested. I'm thrilled to have maximized my Lumin X1 performance with the WL DC cable, and expect you will be, too.

Cheers, Brian
Thanks, Brian! Angus and I genuinely appreciate your comments and are glad you are enjoying your system.

Reactions: bitstream

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I still say Lumin X-1 is the best DAC/ Streamer under $19k. I had the Lumin U-1 mini, A-1 D-2, and X-1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing